TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Drive with TPI and Who is running an L69 with TPI ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 7 3rd Gens so far !
Gear Drive with TPI and Who is running an L69 with TPI ?

Not that many care too much but I have a Ferrari 308 replica based on a Fiero. This is the 3rd one I've done. (Yes, I love my 3rd Gens and F-bodies in general a lot better....

I've got a pretty well built L-69 from a Monte SS. Now 310 cubic inches, I built this engine for a friend about 4 years ago and followed the Lunati 325HP 305 buildup that they did quite a number of years back.

With long tube headers, Lunati Cam, 58cc centerbolt heads w/ mild porting etc, we were able to dyno this little small block at 314HP which I thought was pretty darn good. Now that my friend went BBC in the Monte, I now have the 6,000 mile 310cid L-69 back in my garage and ready to go into the replica.

That brings me to my questions:

The engine bay is cramped so I'll be using 1965 Corvette 2.5" rams horns for the exhaust going to an 80 series flowmaster so I'll be cutting my HP down a bit on this engine. Since the replica weighs in at 2680lbs, 265-280HP is still a very fun ride in these cars.

To all those who have done the TPI swap. The replica is a 5-speed Getrag and I have the harness but no ECM. I know there are different ECMs' that I can choose but I'd like to know what you used - specifically year of ECM (TPI is from an 88).

Last, Many years ago we ran a TPI with a noisy gear drive and to play it safe we thought we would have to "fake out" the knock sensor but I can't remember if we jumped it out with a specific resistance or not. If I remember right, I don't think we had any knock sensor issues at all and I don't think we even addressed it. Any thoughts? Anyone running a Noisy gear drive on a TPI setup (with or without problems) ?

Any tips would be a big help.

I'm more that happy just running this thing with a carb but I think that a nice TPI setup would really be nice in this car. I'm not looking for an "insane" track car so I think the TPI intake will be just fine for me.

Last edited by TA4me; 03-21-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 jaguar xjs convertable
Engine: 89 L98 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 dana 44
Re: Gear Drive with TPI and Who is running an L69 with TPI ?

If the motor is out I would install a better timing chain. You have know way of telling (unless you scan or datalog) it when the computer is pulling timing out because of the geardrive. There might be even more power in it! I would use a 90-92 harness so you can run SD and not have to mess up your install with a maf. Cleaner and simpler but you'll need to have a prom burned for the cam. Just a hint on your exhaust....I've done a few exhaust's on fiero conversions and I found it way easier to cut off the collector flange on the header, buy some mandrel bends and reshape the header so you can have the exhaust (there ain't much to these exhausts!) flanges at a more managable position in the car. It will make it easier for you to fab up the rest of the exhaust. Here a pic of a set of shorties I modified for my TPI powered jag.....it gets the collector flange into a better location.
Attached Thumbnails Gear Drive with TPI and Who is running an L69 with TPI ?-000_0696.jpg  
Old 03-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 7 3rd Gens so far !

\
Thanks for the reply. Those look real close to the Sanderson CC-90's that I fabricated for my last swap.

I agree with you 100%. The flanges make it so much easier on those cars. I actually fabricated something similar to what you did but to free up a bit more space for the Flowmaster 80 series, I reduced the depth of the trunk to about 13" or so.

I then re-fabricated the underside of the trunk to hang the 80 series. I also used weatherpack connectors so I can now literally remove 4 connectors, my fuel line and linkage, my exhaust flanges and 4 bolts for the cradle and I can have the engine, rear suspension trans, and exhaust (except for the muffler) on the ground in about 40 minutes now.. SO much easier to do work on / tune up etc.

The thing is: I'm not even a big fan of a Fiero (V8 or otherwise) or it's platform for that matter. I just like the Ferrari Replicas. These are not really the cars you want to be doing high speed driving in. Too light. At just under 2700 lbs, it's kind of like a lawnmower with a SBC on it.

Way off topic for the post but I actually decided against the TPI. SInce I'm only shooting for the 275HP range, I'm now modifying a 350 TBI, harness and ECM. The TBI seems to be a bit better a little "lower down" in the RPM range and since I'm not putting this thing together for the track, I think might be a better option at this point.

I've run the noisy gear drives in some 305 TBI setups in the past without a problem and I'm just not that familiar with TPI so I thought I'd stick with what I know. In fact, If I hadn't clearanced the cam/gear-drive/timing cover I'd probably just go with a double roller and be done with it. (I'm just too lazy I guess).

Thanks for the input. From all I've gathered , I just figured I would avoid the "learning curve" of messing with the TPI on this one. Tons of info on the board which is a HUGE Help.

Ps. I see the Jag in the sig. I have a 90 XJ-S with a modded 5.3 V-12 still in it. I was into the British cars for awhile and this "odd beast" is one of the only Jags I've run across that runs really well (and cool). I've done quite a few fuel, Electrical and cooling mods. My last 87 was a SBC with carb (not a swap that I want to do again.)

Last edited by TA4me; 03-24-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 jaguar xjs convertable
Engine: 89 L98 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 dana 44

Quote....Ps. I see the Jag in the sig. I have a 90 XJ-S with a modded 5.3 V-12 still in it. I was into the British cars for awhile and this "odd beast" is one of the only Jags I've run across that runs really well (and cool). I've done quite a few fuel, Electrical and cooling mods. My last 87 was a SBC with carb (not a swap that I want to do again.)

Ain't that the truth....very happy with my conversion....car makes more power than the twelve and does it on less fuel. Sounds like your well on your way with your latest project. Your right, I never could figure out why anyone would want to turn they're fiero into a Ferrari. I just fab'd up a flowmaster system for a legit 89 testarossa. Sounded quite good. I was a little nervous because I've hung flowmasters on everything from stock to 1200 HP "street" (??) cars but I've never installed one on a v12 Ferrari. Good luck with the project.
Attached Thumbnails Gear Drive with TPI and Who is running an L69 with TPI ?-000_0095.jpg   Gear Drive with TPI and Who is running an L69 with TPI ?-000_0096.jpg