TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats This Thingy On The Fuel Pump???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 73' Nova~~~TPI Powered
Engine: 283 Cubic Inch Rev MUNSTER!!
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: GM10 bolt w/4.56 posi
Whats This Thingy On The Fuel Pump???

Ok guys, I have a chevy Nova (i know its not the place to be looking for info) and I have an 86' T/A TPI setup going into it. I installed a fuel pump into my original tank. When I was looking at the pump, it has some sort of diaphram of some sort right on the pump. Then it goes onto the actual fuel line. I assume this is a place to hold pressure? Or it might be a place to keep the vibration down on the fuel lines? Dunno.....thats why i'm asking. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME!!!

Joe
Old 02-09-2005, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
It is mainly there to lower the noise.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:57 PM

Car: 1988 Formula
Engine: 355
Transmission: 6 speed
What exactly are you asking about. Theres the foam around the pump itself, theres the straner on the end of the pump, then where the pump goes into the lines there a little plastic connector thing. Most aftermarket pumps get rid of the plastic connector thing and just put in a special peice of hose.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:13 PM
Kat
Supreme Member

Car: Camaro Vert
Engine: 355 HSR
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 S60
Originally posted by jonarotz
It is mainly there to lower the noise.
Thats exactly it.

When I do fuel pumps in cars, if they bottle neck down there to 1/4 I'll cut that peice off so I have a full 5/16th's line running to the engine.

Kat
Old 02-09-2005, 10:36 PM

well to be a little more clear as to what i'm talking about, i'll do the best I can. Starting at the strainer I have the strainer, next there is the metal bracket that holds the pumpin, next is the rubber mount, then the pump with black foam around it, then there is the part that I'm asking about. It connects onto the pump, which has a 5/16' round plastic pipe sticking out of it. Then it connects to the metal fuel line that comes out of the tank. The best I can describe it is on both ends of it it has a big orange fat o-ring that seals onto the pump and the pipe to the engine. almost like a butt connector connecting two hoses. But what makes me curious as to what this "connector" is, is that on one side of it it had an oval shaped stamped steel plate held in place by the plastic. To me it looks as if this were a diaphram of some sort. I have done alot of fuel pump changes in my time but have never come accross anything like this. If I had my camera working, i'd take pics but my description will have to do for now.

Hope this helps!

Joe
Old 02-09-2005, 10:43 PM

Car: 91 formula
Engine: 355
Transmission: T-5
that's what I call the pulsator(probably not the technically correct name I think it's pulsation dampner) it's there for noise suppression like jonarotz said, it's ok to leave it out and replace with hose.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28
I think that is actually the correct name for it I couldn't remember what it was called.
Pulsator, It absorbs the pulses from the fuel flow in an attempt to quiet things down. Just leave it out if your worried about it. I actually left mine in when I did my pump install.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:41 PM

ok kool, thanks guys! I went ahead and left it on there. I didn't replace the pump while I was at it cause on the nova you can have the tank out in about 5 min. I'll take the chance. Altho I would not take the chance if I had to do what you guys do just to take the pump out. I had a fun time getting the fuel tank out of the T/A. Cut exhaust, take out panhard bar, remove another big long brace of some sort, remove 30 pounds of heat sheild and get about 10 punds of dirt in my eyes during the whole 3hr long process. That really suxd.

I appreciate the help with the "pulse dampner"??? question. Not that I was afraid of it going bad but I just wanted to know what it does, and if it is somthing that could be replaced with a regular peice of fuel line. (rated for a high pressure of course)

THANKS GUYS!!!! THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!

Joe