TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with 86 z28(hard to start, dies, and sometimes jerks)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problems with 86 z28(hard to start, dies, and sometimes jerks)

I have several problems.(I also posted this message on the gen. tech board). I bought an 86 z28, 305 tpi with 143000 miles about a month ago and I have been driving it periodically. It does several strange things.

1)It is difficult to start. I basically have to give it some gas as if it were carb.

2) It freaquently dies when slowing for stop lights. I believe this to be maf sensor related, because when this happens, it will sometimes set a code 33,(sometimes 36) and 45. Also, the idle speed constantly changes. However, sometimes it will die without setting a code. I tried disconecting the MAF and and this seems to have mostly solved that problem. Idle speed is *much* more stable(still changes a little)and it hasn't died in two days of driving this way. Understandably, you can really smell it runing rich.

So replace the MAF possibly the relay?? Is there an easy way to test either??

3) Sometimes when crusing(about 1700-2300 rpm), the car will jerk(not violently), almost as if I were tapping on the accelerator and the RPMs chang slightly yet rapidly. If I take my foot off the gas, it stops, if I step on the gas it stops. So what do you think could cause this? Slipping TC? Bad TPS?

4) It runs rough for a few minutes until it gets warm. Is this normal?

So where would you start trying to fix these things? Also, what general things should i do/check to this car to get it in good working condition?? Thanks for any replies, suggestions, or comments and sorry it was so long:-) ~ Arnold
Old 01-09-2001, 09:00 PM

ArnoldB, Your code 33 is more than likely a bad M.A.F. A way to check this is by (plug back in first) knocking on it with the handle of a screw driver, if your idle changes it is probably shot. Code45 replace your 02 sensor, I paid $10.00 for one so why not try? Your M.A.F. will greatly affect the performace of your vehicle so I hope this works. But remember This is only advice so dont spend a lot of money on new parts unless you have made the correct diagnosis. Keep us posted on how this works out, good luck.

------------------
1987 T.A.
4 bolt 40 over MSD 6al BBK/EDL throttle body Accel coil, wires Compu Cam Roller roc K&N filter Jet custom chip Removed screens and cooling fins on M.A.F. Ported Corvette heads 700r4 shift kit 40+ 4th gear 2300 stall Stock GTA rims with 255/50/16 rear 245/50/16 front Z rated comp ta's
Old 01-12-2001, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by ArnoldBraker:
I have several problems.(I also posted this message on the gen. tech board). I bought an 86 z28, 305 tpi with 143000 miles about a month ago and I have been driving it periodically. It does several strange things.

1)It is difficult to start. I basically have to give it some gas as if it were carb.

2) It freaquently dies when slowing for stop lights. I believe this to be maf sensor related, because when this happens, it will sometimes set a code 33,(sometimes 36) and 45. Also, the idle speed constantly changes. However, sometimes it will die without setting a code. I tried disconecting the MAF and and this seems to have mostly solved that problem. Idle speed is *much* more stable(still changes a little)and it hasn't died in two days of driving this way. Understandably, you can really smell it runing rich.

So replace the MAF possibly the relay?? Is there an easy way to test either??

3) Sometimes when crusing(about 1700-2300 rpm), the car will jerk(not violently), almost as if I were tapping on the accelerator and the RPMs chang slightly yet rapidly. If I take my foot off the gas, it stops, if I step on the gas it stops. So what do you think could cause this? Slipping TC? Bad TPS?

4) It runs rough for a few minutes until it gets warm. Is this normal?

So where would you start trying to fix these things? Also, what general things should i do/check to this car to get it in good working condition?? Thanks for any replies, suggestions, or comments and sorry it was so long:-) ~ Arnold
No an oxygen sensor wont fix your problem. Try checking your voltage at the TPS and look for spikes in volts as you rotate the throttle(see a manual for procedures). If that doesn't fix it, try cleaning or replacing the idle air control valve.

Old 01-13-2001, 03:06 PM

If its not the MAF its the fuel pump. Mine did exactly what your describing and it was the fuel pump, especiall the "jerk" at low rpms.

------------------
1986 Trans Am
305 TPI
"If it's not one thing, it's another!"
http://www2.hanover.edu/hierlmeier
Old 01-14-2001, 10:53 PM

I think I figured out the jerking part. I only seem to experince it around 40 mph and I was reading in the archives that that is where the TCC lockups and sometimes it will lock and unlock which causes the jerking. I will try the test light tomorow.

I have also tried several things with the maf. I tested the wires running between the maf and relays and they all seemed ok. Tapping the maf caused no changed but pushing the connector in (even though it was fully seated) the rpms change it sometimes it stalls. I cleaned the connections and after I put the maf back in and this seemed to fix the problem... for a while. The stalling problem came back after about 12 miles. So what I am thinking is that there is some kind of intermittent short in the maf itself and that handling it makes it start working sometimes. Tomorow I am probably going to order one of the wells units. Thanks for you guys so much for the help. I will keep you posted my progression (or regression:-)). Oh, why is that sometimes the engine stalls with no SES and sometimes SES is on but no engine stalling? I swere car computers are stranger than pc's:-) Later.~ Arnold