TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T.P.I. non-userfriendly

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T.P.I. non-userfriendly

My headache: When ever I start my car it floods, and has ever since I purchased it about 2years ago. First before I get into the nitty gritty I must tell you I have to hold the throttle down (just a little) for it to start. Ok now the nitty gritty, I have checked my fuel pressure and IF I do have a leaky injector it leaks very slow and it flood even if I kill it and start it right back up. But I havent ruled it out because I started missing and pulled the plugs and one was in horible(bunch of black crap that bonded/welded itself in between the gap) shape and the plugs arent that old. I know its not the computer because it went totaly out on me and I had to replace it, but go figure its still flooding. The reason I havent addressed this sooner is because I rarely drove it, now that I have a "little" money to throw into it I can't figure out what the @#$% it is. Any help would be appreciated. Also as you can probably tell I dont have a Gear Head Diploma, but I am picking up fast. So if posible try to define it on human terms, I have read alot about T.P.I. and know its almost imposible for a novise to trouble shoot. Thats why I am here!

88 Firebird 350 T.P.I. (Stock)

[This message has been edited by IH8FORD (edited July 05, 2001).]
Old 07-05-2001, 08:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Sounds like problems my 86 T/A had. Fuel Injectors Leaking Down. You will want to learn the process for removing the plenum, throttle body, and associated duct work, and the fuel rail.

Then remove the injectors and send them to rich at cruzin performance.

http://www.cruzinperformance.com

He will rebuild them and flowmatch them within 2 percent. Include your cold start valve also (9th injector). Including the Felpro gasket set you will need it will run about 100.00 to do this. Even though Rich will send your injectors back with new o-ring's I would suggest spending an extra 20 bucks and getting the big, blue, beefy ones that GM sells. They seem to install better and feel more secure.

The difference you will feel in your car is pretty amazing and since you have your car torn down to this point you might consider installing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator (set to about 46 psi), porting your plenum, and an aftermarket cap/coil/rotor for some extra zap.

It looks very intimidating but this board can step you through the complete process.

Old 07-05-2001, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 89 IrocZ
Engine: L98-ish
re: slightly depressing the gas pedal to start...may want to look in the Tech Central articles for setting the TPS voltage.

You also want to look into maybe cleaning out the TB's gunk that has accumulated over the years.
Old 07-06-2001, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats guys, is their any way to test your injectors before I have to send them in? Also instead of getting them rebuild should I replace them with aftermarket? I looked at some and they are pretty expinsive I would rather spend that money on better mods.

------------------
88 Firebird Formula
350 T.P.I. (Stock unfortunately)
Old 07-06-2001, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: 5.0 TPI
You could buy 8 new injectors and be guaranteed that they will not flow within 2% of each other. When you send your injectors in Rich checks the flow and sees if they are rebuildable. You really can't "change" the flow of an injector. He rebuilds them, rechecks the flow, and puts them in a bin sorted by the flow rate.

He then chooses 8 injectors for you that flow the same amount. They come back like brand new. Any probs you bet he will replace it free. I bent my cold start valve, my fault, and he sent me another one at no charge.

This is an excellent "upgrade" even if you're not having F/I problems. Our injectors weren't even this balanced from the factory. Mine were flowing 20% OFF from each other.

The first series of Bosch Injectors had a problem being "fuel additive non-friendly". People dumping injector cleaner in their tanks were actually damaging the injector tips. This will also make sure you have the second series or later.