TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR HEADS, question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFR HEADS, question?

I just recieved my AFR 1018 heads, and they sent me a set that does not have a heat riser, wrong bolt pattern for the intake, and they will not accept centerbolt valve covers. How essential is it to have the heat risers? Afr only sells 74cc heads with the heat risers, the 68cc are non emmision legal. I would like the smaller cc heads if possible? So can I use the heads with out the heat risers? If so, what will it compromise not having the heat risers?
Old 10-31-2001, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
Sounds like you didn't discuss with AFR about your application. They will send you EXACTLY what you order. If you don't ask for the right stuff OR if you don't discuss your application with them then you will get the wrong heads. If you want an emissions legal head then you need to order the emissions legal version of the head and tell them to mill them down to 64ccs (or less), drill for temp sensors, modify for centerbolt valve covers, and set the intake bolt angles correctly for your application. If I were you I would send those heads back and order the correct ones. Discuss your application with them and tell them exactly what year, make, model motor you are putting the heads on.

Tim

------------------
TRAXION's 1990 IROC-Z
Best Time = 12.244 @ 112.51mph (1.778 60' / 7.819@88.32mph in the 1/8)
All Natural. No Force. No Drugs. Stock Bottom End. Stock Body Panels.
Gunning for NA 11's with bigger cam, bigger stall, and bigger exhaust.
-=ICON Motorsports=-
Moderator: PROM board at thirdgen.org
Old 10-31-2001, 11:14 PM

I ordered my heads through thunderbolt performance. I told them exaclty what i needed, application, emmission legal ect. I will find out in a few days what's going to happen
Old 11-01-2001, 09:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird
Engine: Pontiac 301
Transmission: TH350
I ordered my AFR heads #1017 - the 74cc, flat-milled to 68cc, with heat riser. If you ordered #1018, you got what you asked for. See the webpage <A HREF="http://www.airflowresearch.com/chev190.html">http://www.airflowresearch.com/chev190.html</A> for this information.

If you don't have the heat riser, you aren't technically emissions-compliant. Your EGR won't work unless you use a corvette/vortec head style.

That's it. If you require a CARB EO number, you have to get the other heads. I see by your tagline that you're in WA though. I'm not sure how the emissions inspection in WA is. Best bet is to talk with someone who's built an engine and ask them how closely parts are checked at emissions.

Unless your heart was set on centerbolt covers (for that stock look) I wouldn't cry over that one; you have a greater selection of perimeter bolt covers, and you can more easily get a cover if you want to run tall rollers or a stud girdle.

To get emissions-legal heads, you wanted to order #1017 plus centerbolt valve cover option plus milling to desired CC option.

Additionally, if you told Thunderbolt Performance that you wanted emissions-legal heads and you got the #1018, and you NEED emissions-legal heads, then I'd phone them up and complain. Did you pay with a credit card? If so, you can leverage them with your CC company if the shop is of no help.

Phone up AFR and ask them exactly what was ordered too; maybe they goofed up, not the shop. Get all of your information compiled, then find out if you forgot to ask for emissions-legal heads, the shop wrote it down but didn't order the right thing, or maybe AFR goofed on a digit.

[This message has been edited by afgun (edited November 01, 2001).]
Old 11-02-2001, 08:48 AM

That's a negitive! I checked on the 1018 part number and they state in the catalogue that they have the 72deg bolt pattern for the intake and have centerbolt valve covers. They do not have the heat risers..this is my mistake. Can you run these heads without the heat riser on a car that normally has the heat riser? I may be stuck getting the trickflows? Long story, but i need to finish this project before December and AFR has to make the heads...
Old 11-02-2001, 10:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird
Engine: Pontiac 301
Transmission: TH350
Yes, you can run those heads without the heat riser; however, your EGR will be non-functional if you do.

If you need EGR and use the heads you have, you'll have to hook up a corvette-style EGR (fed from the exhaust) and must have a compatible intake manifold.