TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Timing Signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1970 El Camino
Engine: ZZ4 TPI Powercoated Black, SLP Runn
Transmission: LS1 T56, Moser 9" 3.25 Posi
ECM Timing Signals

I'm fighting a very nasty no-spark situation with my Accel Gen6 system. I imagine the ECM is very similar to the GM version and I suspect that the ECM is the reason I have no spark. That said, does the ECM actually provide what's needed to the ignition module for spark to occur? Another way to ask is: will I ever get spark with the 4-pin connector disconnected (small cap, remote coil HEI)?

I'm also looking for a way to check the ECM since Accel couldn't/wouldn't help me. In that 4-pin connector, can I check for a voltage or proper resistance at key on/key off/start? I am getting an RPM signal to the ECM and the injectors are firing, but again, no spark. The coil is brand new, the distributor is brand new (and the module, pickup, cap and rotor). The coil wire checks out and the coil has 12V at start and key on. I think I may really need a noid light, but I really do suspect the ECM.

Losing my mind,
Ryan
Old 02-28-2006, 07:33 AM

Received 220 Likes on 206 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
The small cap HEI will fire the plugs w/o ECM control. With the 2 wire connector connected, and the 4 wire connector dis-connected, the coil should fire. This is the basic configuration while cranking on a stock setup.

The 2 wire connector provides power to the module along with the signal back to the coil (enable dwell and fire).

Not sure what you did to get an RPM signal to the ECM, but that may have something to do with no spark.

Also, the distributor housing needs to be grounded to the engine block. Powder coating or paint may interfere with this. The grounding normally takes place with the contact between the hold down clamp and the distributor body.

RBob.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the help. I'll poke around some more this afternoon and will probably try switching out the module if I can't find anything else. Hopefully I'm still missing something obvious - like the module not getting 12 volts or something like that.

As far as the ECM getting an RPM signal, I've had the 4-pin connector plugged in the whole time, I was only asking if it would work without it so I could eliminate the ECM as a suspect.

Thanks again,
Ryan
Old 03-01-2006, 07:34 PM

As a follow up....

All of the grounds checked out and I couldn't find anything else wrong, so I swapped the module out and of course, it fired right up. Unbelieveable - I think I'll go have the "new" module checked out and maybe have a good long chat with the Checker manager.

Ryan
Old 03-05-2006, 06:30 PM

Glad to see that you got it running. Good luck with Checker.