TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 throttle cable-easy fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.1L Gen III
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
LT1 throttle cable-easy fix

Ok I have a heavy foot, my second run ever at the track with the LT1 intake and I broke the throttle cable right after launching the car. It pulled the cable right out of the newly brazed end. So if you think you car is/was slow, just think of me clocking off a two minute 1/4 mile.

Anyway enough of my story, here's the quick and easy fix I found with the cable I brought brand new.

1. First off to do this you'll have to pull your old cable from the car. You could probably do it in the car, but I’m certainly not nimble enough to do it, and if you screw up the cut on this fix, you’ll be buying a new cable. Their is a black cap that slides between two crimped black inserts. This cap slides into the arm of the gas pedal and connects the cable to the pedal.
2. Cut this plastic cap straight down one side.
3. Lightly pry it apart with a small flat blade screw driver and remove it from the line.
4. Now re-install it in front of the first crimped brass insert. By doing this you effectively shorten your throttle cable about 1¼” without cutting and brazing and risking a future breakage leaving you stranded.
5. Reinstall on the car.
6. Your not quite home free yet. The next step is to shorten the plastic tubing on the throttle body side of the cable. There is an outer tube that the cable rides inside of and a smaller plastic tube that protects the cable from wear. Take your time and do it right, as too much and the tubes may bind on each other. If you look close in the picture of it you can see just a bit of the cable between the two tubes, I cut one or both of them just slightly too short. It doesn’t bind often, but sometimes I can kind of feel it catch when I first get on the throttle.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 throttle cable-easy fix-p10100812.jpg  
Old 05-18-2004, 09:24 PM

Here's the throttle body side of the line. You have to cut both black "tubes" here.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 throttle cable-easy fix-p1010087.jpg  
Old 05-18-2004, 09:30 PM

And one more, I'm not sure why but car domain isn't giving me full size versions of the pics or I'd host them there. I know its hard to find your bearings in this pic, but thats the steering column at the top, and you can see the plastic caps I'm talking about. The bottom one is the one that came on the new cable un-modified, the other in the gas pedal/arm is the old one off my old cable. The pedal at full throttle is about 1/2 from the carpet, which is kinda nice as a floor mat can't stop the throttle from opening completly. The whole write up is on my car domain site. Just click the pic in my signature if you want a few other pics.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 throttle cable-easy fix-p1010085.jpg  
Old 07-08-2004, 03:41 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Trans Am
Engine: LQ4
Transmission: T-56
so is that a stock cable, or an lt1? also, what kind of bracket are you using?