TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPI/Stealthram Swap, TONS of questions.. HAVE SEARCHED

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
TPI/Stealthram Swap, TONS of questions.. HAVE SEARCHED

All I am about to post is information I gatherd from this site or stealthram.com.

To start I will let you guys know I have an 88 Iroc with a TPI 350 that is bone stock. My first mod is going to be headers and a cat back. No cats though.

Within the next few weeks I plan on buying a stealth ram. To save some cash I am going to go with a satin finish and later down the road have my buddy do some custom coatings.

Now I read somewhere that the intake is matched for 1205??? gaskets? If this is true are there any heads out there that use a 1205 gasket? I heard the Dart Pro 1's are a pretty good match for the SR. How much truth is behind that? I am basically going to be looking for a set of heads that I can get maximum performance out of with as little machining possible. Pretty soon I will sell my cadillac and have the cash for the heads and a few other things.

Maf vs. Map. It's beat to death and I read TONS of post about it. I think I am going to convert to MAP even though people say I do not have to. What are the exact parts I will need for the conversion aside from the ECM? I am doing it because it seems as if it will be eisier to tune, and SEEMS like more people with high performance combo's are running SD set ups so I can have them help me trouble shoot. This leads to my next question...

I have also been reading a ton about prom burning. I have been reading up on how to do it, and the stuff needed. I looked on the moates site and seen all the great stuff they have to offer, and I also keep hearing people talking about "making" cables. From searching I gatherd that the cable making is for datalogging??? Am I correct here or did I get lost? What are the exact parts I will need to burn and program chips aside from the software? What will i need for data logging? I know I want a wideband o2 sensor, but how does that wire into the datalogging, and can I use the wideband on the ECM at the same time or do I need to weld up another bung?

Now obviosly if I am doing heads and intake I am going to do a cam at the same time. Now I know the cam has to be based off of the heads and intake, and then once i get the cam down I can pick out a converter and gear. For a converter I kinda don't want to go above 3600-3800. I do plan on spraying a 150 shot. I know my 9 bolt and my 700r4 are short for this world come spring time, so I will fix them as I break them. What cam would compliment a stealthram really well? Or perhaps compliment XXXXrecomended heads, and a stealth ram. Last note, I am not terribly worried about driveability. I am pretty sure I can make a race car within my tolerance level with a good tune.

I have also been reading lots of debates on Throtle Body's. With all my planned mods do you think the stocker will be fine or should I upgrade to a 58mm? I can't beleive it is useless to upgrade the stocker on a stock motor. I went to a 90mm FAST system on a bone stock LS1 car and it picked up some decent pwoer for just and intake/tb swap. What do you guys think?

Eventually I will have a 383 bottom end in there but for now I am going to go on the stocker and see how well she holds up. Leakdown is within 5% and the compression is great.

also, I can find comparisons between stealthrams and modified TPI intakes but do any of you have before and after feedback on bone stock cars with jsut a stealth ram?
Old 08-27-2005, 12:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A
Engine: HSR 355
Axle/Gears: 2.77 posi
Thats a ton to cover, but I've recently converted to SD and I just bought a 350 with a stealth ram so maybe I can help if needed.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:55 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: 383 w/Holley Stealth Ram
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
you can look on http://www.stealthram.com for more info on flows, dyno runs and some other stuff. you can look at my setup if you need to know what to buy for a 383. i bought the complete kit not just the intake and base. the C950 is easy computer system to tune on just read the book that comes with it. for stock computer programming your going to need a computer with a serial port. laptop for datalogging unless you want to lug a desktop to the car everyhtime. a programmer, chips from what i've heard Eproms are the way to go more expensive but have advantages. If you go on the DFI and ECM forum you can find your answers there on porgramming. I'm currently running 1206 heads on the stealthram with out changing the intake had to runn a 1244 gasket to get both to seal though. can't help you heads sorry. hope this helps any more questions feel free to ask
Old 08-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Z69
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maf to sd swap

For the tuning- you need to look around on DIY Prom some more. There is a whole sticky dedicated to beginners! It covers hardware too.

Heads- the manufactureres site will say what gasket is used.
For 383, you'll want a 200cc min. Dart 215's or similar are a good choice. For a 350, you'll want a 195cc head.
AFR, Canfield, etc....

Since your going 383, buy a 58mm when budget permits.
The stocker will last you till then.

Cable-They are refering to datalogging.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Now I read somewhere that the intake is matched for 1205??? gaskets? ----Yes it is.

If this is true are there any heads out there that use a 1205 gasket?----Yes, all most all heads are matched to a 1205 gasket.

I heard the Dart Pro 1's are a pretty good match for the SR.
----So are the afr195's and trick Flow's.

Maf vs. Map. It's beat to death and I read TONS of post about it. I think I am going to convert to MAP even though people say I do not have to. What are the exact parts I will need for the conversion aside from the ECM?
----Go to the tch boards and read the TBI to TPI swap. They gave all of the parts and numbers for a MAP based TPI system. Also look at the MAF to MAP articles.

I have also been reading a ton about prom burning. I have been reading up on how to do it, and the stuff needed. I looked on the moates site and seen all the great stuff they have to offer,
---Yes moates is a great place. Look into other ecm's to: Holley commander and msefi are goos inexpensive candidates.

Now obviosly if I am doing heads and intake I am going to do a cam at the same time. Now I know the cam has to be based off of the heads and intake,
----Get a cam with an intake duration of 220-230 and exhaust of 230-340 for a 350. That is what most daily driven to second driver cars get.

I have also been reading lots of debates on Throtle Body's. With all my planned mods do you think the stocker will be fine or should I upgrade to a 58mm? -----If you are getting a 383 get a larger throttle body.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:03 PM

Car: 1988 Iroc-Z
Engine: L98
Thanks for the tips guys!

Like I said, I have searched and read the sticky's. I am sure with all the research I have been doing some stuff is going in one ear and out of the other. In the sticky's I noticed there was a lot of personal preferance to burners and software etc etc. I am looking for the most generally used stuff so when it is time to trouble shoot I can come back here and have you guys help me out

As for the cam, I can care less about driveability, I jsut want power The car will see roughly 30 miles a week next year once I get it all done.

Any more input from anyone is greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton so far guys!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
whats up man. I can answer all you questions you have since I just went through all this with my car.If you want maybe we can meet up or something since I live right down the road from you.