TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI VS LS1

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
Originally Posted by anesthes
LS1's are neat but they're still not in my price range. If they were, I woulda got a C5.. Sure once and a while I see a "deal" on a stock LS1 + T56 combo, and I'd think to myself "Whats another 6k gonna hurt". but then I look online at all the LS1 parts. heads, intakes, cam, headers, engine swap motor mounts, and all that.. nah.

If LS1's and LS1 parts were as cheap as SBC parts, i'd prolly jump at it. But even silly things like ECM's and sensors are still crazy big money.. dollar for hp it just doesn't make sense. Not to say your LS1 swap isn't cool stuff. We're glad your happy with it. Well at least I am, I can't vouch for some of the other idiots on here

-- Joe

i think you're missing my point.

for 4k you can have a 320rwhp 6spd drivetrain... thats less then most could build a equiv SBC to do.
then sure, the roller cam costs $300, its $100 for the pushrods, and $100 for the springs.... buut, you now have a 400rwhp car. more if you get headers.. less if you get a smaller cam.

so yes, you spent $400 instead of $100 for a flat tappet SBC cam kit... but you gained 80 RWHP! depending on who you listen to for correction, thats 90-100flywheel hp. and the car is no harder to drive!

note, im talking REAR WHEEL hp... in the first line im basiclly saying a "400hp" motor in the SBC world... and it gets mid 20mpg. low 30s on the hwy.

the point is to NOT impress you with how great it is... its to point out the big picture... yes it costs money, but it costs LESS then the equiv SBC to do just as much..

so if your goal is only 280 at the rear wheel.. sure you can go cheaper. thats what most of the budget guys on here are talking about when they say they can build a "300hp motor to match that LS1 for less"....
what they leave out is you spend less with the LS1 when you want to go fast.. hell im looking at 6s this year (thats 10s for you 1/4 mile people..) and this is my DAILY DRIVER convertible.
yes, that POS fast intake costs some hidious amoutn of coin... who cares? that LS6 intake that came stock on my motor flows more then your TPI, superram, stealthram, or any other long runner intake, including the TPIS ones.
yea the ETP/AFR/Dart heads cost big coin... but i can get a set of BRAND NEW LS6 heads ported to flow more then any of your std 23* SBC head options, for $600... thats right, a pair of new, 300+cfm heads for 600 ducks.

yes, my valvecover gasket costs $30 a pair... but guess what? you NEVER have to replace them. ever. unless you do something really stupid... they're a giant O-ring. hell. 90% of the gaskets are reusable..

there is no "huge hidden cost".. trust me.. i work with these motors all the time now, most of my friends have them. im going faster, and spending less then the SBC stuff...
Old 08-13-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 jaguar xjs convertable
Engine: 89 L98 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 dana 44
Personally I think your TPI set-up will be your downfall VS. an LS1. You'll stay with it (or better) at the start but the LS will walk away top end, for fun. You will have to invest alot of money to get your TPI fed motor to run with an LS on the big end. My self, ( in my case my L98 is in a jaguar, and I'm very happy with it) if I were to convert it again I wouldn't hesitate for a second. It would be an LSX based drivetrain in the car. My $0.02. Props to me for the lack of cap locks and for proper punctuation and spelling!