TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Ram Jet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM Ram Jet?

Can the Ram Jet, fuel Inj. system be purchased alone from anywhere? I want this system but I already have a new long block.
Old 02-01-2001, 01:58 PM

Which system are you talking about? The 350 or the 502? I think I saw the 350 setup in a magazine ad but I don't think the 502 setup is available yet. I guarantee it will caome in the very near future. While we're on the topic, does anyone know if the ramjet systems are MAF or speed density?
Old 02-01-2001, 04:03 PM

Ramjet=speed density
Old 02-01-2001, 05:13 PM

You can buy the intake by itself - check with Pace or Scoggin Dickey. GM has an engine management system to work with it, but you should be able to use your existing ECM with a few mod's - I think there is an aftermarket company developing a harness to adapt the OE harness to work, but I can't recall who that is. Do a search for this subject - SuperChevy had a Ram Jet that he planned to use on his thirdgen, and he probably had everything pretty much figured out. If you contact him he may be willing to help you. A few things to be aware of:
* The Ram Jet is designed to work with GM Vortec or Fast Burn heads only.
* There is no provision for EGR.
* It will require a mono-blade throttle body - your existing TB will not work. Fortunately there is good availability on used OE TB's which fits this intake.
* The last I checked OE fuel rails for the Ram Jet were not yet available, plus they were very expensive. The best bet would be to have a shop fabricate fuel rails for you.
* A modification of this degree will require a custom prom profile, which if you do not do this yourself could cost nearly as much as the intake.
* If you decide to use Vortec heads, be aware the stock springs are only rated to about .450 lift (somewhere thereabouts). New springs & machining the spring seats will add to the cost of the heads significantly.

I considered using the Ram Jet, but opted to go with a Super Ram to retain EGR (emissions testing in my state). Once you add all the "hidden" costs associated with Vortec heads and the Ram Jet, it's not as good a bargain as it appears at first glance.

Hope this helped,
Shawn
Old 02-01-2001, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AZ Speed and Marine does sell the RamJet efi setup. Some of the pieces such as the manifold are available from GMPP I have heard.