TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ram Jet

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2000, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Ram Jet

Has anyone used the Ram Jet intake yet? If so what can you tell me about it is it good or bad? I am probably going to get it just wanted some comments about what you have heard or personal experience.

1992 Z28
383ci engine
TH-350 trans
Holley 750cfm carb (for sale)
GM Perf Parts "Fast Burn" Heads
4" Cowl hood
Many other mods
Old 11-24-2000, 05:36 AM

Go to the Scoggin-Dickey board. There's a lot of RamJet info there.
Old 11-25-2000, 02:05 AM

I have looked into doing this swap on my GTA, since you already have the heads...its a "Bolt on". It uses an ls1 truck throttle body. I had thought about making an adapter to fit the TPI t/b to it. You will also need to rig up some sort of EGR, and fuel lines from the fuel rails to the car. I decided that for a couple hundred dollars more I could just get a miniram without all the Hassle.

I can't believe someone is not selling a kit to put a Ramjet on a tpi car. It would kick *** .

Good luck,
Aaron

------------------
1988 GTA
Medium Metallic Grey
5.7, Auto
Boltons and a 100 shot
13.0 @ 106 on the bottle
Old 11-25-2000, 11:30 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Aaron, I too am amazed that someone is not offerring a conversion kit for the RamJet setup to TPI. I suspect that such a kit will be available within the next year or so, so I am holding off for now.

But I agree, RamJet, Fastburn heads and LT4 Hot Cam would definitely make the L98 a different animal.
Old 11-25-2000, 04:09 PM

Does the mini ram bolt on to the fast burn heads? I know somebody who has afr's i think that has a miniram i think it bolted on to his. Just wandering if it would on the fast burns. Also does it have to be a truck ls1 tb or can it be a car ls1 tb too? I heard you have to do a lot of rigging on the truck tb but the car tb basically bolts right on. Talk to me...Later
Old 11-26-2000, 02:15 PM

I am looking into converting a TPI (a TBI would even work considering the RamJet350 is a batch fire injection) wiring harness and ECM for use with the Ram Jet setup for my own car, GM sells pieces of the intake system-not all of it yet though. The truck TB's will bolt up just fine, there are a few mods to bolt the truck TB to the LS1 car intake, such as TB cooler lines have to be bypassed. And the breather tube on the TB is slightly longer. Someone mentioned that the L31 TB would work, I have both the LS1 truck TB and the L31 TB and the L31 TB would be harder to use---as the Throttle cables would have to be mounted around the timing cover area
Ram Jet intake runs about $400
Fuel rails(from AS+M) have to be machined ~36-$50 for bar stock rails.
Ford SVO 24# injectors will work run about $230 new
LS1 Throttle Body runs ~400 new ~100 used
Then other misc stuff will be needed to mate the wiring harness together. The Ram Jet crate engine comes with a service manual with the engine wiring diagrams. I've looked at them already and I am going to scan pics. of the diagrams for myself. I may end up using the actual RamJet CPU and harness anyways though, depending on what makes more power (the RJ350 ECM is flashable) and it doesn't need an O2 sensor either.

PS the Fastburn heads use raised runner intake ports also(like the vortecs), regular intake manifolds will not bolt up perfectly, even though the bolt pattern is there and will line up.

------------------
...Joseph

67camaross.cz28.com
Old 11-26-2000, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by StreetLethal92Z:
Has anyone used the Ram Jet intake yet? If so what can you tell me about it is it good or bad? I am probably going to get it just wanted some comments about what you have heard or personal experience.

1992 Z28
383ci engine
TH-350 trans
Holley 750cfm carb (for sale)
GM Perf Parts "Fast Burn" Heads
4" Cowl hood
Many other mods
The only way I know of to actually get on right now is off of a boat application.
A friend of mine is running one of those set ups on his Chevelle.
The Problem is the MEFI. No one has a hac of it yet, other then Ar Speed and Expensive.
The chevelle is taking a few mechanical kludges to lean it down for a street. Off idle and low speed cruise are too rich, but at 3/4 throttle it's a bear.

Old 11-26-2000, 10:56 PM

the throttle bodies of the L31 and LS1 are similar
and will work on the ramjet intake.
differences are coolant lines on the LS1 versions
(most peeps delete this anyway?)
the ramjet throttle bracket bolts behind TB.
so you dont have to 'rig' wild bracketry..
all i lack is the fuel rail system and ill be
on the road..
airdeano
Old 11-26-2000, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by airdeano:
on the road..
airdeano
The L31 and LS1 are similiar casts and same size throttle bore, all I noticed was the throttle cables pull the bellcrank from different angles on each(I work on both engines everyday). I know they both bolt up to the RamJet intake. What throttle cable did you find that would work? Thats the only thing I haven't exactly found yet. And not sure which air intake and filter setup to use yet. On those TB heaters, most LS1 guys bypass the TB cause it dyno's 3-4 HP more without running hot coolant through it...remember the LS1 engines don't run any coolant through the Intake manifold either kinda like the LT1/LT4 design. I have a couple of LS1 truck TB's that I may sell soon, I'll only need one for now.

------------------
...Joseph

67camaross.cz28.com
Old 11-27-2000, 08:13 AM

The RamJet is available from chevy right now. I got mine (see pics) from pace Performance parts. Scoggin-Dickey sells them for $399.
I'm having the fuel rails fabbed up as I type this.
Street & Performance offers complete TPI-to-Ramjet harnesses and ECM's. They also offer complete RamJet packages. That's where I'm getting my stuff to complete the install.You can check them out at www.tunedport.com.
My FastBurn heads should be here sometime this week.
The L31 TB lists new from chevy for $216. I haven't decided which one I will use. Might go with the 8omm BBK unit, but it's $399.
Will be porting the intake as soon as I get it back from the fuel-rail shop.
Will post some more pics at that time.
Thanks for the good info on the TB's. Do the L31 and LS1 TB's flow the same? I assume they do. Does anybody except BBK make a higher flowing replacement TB?
Here are the pic addresses:
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/...3/20713374.jpg
http://images.honesty.com/imagedata/...4/20713495.jpg

Thanks for the info,
SC
Old 11-27-2000, 08:29 AM

tpis now has the miniram for fastburn heads, not sure if it's the same price...i can just imagine a miniram on a zz430 set up...

------------------
92RS,POLO GREEN
Old 11-27-2000, 12:42 PM

The L31 TB lists new from chevy for $216. I haven't decided which one I will use. Might go with the 8omm BBK unit, but it's $399.
The L31 has an air silencer riveted to the throttle plate that may restrict airflow, it seems like it can be easily removed by cutting the rivets though.

BTW I have an extra LS1 truck TB (75mm)that I can sell if you need one. It is a takeoff but I completly cleaned it and polished the blade and Throttle shaft. It also has the IAC and TPS. Let me know if you need one.

The one from GM should come with the IAC and TPS also, not sure about the BBK one, as most (LS1) ppl would be expected to use their old ones in the upgrade.

------------------
...Joseph

67camaross.cz28.com
Old 11-27-2000, 06:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: An Ol Buick
Engine: Vsick
Transmission: Janis Tranny Yank Converter
Originally posted by airdeano:
on the road..
airdeano
The ones on my friends Ran Jet are like 58s. Much larger then the TPI stuff

Old 11-29-2000, 12:36 AM

Check ebay from time to time or CamaroZ28.coms for sale board. I saw a Camaro LS1 TB go for 50bux on ebay last week.

As for the RamJet intake, I can't wait till someone makes a TPI to RamJet conversion kit. It'll be interesting to see exactly how much can be saved vs buying a Miniram.
Old 11-29-2000, 11:43 AM

We all know the Ram Jet is a lot cheaper then the miniram but performance wise is it worth the extra money for the miniram? My friend has one and it made his car seem twice as fast almost after he put his on. I dont know what the specs are on either one but what do you think is it worth the extra $$$ or should you save the $$$ and get the Ram Jet???