TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for people who do inspections or who have info on this topic

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for people who do inspections or who have info on this topic

I just took my Camaro in today to get it inspected, they wouldnt inspect the car because it diddnt have the heat stove pipe(its a TBI Car right now)on it going to the aircleaner!!!!!I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THAT BEFORE!If you ask me he was being a D*CK, my car is always kept in tip top shape and mechanically sound and they always seem to find some little BULLS**T to hassel you on.I used to live in NY. where they have inspections like CA.and no one ever gigged me on a Piece of TINFOIL!!! So My question is,do these mechanics have the power to turn down a car that has a TPI in it that diddnt have it originally?Does anyone have any info on rules to follow for a swap like this? Any help or advice would be great.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You swapped a TPI for TBI correct? If so, as long as it meets the model year of your cars emmisions standards then I don't believe they can fail you for that. That pipe to the air cleaner is to help the motor warm up quicker, if you have the TBI in still, then they can fail you cause it helps cold start emmisions.

------------------
'87GTA w/ SLP Cold Air, MSD Coil, Airfoil, Gutted MAF, AFPR, TES Headers, HI-FLOW CAT, Flowmaster Catback, Energy Suspension Master Bushing Kit
Old 11-06-2001, 09:43 PM

I know they can fail me for the stove pipe, I just cant believe this guy bothered and he was rude about it which was uncalled for.I have never had a problem with emmissions or inspections for years before this.Theres nothing more aggravating than dealing with a ****y mechanic, especially when I know my way around a car well and they talk to you like you dont know what a spark plug does.I am switching from TBI to the Speed density TPI system , which was available in the year that my car was built (91),the question is are they going to have a problem with a different system in the car?From what I have heard, the emmissions are cleaner on port fuel systems as opposed to TBI systems anyhow.I would hate to put it in and then have to take it off to get a sticker.States need to look at the factorys polluting and not worry about a piece of tin foil that dosent do SH*T for my emmissions.I can see them gig you on a giant cam or no cat, but a stove pipe? COME ON.
Old 11-08-2001, 12:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Formula / 09 G8
Engine: LS1 / LS3
Transmission: M6 / M6
Axle/Gears: 3:42 / 3:27
I asked one of the technitions about a 350 swap last time i was there. He said that if i told them that i went from a 305 to a 350 (its legal because it was an option on for that year) i would be ok. All they would do is test it for a 350 and if i passed the standards i would be fine. If you have a question, go down there and ask what you can and can't do. If your like me, they talk to you about it while constantly reving your car thinking they are cool.
Old 11-08-2001, 04:37 PM

Thats what im hoping they will say,but its getting to be a real drag to mess around with your car these days. It seems like when you do a modification to your car these days you got worry about what they will say when you roll up in there. I guess it also depends on who you take it to also.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:14 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts
Car: '90 Trans Am-12.45@110.71
Engine: 355 w/AFR 195's Elem. 400/430 HP/TQ
Transmission: Tremec T-56
Axle/Gears: 12 Bolt 3.73
If you do the TPI swap cut that heat stove off the manifold.
You are right about the option was available so it should pass with flying colors, mine does.

------------------
Chronologically challenged. But still kicking!
'92 CAMARO RS
305 TBI 5/spd (now TPI)
B4C Alt.
Cam change:TRW 198/210 ,450/.460 114 LSA
Stock TBI manifolds
'85 IROC Ex.
14.94-92.00 mph
SPDC base and "350" Vortec coming soon!
'69 camaro-BB/Lenco,1050 dominators, /Pump Gas/no drugs 8.97-150+/3200lbs.
SoCal Thirdgen F-Bodies
Old 11-08-2001, 11:47 PM

Car: 87 IROC
Engine: LB9 for the moment
Transmission: T5
when they explain the results of the test they should start off by saying something positive like everything looks good with the exception of_______ ... especially when the failure is something trivial like that silly piece of tinfoil... when they first started using the temperature controlled air filter housing it served for three positive purposes... 1 reduced HC & CO emmisions on cold start and warm up. 2 heat the incomming air fuel mixture to help atomize the fuel to improve drivabilty @ colder temps. 3 prevent ice build up (carb/throttle body icing) to keep the throttle from sticking open and restricting airflow...

as far as what the legal ramification would be for the TPI swap that varies from area to area... if they know enough to tell from the 8th letter of the vin whether or not the car was originall equiped with a certain induction system they can (within the law issue a failure or give you a referal concerning the alteration (at least this is true in my area)... what I would recommend is contacting the controlling authorities and ask them about your options... or you could try to befreind one of the techs and picking their brain on what you should do or be aware of...

if you act like you want to comply with their rules they become a little more leniant but if you seem like you are wanting to fight the rules or bypass them you usually cause yourself more headaches...

zroc
Old 11-09-2001, 04:40 PM

Im hoping they wont give me a hard time, its a better system anyway.I emailed the state DMV 2 days ago to see if they had any info on it but I havent recieved anything back from them yet. I know they will put the vin # in the test machine, but if I remember correctly it only brought up the engine size and not the type of induction.I guess to look legal I would have to also change the emmission lable under the hood too.I havent heard of anyone failing for a tpi swap,has anyone failed for this swap before?
Old 11-12-2001, 11:58 AM
jmd
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Car: `86 SS / `87 SS
Engine: L69 w/ TPI on top / 305 4bbl
Transmission: `95 T56 \ `88 200-4R
It's real simple. When you put TPI into a car that didn't originally get it, you technically need ALL the emissions equipment. My 86 has all the emissions stuff from an 86 Camaro, and they are required to test it as an 86 Camaro by Federal regulations. They can't say "um, this didn't come this way" and fail me.

Simple things: you can delete the heat riser stove crap when you go TPI. The one on my Hooker headers goes unused.

A drivetrain system must be same year or newer (86 TPI = not legal in '90 TBI ride)

Funny things: On my inspection, they put 5700 as motor. Heh. it's a 305. They also didn't seem to care if it was supposed to be stick or auto.

Anyway, put the heat stove on, and retest; obviously it should pass.

------------------
jmd
1986 SS with...
86LB9 TPI atop the original L69, Hooker emissions legal PN 2050 headers, stock L69 cat (yes, a real one), hydraulic clutch T5, Energizer 272 cam, chargedair.com fan, Global West CNR-88-C negative roll kit, 89 Iroc front springs, CC635 Moog rear springs and a whole bunch of other fun stuff

Last edited by jmd; 06-05-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2001, 05:10 PM

Thanks for all the replys everyone, I really appreciate it. I am going to put the stove pipe on to pass for now, till I swap to TPI this spring.I never heard of what transmission you have being of any concern on a inspection but you never know these days and I just finished a swap to a T-5 about a month ago Anyway the only reason why I was concerned with the TPI swap was because I want to keep the car perfectly street legal without having to worry every year when the inspection comes up that I dont get some inspection mechanic with a chip on their shoulder.