TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surging/bad idle kicking my a$$. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC convert.
Engine: tpi 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 bolt
Surging/bad idle kicking my a$$. Need help!

I know its just another bad idle thread, but I need help BAD.

Since changing to headers and a manual trans, I can't get the motor to settle down and idle. With the auto it idled rough about 600 in gear, now its completely nuts. Fast and rough when not surging and trying to stall.

I've replaced the TPS and got the voltage right.

Ive removed and plugged all the vacuum ports on the motor one at a time, with no noticeable improvements.

I sucked on the egr valve like the bedheaded kid at autozone said to do, and it seemed to hold vacuum.

Last night I went to do the minimum air adjustment. It went by the book, except that I couldn't get the idle below 1200 (indicated by my factory "tachometer") without it surging. But the motor seemed pretty happy there. Sounded more like 800 to me. At least it was livable.

Then I hooked the IAC back up and re-started the car. Thats when it all went to ****. The idle went up and the motor started surging like crazy. The motor sounded like it was laboring as my header leaks started snapping real loud.

My buddy put a scanner on it the other day and said it was running lean, but my eyes start burning a few minutes after I start the car with the garage door open, and it's leaving black soot marks on the concrete under each tailpipe.

The engine does not run smooth at any rpm right now. It ran smooth once off idle with the automatic.

The only two sensors I messed with while putting on the headers are the O2 sensor and the sensor screwed into the passenger side of the block.

Please help me out guys, I'll stand on my head and sing the hokey pokey if it'll help me get this thing sorted out.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 85 T/A, 92 Rs
Engine: L98:D,L03:<
Transmission: 700r4x2
Axle/Gears: 3.23 bw, 2.73 10 bolt.
Re: Surging/bad idle kicking my a$$. Need help!

you're still running automatic IAC routines. you need to change that to manual routines, it might be the cause of your problems. auto's need more air to idle i would think, since they have drag from the torque converter, manuals don't.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Red 1987 IROC Convertible
Engine: 305 LB9 TPI
Transmission: T5 5-Speed
Axle/Gears: 9-Bolt 3.45

What is your fuel pressure? Stock fuel pressure regulator?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 IROC convert.
Engine: tpi 305
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 10 bolt

Stock FPR with 140K mi. it's on my list of things to do.

How do I convince my ecm that the auto's out and the stick's in?

The car got a LOT better when I replaced the O2 sensor, and unplugged the IAC. It's idleing pretty smooth, at about 750, and my fuel economy is pretty much back to normal.

Only problem is that the throttle blades will not close far enough to get the idle down without pushing them closed with my fingers. Just letting off the gas pedal wont force them closed completely.

This afternoon, I'll sand the bores with 1000 grit a little so, hopefully, the spring will close the TB completely.

I might plug the IAC in again and see what happens.