TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wells MAF (SU-145) apparently no more

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Which one?
Engine: 355
Transmission: 465
Wells MAF (SU-145) apparently no more

Information is only as good as the messenger, but just spoke with a representative from Micro-Tech regarding a claim made in another post that the micro-tech unit he bought looked identical to the Wells unit that he also had.

I tried to find a Wells unit a few months back, and was told I couldn't get one. Carquest listed them, but I kept getting the runaround.

So I called Micro-Tech and asked if they were the suppliers for the Wells SU-145. He said that actually, wells copied their MAF (Micro-Tech has the patent link on their site) and Micro-Tech sued and won, so Wells no longer sells the SU-145.

In any case, this would be a worthless post if I didn't have some actual part numbers, so the Micro-Tech part number is 49-1018 (I asked for 1988 305 Camaro). You can buy it from them with a credit card for $219.84, or you can buy it at Advance Auto Parts (I think that includes Schucks and Kragen as well) for $230.99 according to their online catalog.

I guess it remains to be seen if this piece is as good, better, or worse than the Wells "copy", but I hope that saves people the hassle I went through trying to find the Wells piece.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 369 TPI
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.70 Nine Bolt
Thanks for the information. I have not had a problem with my GM MAF but would be interested in a replacement if it flowed more CFM. I did not see anything about a CFM increase on their web site. I would buy one in a heartbeat if it flowed say 900CFM. Do you have a phone number? I did not see a contact on their website. Allen

Last edited by 1989GTATransAm; 04-12-2005 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:37 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
I still find the su-145 listed in a few places, so I'm unsure of that. And the patent is not in Microtech's name nor have they been listed as the assignee so they certainly were not the ones to file suit. That being said, I can not find any reference to a suit being filed against Wells by Microtech, nor Mr. Doll. Maybe I'll call up Wells when I get back from my trip.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:21 PM

Their number is (800) 688-1588. You just have to back up to their home page to find it.

I found the SU-145 listed too when I needed it, but kept getting things like "you need to come in to order it, we can't get it until you do" and "we see it in the catalog, but it won't let us order it" and I just gave up.

The patent pictures don't work for me, from what I skimmed, it sounded like this would be a "wireless" MAF, which is what the Wells unit was. Used some sort of chip instead of the wire.

I too decided to do a little snooping about lawsuit and so on, and couldn't find anything about one between micro-tech and wells. It's probably not a coincidence that both MT and Mr. Doll are apparently out of Louisville Kentucky. With the way business is anymore, I wouldn't be surprised that whoever (if it went to trial or was just settled) MT or Mr. Doll went after is not Wells, but their parent company.

Be interesting to hear it from Wells. Then again, like anyone else you talk to, can you REALLY believe what the person on the other end of the phone is telling you, and how much do they really know? (in this case either with MT or Wells)
Old 04-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
It's called a 'thick-film' MAF. Neither company are exclusively using it. As Mr. Doll's filing was patented 10 years ago he has a whopping 4 years left. I doubt very much they are one and the same or that the suit happened recently, if at all.

I don't believe anyone, I check the records of suits filed. You can do that with West Law, Lexis Nexus or any good law library.

Mr. Doll's whereabouts matter little, Microtech is not a listed assignee on the patent (companies CAN NOT FILE a patent application) if they brought any action in court it would get tossed by any competent attorney. If you would like to see a filing done properly, look up Flowmaster's. Theirs are very well set-up and properly assigned.

As for Wells, IIRC the guy I spoke to was one of their engineers, who, if memory serves, actually worked on the SU-145.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1987 Black IROC-Z (SOLD)
Just to bring everyone up to date on the WELLS Maf SU-145.
I e-mailed Wells MFG CORP sales and received a reply from Tiffany Marose .

"Yes, the WELLS Mass Air Flow sensor SU-145 IS currentty availiable in our product line. This item can be obtained on a special order basis from your local Carquest Auto Parts store or by by contacting:
Neil at World Discounts in Buffalo, NY @800=288-288-6728.

Thank you for thinking of Wells as a source for your Automotive needs!
TM
Wells Mfg Corp"

So some of the above Posts about the demise of the Wells Maf were

It is avaiable if you want one, I ordered mine a few years back from World Discounts and at the time it was $156 total shipping included. But as prices go up, I would call for a current price.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 AM

It would be nice for the next person that actually gets a Wells *in hand* to post up and say so. Not being told you can get one, actually GETTING one.

I got the distinct impression when I tried to get one (from a carquest distribution center no less) that for whatever reason, they weren't around. Could have been in short supply at that time, who knows.

All I know is, I wanted one, I had the part number, I spent three days trying, and I couldn't get one.

If anyones got one in the last few months I'd like to hear about it. I don't recall anyone actually having posted they have recently. Found posts saying others can't get it, but nothing showing someone actually purchased one. My timing of needing one is about the same time others said they couldn't get one, so maybe it was just a coincidence.

Maybe the demise of the SU-145 was , but the difficulty in getting one most certainly is not.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Try the number for World Discounts. It worked for me in the past. Also that e-mail from WELLS was received on 4/13/05. So that info is current.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:51 PM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
Ms. Marose is the customer service/marketing rep. I got the same message from there about two months ago.

I've spoken with the application engineer that worke on the Wells thick film MAF. It is a thick film sensor, as Red Devil indicated. That is the same technology that Hitachi uses in their MAFs, and Delphi and AC/Delco - Rochester were using in the LT1 MAF sensors. I wonder why those larger companies with deeper pockets (and larger legal staffs) were not named in the supposed suit. Funny how the LT1 MAF has been in use for almost ten years, but didn't violate any patents.

I'm also a bit surprised that the geniuses at MicroTec presumably have such a grasp of the world of MAF sensors, yet don't realize that GM did NOT design the first MAFs on their vehicles, but that they were purchased from Bosch for several years. I'd hate to think how confused they would be if they knew about Denso and their involvement in later PCMs and BCMs. They might get a headache, and have to hire another lawyer or two.

Sorry, I have little patience for blatant B.S.

BTW - I believe the Wells part number may have changed.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:46 AM
Supreme Member

I received no info from WELLS about a part number change (SU-145) and that E-Mail was dated 4/12/05.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Banned

So, are we boned when it comes to an economical MAF replacement?
Old 11-02-2005, 07:45 PM

You read this thread?

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ight=wells+maf
Old 11-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: '87 FIREGOOSE!!!!
I read this thread and the links in it. I have a few questions.
-What is the advantage of a "film" or Well's type MAF sensor versus a "stock" Bosch type?
-I have an '87 TA, 350. If my MAF ever dies, which is the best route to go now? I have heard many bad things about the re-manned Bosch MAF. Some Corvette guys tried them, said they were junk. After spending $$$ for these because GM wanted WAY more $$$ for replacement at the counter (Canadian prices), they are currently running without MAF's. SO... what's the BEST, somewhat cost reasonable way to go? (And reliable)

Thanks for the help and info.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:37 PM
doc
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROCZ
Engine: 395 ZZ4
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.70s
Supposively, the Wells MAF (having a flat plate inside) had the advantage of flowing more air vs the GM stock MAF with screens.
Also, the Wells MAF may have been more durable. The GM Bosch MAF has fine wires inside to estimate the air flow rate. These tiny wires are easily damaged, or worse, cut.

Buying a re-maned MAF is a potential problem. But I have bought one and its fine. I have been using it for several years now. Just make sure you keep your receipt and know the guarantee.

BTW: a de-screened GM MAF will flow about 658 CFM, which is good for about 506 Hp at the flywheel. A stock GM MAF (with screens) flows about 518 CFM. I have never seen flow numbers for the Wells MAF, which is a mute point now if the Wells MAF is out of production.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:21 PM

Car: 89RS,89TBI FB, 91Z28, 89TPI FORMULA
Engine: 357 SBC TPI
Transmission: World Class T-5 (for now)
Axle/Gears: Strange 12-bolt 3.73
They aren't out of production as I ordered one 2 weeks ago from WDAutoParts.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:46 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by doc
Supposively, the Wells MAF (having a flat plate inside) had the advantage of flowing more air vs the GM stock MAF with screens.
Also, the Wells MAF may have been more durable. The GM Bosch MAF has fine wires inside to estimate the air flow rate. These tiny wires are easily damaged, or worse, cut.

Buying a re-maned MAF is a potential problem. But I have bought one and its fine. I have been using it for several years now. Just make sure you keep your receipt and know the guarantee.

BTW: a de-screened GM MAF will flow about 658 CFM, which is good for about 506 Hp at the flywheel. A stock GM MAF (with screens) flows about 518 CFM. I have never seen flow numbers for the Wells MAF, which is a mute point now if the Wells MAF is out of production.
Wells Maf flow number was stated at 750 CFM