TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine parts... correct match?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA Notchback
Engine: Edelbrock'd 5.7L TPI
Transmission: Stage 2 Trans go 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt BW
Engine parts... correct match?

Heres the setup for my engine, and wondering if I have this matched properly.
I have looked up the parts through search but I really don't understand the numbers behind everything. I was just going off what the parts guy at the performance store was suggesting to me.

Engine is an 88 L98 thats just been cleaned up a little bit
Crane Cams replacement roller lifters
Crane Cams Powermax 2032 cam
Comp Cams aluminum center bolt 1.6 rockers
Edelbrock 60859 aluminum heads
Holley AFPR
Accel 24# injectors
Edelbrock Hi flo TPI intake and runners
1 3/4" SLP headers with Y pipe with 3" Flomaster cat to 3" intermediate pipe to stock muffler
SLP cold air kit with K&N
TPiS TB Airfoil

I dont think i've missed anything that should have an effect on hp/tq.

Are the heads matched for the cam, or do I have room for more cam? Is the intake enough for what the rest of the system can fire out. And finally is there going to be enough fuel to feed the engine with the increased airflow?

If anyone knows how to figure out how to tell if these parts are properly matched, or what to look for when matching parts, that would be great.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2006, 08:53 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
The runner volumes are pretty close to stock heads. The valves are larger, and heads are already prepped for higher lifts. The Comp-U-Cam should be fairly mild but allow for a little better breathing. Altogether, the package should work, and be about the same or a little better than stock.

The one thing I didn't see in your list is programming. That could be an important item with the different cam profile, and especially with the different injectors.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 GTA Notchback
Engine: Edelbrock'd 5.7L TPI
Transmission: Stage 2 Trans go 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9 Bolt BW
Yes, the computer tune is definately a must have in order to make it run properly. Last time it fired before the snow came here it was running lean through the entire RPM band. It may have to do with my lack of fuel pressure (48psi at idle 35psi at WOT even with the AFPR cranked and also tried with the vacuum hose plugged and disconnected same thing.)

Would the setup benefit from a larger cam such as the Xtreme Energy XE269HR from comp cams? Or would I be able to bump this up just by fixing the fuel delivery problems + computer tune?

I did have the setup dyno'd once and it came in at 218rwhp at ~3500rpm and 280 ft/lb at ~4100rpm. I think the distributor slipped and went retarded by -2 to -4 degrees after the dyno runs since the headers were glowing cherry red and i had to reset the timing about a week later. You are supposed to have a fan going in front of the car to cool it and provide cold fresh air right? The guys doing the dyno for me never turned on the fan for the front of the engine and I never thought to ask really...

I would like to get more out of the engine but i've got a few other things that need replacing such as the fuel pump and fuel filter to name a few that may solve some of my issues.

So what is needed to boost more power? more airflow and fuel? or bigger bore size? I still don't understand how the cfm flow rates work for each component as soon as it hits the intake plenum and runners.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: projects.......
I'd think you could do better for less $. For starters, the Edelbrock heads can be beat pretty easily, even at/around the same money. Also, unless you've got a ton of miles on the stock roller lifters, there's nothing wrong with them. As Vader said, probably about the same as stock, and why would you spend near that to be same/slightly better than stock?

A motor is an air pump. The more air/fuel you can feed it and make it burn, the more power you have....
Old 02-11-2006, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
If your going over .500 in lift stock lifters arent the best choice Ive heard.