TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Exhaust Goo??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 360ci
Transmission: Auto
Black Exhaust Goo??

I looked at a 88' Trans Am GTA, 110k miles, Car looks like its had a Long & Hard life!!! I noticed lookin at this car that the Driver side Exhaust there was a faded black mark on the ground and the same black around only the driver side tail pipe and then runing my finger inside the pipe there was a goo black me and my friend both noticed it felt oil based. After here'in the dudes back story on the car and since he sold it a family member then got it back he dones not know when last oil change was done, but me nor my friend could feel or see any traces of water in the oil. He aslo told me that the trans am's needed to have head gaskets replaced at 80k miles but couldnt tell me if it had been done or not.
Exhaust on the car headers to a y-pipe, cat, muffler and dual out. guessing this is a Stock Exhaust set up for the Cars

Car also idles wrong, was told car needs injectors too.

I talked to a Old High School Teacher that is now a Auto Shop teacher at a differnt High School about this and he told me mostly likly bad head gasket and probly bad head.

What do you all think of this? Car is Priced just under $2k
Thank ya'all Ahead of Time!
Old 05-19-2004, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.7L/L98
Transmission: 700r4
Trans Ams do not need the head gaskets replaced at 80K. There are plenty of people on these boards with 150K + on there stock engines never opening them up. You don't say wether its a 350 or 305 auto or stick, t-tops or not, lot of factors play to the value of the car.

Goopy black stuff from exhaust Hard to say what that may be never seen it. Possibly a really bad cat that is clogged and heating up releasing carbon.

Does it have headers on it or cast rusty looking exhaust manifold. Other than that its a single cat stock setup. Hows the body? Obviously it will need attention to the motor. Either a rebuild or a good tune up. Look at replacing the cat and 02 sensor with the tuneup. If its a head gasket leak there will be coolant in the oil, drain it and see.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:08 PM

omcrider: Sorry i thought all GTA's where the same with a 350 TPI,Auto Trans(rebuild he said with mild shift kit and something form a Vett). Its also a Hard Top, Stock Manifold.Exhaust he said is new'er but it looks at least 6months old or so, I would guess just behind the cat and back. I am looking at buying the car so I dont think the guy will let me do a oil change to look for coolent.
I am hoping to go back and look at the car with a Friend that owns a Local Auto Repair Shop but hes hard to get ahold of during the week so i havnt had time to talk to him about this matter yet. I will take some Pic's of the Goo and under the hood next time when I go.

As for coolent in the oil if the car is Cold will the coolent and oil sperat where i could tell if theres coolent on the dip stick??

BTW what Size Injectors does a 350 TPI run for a stock engine? what size could i upgrade to on a stock engine? I what to know how much i will have to put into the car so i have good grounds to talk the dude down on price.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.7L/L98
Transmission: 700r4
Even the GTA's had some differences, between 350 and 305, auto or stick, hard top or t-top, steel or aluminum driveshaft, rear end gear ratios, analog or digital dash, those things can vary even on a GTA.

Lets see your in Wisconsin so my guess is exhaust was changed because the old one rusted out. More than likely the cat wasn't changed with that and I doubt he put a cat-back system on, probably just the muffler and tailpipes. I am just guessing from the sound of its condition doesn't seem like he wanted to put any more money than he needed to.

As far as coolent in the oil sometimes you can tell on the dipstick it will have a brown color to it, and you will see almost like swirls in it because the oil, water, and coolant doesn't blend perfectly. I have heard of people being able to tell by the dipstick.

350's used 22lb injectors and on a stock engine there is no reason to go bigger. You need to do alot of engine mods before your motor will actually need more fuel than those injectors can pump. New injectors are a good idea however on a high mileage engine. Five-o motorsports has a set for about $200. The first thing shoudl be a real good tune up, then look at letting it breath better.

One more thing plenty of people have been told that there car was a 350 before buying only to find out later its a 305. Check the Vin the eigth digit will be an 8 to verify. No way to tell just from looking at it.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:09 AM

Sorry I sould have been more clear i though GTA's Only was 350 with a Auto trans. I had to pass on this car but it had gotten Hail Dmg(In Case you didnt know South East Wis is Geting TONS of Storms and there is many Roads Flooded over!) badly the guy called me and lowerd his price since of the dmg but i had no choice but to pass on the car. Thanks for all ya help! Sorry i didnt get around to posting here faster. I am still on the Hunt for my Bird!