TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Pontiac Trans AM TPI Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans AM
Engine: 305 TPI F-Type
Transmission: 700 R4
1985 Pontiac Trans AM TPI Engine Rebuild

Hi everyone. I want to start out by introducing myself. I'm glad to have found this board.

I recently acquired a 1985 Pontiac Trans AM Firebird. It has the F-Type 305 TPI 5.0 Liter V8 engine, with a 700R4 tranny.

I would like to pull the engine and do a complete rebuild soon, and because this will be my first rebuild I was pondering a few questions:

* What parts are typically replaced during a rebuild? (I have a basic idea, but just wanted to check with some more experienced people)

* Does anyone know of any good site/pages dedicated to rebuilding this kind of engine?

* Any recommendations for an after-market/replacement parts supplier? I know about Jeg's, Summit etc. but was curious if there's any cool places to get things like seals and more standard-type replacement parts.

*Finally, any suggestions for what would be good parts to replace with high-performance parts instead of stock ones?

Thanks for looking everyone!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: 1985 Pontiac Trans AM TPI Engine Rebuild

Being as how this is gonna be your first..... Do you need this done quickly? Do you have to drive this car everyday? What kind of money do you want to spend? What kind of power are you looking for? Will this be a daily driver? Or a weekend warrior? What is the ultimate use you want to put this car to? Drags? Autocross? Just something fun to drive?

What you may want to consider is, picking up a rebuildable 350, and still be able to drive the car while you are putting the motor together. (that, and for the same money, you get more bang for the buck with a 350, and they can be had rather cheaply.....)

But in any event.... depending on what you want to do, will be a major factor in what parts you want to change out. If you just want to freshen up the motor, then, tear it down, inspect everything, and only replace what needs to be replaced. (Bearings, seals, and gaskets should be a given.....) You will also need to consider the cost of any machine work that may be required.

What kind of tools do you have? What kind of work area do you have? Ever used precision measuring equipment?

I am most certainly NOT trying to talk you out of doing this, but, keep in mind, this is also NOT an inexpensive hobby. (habit... addiction..... etc...) I will warn you now. Once you start, you will be hooked....... Your girlfriend will hate you. Your friends will wonder what happened to you. You will not feel right without some grease under your nails. I should stop now
Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ploegi
Being as how this is gonna be your first..... Do you need this done quickly? Do you have to drive this car everyday? What kind of money do you want to spend? What kind of power are you looking for? Will this be a daily driver? Or a weekend warrior? What is the ultimate use you want to put this car to? Drags? Autocross? Just something fun to drive?

What you may want to consider is, picking up a rebuildable 350, and still be able to drive the car while you are putting the motor together. (that, and for the same money, you get more bang for the buck with a 350, and they can be had rather cheaply.....)

But in any event.... depending on what you want to do, will be a major factor in what parts you want to change out. If you just want to freshen up the motor, then, tear it down, inspect everything, and only replace what needs to be replaced. (Bearings, seals, and gaskets should be a given.....) You will also need to consider the cost of any machine work that may be required.

What kind of tools do you have? What kind of work area do you have? Ever used precision measuring equipment?

I am most certainly NOT trying to talk you out of doing this, but, keep in mind, this is also NOT an inexpensive hobby. (habit... addiction..... etc...) I will warn you now. Once you start, you will be hooked....... Your girlfriend will hate you. Your friends will wonder what happened to you. You will not feel right without some grease under your nails. I should stop now
Oh I'm hooked already lol. The old man gave me the bug.

As of right now, it's my daily driver. That will not me the case for much longer though. I plan on starting this rebuild around May when I can get a new car as my daily driver. I'm going to take my time with the rebuild and do it right, do it cool.

I'd like it to be a fun car to use as my main vehicle in summertime, and Id also like to take it out to the Martin drag strip occasionally to compete in the street bracket (just running consistent times) or just run it and get a timecard for fun. (I'm planning on getting my competition license in summer). In any case, my aim isn't to take it out on the track/road and beat the hell out of it daily, I'm going to baby it.

Also, I am planning on doing a new paint job and re-decal after the engine restoration, and redoing the interior so I can take it around to car shows too. Also putting in a stereo, TA radials, shift kit, and MSD ignition box. Might get one of those spiffy shifters too.

As for the area, that would be dad's garage. He has just about everything in there - engine stand, air compressor, every tool and gadget you could want, jacks, etc. So I'm pretty well equipped there.

You said bearings, seals, and gaskets. Thanks for the tip. Anything else I should include in the extensive rebuild? I want to paint the engine block along with the engine compartment too.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 AM

Car: 86 vette
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: 3.07

It would be good to do compression check. does it smoke at start up or coasting? use oil. note oil pressure hot @ idle and run. look at the plugs. look in oil when changing for shinney little metal flakes. note also does it use/leak coolant? overheat? look in valve cover holes for sludge. 200,000 miles? each of these answers has a dollar sign to fix on it.

I have rebearinged an engine by dropping the pan. pulled heads to just lap valves. changed valve seals with air compressor in spark plug. cheap quick doesn't last as long, just as much work.

The parts you put in are to
A. fix a problem
B. last longer
C. go faster

New parts = more $ less time. check out crate motors and short & long blocks.

Do not keep all the receipts and add them up when you get done.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI

Originally Posted by pandin

~snip~

Do not keep all the receipts and add them up when you get done.

Indeed. Keep all the receipts, in case you need to warranty something, but, I do agree, don't add them up.... unless you have a strong heart.

I am still going to advocate getting a 350 to start as a base for your rebuild. Dollar for dollar, you will make more power, with the same pile of cash. (nothing beats the almighty cubic inch.....) Interested in a 400 short block?
Old 02-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

Car: 1989 T/A
Engine: PROCHARGED LB9
Transmission: FB BUILT 700r4 2200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10 BOLT EATON 3:73 POSI

if you want to rebuild that 305, look into powerhouse stroker kits. they make a nice 335 stroker for our cars, that kit a set of vortec heads. will be a fun combo with good exhaust and the right rear and tranny.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:28 AM

(1985 Pontiac Trans AM, TPI, 5.0 Liter V8 305)

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, I will definitely look into some of them.

I am having an electrical problem now however.

I keep blowing the 10 amp fuse for the gauges. It blew, I replaced it once and it lasted for a day, then blew again, I put another one in and it instantly blew.

Has anyone else had this problem? I think it's a short circuit in the wiring somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas about where I could start checking for the bad wire/short circuit? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:30 PM

Car: 86 vette
Engine: 383
Axle/Gears: 3.07

87 vette alternator housing broke, no bracket, fixed. No charge and display 10 amp fuse blows. Found a short because the lighted mirror was loose and chaffed the three wires bare, fixed bare wires and all is well.

That display wire circuit went to the egr, ccp, dash lights, ect, ect, almost everywhere. An exact wiring diagram for that car is a must, to find that type of trouble.

A technique to use is disconnect the battery and use an 8 amp charger to power the car. The fuse won't blow, watch the amp gauge on charger while looking for the shorted wire.

I have also wired a 12 volt light in place of the fuse (use spade connectors) when shorted the light will be bright. Make sure it pulls less then 8 amps.

Saves on fuses and burnt up wires.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 AM

rockauto.com has a full catalog of parts for all sorts of cars even dating back to the 30's i believe. i have an '86 trans am i am about to rebuild and this website is going to be very helpful to me. i know its 3 years+ after you originally posted but i hope this is of some help to you or someone in the future for some sort of rebuild!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ploegi

Indeed. Keep all the receipts, in case you need to warranty something, but, I do agree, don't add them up.... unless you have a strong heart.

I am still going to advocate getting a 350 to start as a base for your rebuild. Dollar for dollar, you will make more power, with the same pile of cash. (nothing beats the almighty cubic inch.....) Interested in a 400 short block?

Hi I was reading the blog do you still have the for hundred block for sell I brought a 85 trans am and I'm looking to replace the the 305. Quick question is the hole drive train set up on the 85 trans am chevy.