TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Port runners or not? [2.77 gears mind you]

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 346 LS6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Hybrid 8.8 3.73
Port runners or not? [2.77 gears mind you]

Hello

I am planning on getting an edelbrock base and some aftermarket runners and i am not sure what is worth porting in my particular case.

I dont want to touch the base because i have heard of horror stories and all kinds of issues with porting them.
However i was planning on porting/smoothing out the plenum.

Here is my question. Should i port the runners when the time comes or not. Keep in mind that i have 2.77 gears and they take full advantage of the low end power. As far as i have learned porting the runners turns torque into horsepower [low end into high end] so i am unsure.

I am not about to change my ratio and was under the impression that the more high end power you have that the higher the ratio should be.

So Do i keep my low end power without porting the base and runners.. or do i port the top end [plenum and runners] and leave the base alone to flow more air and maintain some of my grunt [low end power]. Keeping in mind that i want the best setup that works together with my low ratio.

I have done alot of reading up on this and couldnt find a clear answer.
So, i would be most grateful if someone who really knows there stuff could point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Speed
Old 08-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
get a higher stall torque converter and you'll love that improvement. really helps those 2.77s

2.77s are not a bad gear but 3.27's to 3.42's are great for TPI.

but if you go TPIS or AS&M big tube runners, you wont have anything to port out. they are as big as you can get them.

if you go SLP runners, then its best to port those out alot. it will take awhile tho to get all the way in there. but its worth it. slp's arent very big to start with but open up nicely.

as far as lowend, your not gonna lose that much, if anything at all. you'll most likely gain more power everywhere with base runner combo and proper fuel to take advantage of excess air flow.

the base i would port out and match to the runner bores. the runners are bigger than the base ports. you have a LOT of rooom to port out on aftermarket bases. i havent heard of any horror stories with ported bases...except when you siamese them alot. uneven fuel mixture i heard.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 346 LS6
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Hybrid 8.8 3.73
Yes... i meant horror stories when siamesing the bases.

As for the stall right now i have the factory stall and iroc servo, but my uncle is going to give me his 700R4 with a 2800 stall and the vette servo. Thats good to hear that it will benefit.

So basically what your saying is to port match the plenum and base to the runners. but not to siamese

thanks so much

Speed