TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Injector cleaning...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector cleaning...

Have any of you ever had your injectors cleaned by a device called a Motor Vac? What is this device and did you have any problems with it. I've heard that some injectors can be ruined with such a device. Any comments welcome.

------------------
1987 Camaro IROC-Z
350 TPI (L98), HyperTech Airfoil, K&N Filters and modified airboxes, AC Delco RapidFires, Taylor SpiroPro 8mm wires, Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings for front and rear LCAs and sway bars, KYB struts and shocks, BFG g-Force Z-rated tires, MAC STB, MAC SFCs, JET low temp stat, CarSound Hi-flow Cat, 3" Mandrel-bent pipes, Flowmaster muffler, Corvette Servo, TransGo Shift Kit, Corvette 2000 Stall, TruCool LPD tranny cooler, T-tops.

2001 Sunfire GT
2.4L, 5-speed, K&N cone filter, interior detailing, 200W Monsoon Sound System (8 speakers), Silver Metallic exterior with grey interior.

Web: http://www.angelfire.com/on3/whitelightening
Old 09-24-2001, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

Nobody?

------------------
1987 Camaro IROC-Z
350 TPI (L98), HyperTech Airfoil, K&N Filters and modified airboxes, AC Delco RapidFires, Taylor SpiroPro 8mm wires, Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings for front and rear LCAs and sway bars, KYB struts and shocks, BFG g-Force Z-rated tires, MAC STB, MAC SFCs, JET low temp stat, CarSound Hi-flow Cat, 3" Mandrel-bent pipes, Flowmaster muffler, Corvette Servo, TransGo Shift Kit, Corvette 2000 Stall, TruCool LPD tranny cooler, T-tops.

2001 Sunfire GT
2.4L, 5-speed, K&N cone filter, interior detailing, 200W Monsoon Sound System (8 speakers), Silver Metallic exterior with grey interior.

Old 09-24-2001, 04:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
Never heard of it, but rich @ www.cruzinperformace.com can clean and flowmatch (by substitution w/ his inventory) your injectors for under $100.
...ed
Old 09-24-2001, 04:21 PM
Supreme Member

BTW, sometimes it takes more than a couple hours to get an answer, no need for a BTT on the same day, or even the next day. That's the beauty of the multiple forums of this site, it gives every topic a chance to dwell near the top so that even people who stop in only once a day or even every few days will see it and respond.
Old 09-25-2001, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

Sorry Ed, not trying to hog bandwidth or anything.

I've heard of www.cruzinperformace.com but that involves removing and sending my injectors out to him. That's one step I'm trying to eliminate. I'm not having any huge problems as of yet, just trying to do some preventative maintainance. If I was having serious problems, than I would definately consider going to Rich.

------------------
1987 Camaro IROC-Z

2001 Sunfire GT

Old 09-25-2001, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

No problemo...

Anyhow, about sending them out. First off, rich's turnaround time is fast. I sent him injectors priority mail (like $5) on a friday, and i had 'em back the next friday, and he knew i didn't need 'em in a hurry. So if you can spare your car for a couple days and a few extra bucks for overnighting or something it can go pretty fast.
Beyond that, you could always buy a set of used injectors and send them out. Thats what i did. Average cost for used injectors is $30-50. Then after you swap you can always sell your stockers to make the money back.

Finally, why i feel this is a great idea. You are getting back a set of injectors that are perfectly cleaned, and for a couple bucks he'll send you back a set matched w/n 1%. The flow matched part is key IMHO. Unlike carb/TBI, fuel distribution is entirely dependent on how well the injectors match (and how much air each cylinder gets, which in TPI is less than perfect, but c'est la vie) Anyhow, factory tolerance is 5% (and thats stock, who knows how bad they degrade after that.) That means in a performace application, if you have one cylinder w/ a lean injector by 5% you'll have to skew the fueling for ALL the cylinders up 5% to cover that weak cylinder. Otherwise you'll have that one hole running lean and detonating. Thats the problem i am hoping to fix when i slap my injectors in (was waiting on a few parts.) My car has a weird tendency to detonate even though by all measures it seems to be on the rich side. My theory is that i have one or more cylinders that are running way leaner than the rest. While i haven't done any real exhaustive plug cut testing, what i have done does seem to support this theory.

Thus, by having known matched injectors i have eliminated one demon from my tuning... and i can be sure that i'm not adding extra fuel just to cover a weak hole, costing me performance. Of course i'm really pushing for max performace from my lil 305, to be fair i don't think this is a serious set back, but it could be a tenth or so.

edit...i just noticed you're in canada. Hmm, don;t know what the issues would be sending injectors back and forth across the border. I just thought i'd mention this. If you do decide to buy a set of used injectors, you can get them sent straight to rich to save you thge trouble of them going all over the place. You'll obviously want to email him ahead of time to set it up, but i had asked him about this before and he said ti was no problem.

[This message has been edited by Ed Maher (edited September 25, 2001).]