TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

big news on BBK tpi intake!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1997 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I agree with red devil. BBK has been very shady about the whole thing. Whenever someone talks to someone there, they think they have the answer we have all been waiting for, no offense to you curtis.

I will believe it when i see it.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350, ZZ4 equivalent
Transmission: Pro-Built Road Race 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Dana 44
Way to be optimistic

I am looking forward to a new intake option even if it does take them forever to comeout with it.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:01 AM

Car: 90 RS
Engine: 5.0 TBI
Transmission: Slushbox
Axle/Gears: 3.23
somehow i think you have taken offense with my previous post it was not intended to do that.
i have been doing 3rd gens since 89 and yes i would like to see a new design however most of the posts i read referr to the use of vortec heads and the lack of options as far as intakes,i was just shedding light on a dark but popular complaint.
and as far as the statement"the superram is a PITA" just how many times do you have to deal with the removal/install hell my superram was on my old car for 2 yrs running low 12s before it had to come off for a motor swap........
Old 11-09-2005, 02:27 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 375 Likes on 303 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
the first time install is hard enough from what i seen/heard. take ur time and it goes aight but so much to watch out for to make it easier

keepin leaks from happening is tough too. i wouldnt think u'd have to take off the superram much but some guys pull the intake off every once in awhile to change out stuff. i was thinking of going superram on my stock L98 to see where it gets me, then one day add heads/cam/motor. so i'd have to take it off a few times and re install it.. could be abit of a pain.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Moderator/TGO Supporter

Car: 1997 Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I believe it has been over a year since this intake was supposed to be released!

They did not update anything online or even act like they knew what we were talking about when people did call to ask about it.

Not trying to be a downer, but for everyone holding their breathe, please sign your car over to me before you start
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 AM

Car: Black 89 Camaro RS w/t-tops
Engine: 2.8L (173ci) v6
Transmission: 700r4
All I have to say is that v8 people are spoiled...I own a v6 and waited forever to see if we could get PaceSetter headers for our cars and alot of people thought it wouldnt happen because there "wasn't a big enough market", I know that there weren't a series of other competitors, but there were so many people that thought the gains for a v6 were negligible and the thought of headers was useless (except for those few who had highly modded v6 engines) However, once they went into production and were offered commercially they were backordered for months.

That being said, one day I hope to get a 350 TPI camaro and be able to work on it, and if someone else can come out with a design that is easier to work with, puts out a little more than the competition, allows for the use of stock emissions equipment and fuel rails, and is priced competitively that would be awesome.

If the intake lives up to what it should be then other companies may be forced to lower prices or rethink their options packages. Hell, even if I dont buy the BBK intake if and when it comes out, I may buy someone elses if the price/package is worth it.

Plus you also have to remember that these guys are trying to get something to us that could be to our benefit and they may also acess this website from time to time, so try to be supportive.

As for 1992rs/ss, good for you for trying to help. Ked85, i believe it was, "higher-power" rest his soul, spent much of his time trying to hype us v6 guys up about getting Pacesetter to give us something we wanted. People were critical of that as well, but eventually criticisms turned constructive and we ended up with a product.

It's ok to be critical, but try to be helpful, if 1992rs/ss' efforts lead nowhere, then that is his time lost.

I think a sticky shoud be made listing all the different ideas people have for this design so that the BBK people could just refer back to the post for updates as opposed to receiving a bulk of emails every now and again.

my .02 +.02+.02, etc..etc..

Last edited by dcm01003; 11-09-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:55 AM

Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
Heres my easy break down list:

1) Curtis, u know alot of us, we arent busting u out, just calling BS on BBK for stringing along with no proof. This would not be the first time we were promised great things as far as intakes are concerned.

2) Post hijacking and bashing without any real merit or added content is a waste of space. U all know who you are.

3) I think it would instill a lot more faith in everyone if we were to see this new "intake base" if only for proof that they are indeed paying more than lip service to the injected small block market.

4) If they said they are talking about making it a variable runner length setup, I will bet they are blowing smoke up somones rear. Think about it. Your going to control it with what? Let alone engine management on stock type ecms, while possible, would lead to lots of difficulties and only true tuning would get proper results considering the effect two true runner lengths would have on it.

5) Instead of bashing it, we all want to see proof, plain and simple. I would love to see an intake using o-rings or the like to assemble and that goes together more simply than the TPI or Superram setups. Modular, being somewhere down the road if u want more rpm or the lke u could swap shorter runners in and rework your cal and maybe slide in a new cam and have some fun.

6) I would even not care about using stock fuel rails as long as the price was decent of it got me a more modular and more simple to install intake.

7) If they have a "base" done, than they would have to have an idea on what they were doing for the plenum and the runner design, last time i checked, that would influence it to a large degree

8) I would like to see members here not hijack a post and keep it on the subject. Being critical is wonderful and all but it doesnt accomplish a thing unless it is constructive. Maybe BBK will see this or if Curtis has his email, he can send him the link, and they might even contribute to the post and maybe even listen to us.

9) I love people who want powerband, max rpm, and hp increases over a TPI setup for an intake that doesnt exist yet and we dont even know runner length, diameter or plenum configuration. U make me laugh

later
Jeremy
Old 11-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350, ZZ4 equivalent
Transmission: Pro-Built Road Race 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Dana 44
Originally posted by 3.8TransAM
4) If they said they are talking about making it a variable runner length setup, I will bet they are blowing smoke up somones rear. Think about it. Your going to control it with what? Let alone engine management on stock type ecms, while possible, would lead to lots of difficulties and only true tuning would get proper results considering the effect two true runner lengths would have on it.
No you misread it. They mean variable length as you can swap out the runner length with different length runner tubes. Not dynamically variable on the fly.

9) I love people who want powerband, max rpm, and hp increases over a TPI setup for an intake that doesnt exist yet and we dont even know runner length, diameter or plenum configuration. U make me laugh
The intake isn't designed yet so now is a perfect time to say what powerband and RPM range we want them to design the intake for. Makes perfect sense to me, I don't know why you think it's so silly?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:52 PM

Car: 91 GTA, 91 Formula, 89 TTA
Engine: all 225+ RWHP
Transmission: all OD
Axle/Gears: Always the good ones
4) Variable length and modular are two different meanings, variable intake is just that , like Jag v-6's or SHO's or ZR1's.
On the fly would be a variable system, which I'm sure anyone else in the automotive field would agee with

Modular(configurable to intended use) would be a better word for being able to get or experiemtn with several different runner lengths. U physically have to swap them out and then tune the car accordingly.

9) Wasnt directed at u and u misread it. I could care less about quoting, but people have directly asked in this post what hp,rpm,etc will I gain from this intake. My point being , nothing, it doesnt exist yet

U were actually participating in the post not hijacking it, it wasnt directed towards you.

I want to see something hopefully happen with this intake and maybe even get a modular type FI manifold for small blocks. Could be the start of something new

later
Jeremy