TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF: Driving with No Throttle Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 manual
Axle/Gears: down under axle
MAF: Driving with No Throttle Position Sensor

A coolant hose burst and sprayed coolant all over the engine compartment. A few days later my TPS died, creating a code 21 (high TPS voltage). Apparently there was a short circuit in the TPS-coolant/water must have seeped into the TPS and killed it. The TPS was reporting WOT all the time (+4.5V constant).

To limp home in order to do the repair, I decided to just unplug the TPS and let the MAF sensor do all the work of reporting. I figured that no TPS would be better than a TPS reporting WOT all the time. I figured without the TPS, there would be a lot of hesitation and it would run crappy, but I would get home. Wrong!

The car ran great, no hesitation, plenty of power. I did have a high idle, 1100-1200rpm, but other than that, it was hard to tell there was a problem during the 40 mile drive. I was shocked.

I had heard that the MAF system was forgiving, they were right!

Drying the unit out did not fix it, so the TPS was replaced and all is well.

Last edited by yoxman13; 10-06-2006 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-2006, 11:13 AM

Yup. A club member kinda freaked when I disconnected my faulty TPS (it was causing the car to try to stall every time I touched the gas) and proceeded to drive it away. Usually at first its a little sluggish, but that soon goes away.

I wonder what a SD car would do without it? Maybe same?