TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car just died and wouldnt start again

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Iroc-z G92
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5 Speed
car just died and wouldnt start again

I have a 1990 iroc G92 305tpi with a 5spd and now I will get to the question.
ok I was exiting the highway and the car just died no stumble no puttering off just went dead ( the SES light never even came on). I attempted to start it but all I got was a weak crank and no go. After I pushed it of the road I notice a buzzing sound and decided to look under the hood after some ear work I found the noise sounded like it was coming from where my relays are at. I have no clue what it was but after I turned the ignition of for a couple minutes and turned it back on the buzzing began again and car wouldn’t start. however after trying this again the buzzing stopped and the car started. I’m kind of thinking a relay is going bad but need a second opinion.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first thing that comes to my mind is the fuel pump relay, based on your observations. After letting the car sit for a couple minutes, put the key in the ignition position, but don't crank. Listen to the rear of the car to see if the fuel pump is running... if all you hear is a buzzing relay but no pump, then u've found the problem.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Next time it happens bypass the fuel relay by applying 12v to the 'G' terminal. Should clear that up quick.

Did you try to pull codes yet?
Old 01-09-2005, 02:11 PM

nope i havent pulled any codes yet . i thought it didn't throw any codes because i never saw the SES light come on. I will do that today and see if I get any
Old 01-16-2005, 11:20 AM

well I replaced the fuel pump relay and so far no more problems.
I hope it works .

Thanks for all the info
Old 01-19-2005, 02:41 AM

Car: Camaro IROC Z-28 1987
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
Did you test to see if you have spark in the spark plugs?

If you don't go in the bottow of the distribuitor and take out a part that have two cables conected .... when that happened with me and my friends this part was bad.....
Old 02-03-2005, 07:41 PM

Well it didn't work
My car did it again, this time my voltage dropped to below 8 then the car began to get really sluggish. I drove it for over a block until it finally gave up and died. While I was sitting in the parking lot that I coasted into. I noticed that I did not hear the fuel pump go on and my new relay was buzzing I even felt it to be sure that was the noise (I felt it vibrating). Then I checked my terminals on the battery because my pump wire has its own terminal. And it had some corrosion on it . I twisted it a little shut the hood and started the car up. I haven't figured if it is the corrosion or it is something else going bad.

Could this be my problem
Old 02-03-2005, 07:59 PM

If you can turn the terminal connectors on your battery easily, they may be too loose.

If that relay is buzzing, I would guess that it is turning on and off very very fast. The voltage that is triggering it on and off may be off some.

I would check the battery connections real well. If they are corroded they will give you trouble in the future for sure. Even if they aren't causing the problem now.