TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting plenum/runners/manifold/heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T-5 WC
Axle/Gears: Yukon 3.73
Porting plenum/runners/manifold/heads

I have a 1989 GTA with a 5 liter TPI. Recently, I had a new 5 liter long block from GM installed with all the original TPI equipment swapped over. I did a coolant bypass on the stock throttle body today utilizing the information from this internet site. The next step is to do some porting of the plenum, the tubes from the plenum to the intake manifold(which I think are the runners?), the intake manifold and the heads. Since I do not have the tools or the experience/skill I think I would take these to an experienced machine shop. I expect there would be costs to tear these parts down and put them back together maybe 4 hours of labour and gasket costs. However, does anyone have an estimate of the time (as labour rates would vary from your city to mine) to port each of the plenum, runners, intake manifold and heads? I spoke to one machine shop in my city who said nobody ports and polishes heads any more and my mechanic advised me it is just as cheap to buy new aluminium heads. However, I have heard of people having their heads (or their engine's heads polished, sorry small joke there). Any estimates would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-24-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88GTAnotchbac/91 -Z/66 Chevelle
Engine: All strokers
Transmission: Pro built 700r4's
try using the search feature and type in porting heads somthing like that there are two good articles where a couple guys explain in total detail how much work is involved I have done it and its pretty easy and well worth the time and money and even the expense of the tools needed.

get your yellow pages out and look for any hot rod shops in your area to get esstimates. one place told me 800 for my heads only..