TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF translater coming for TPI

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Irocz
Engine: 350TPI $6E
Transmission: 700R4
MAF translater coming for TPI

Per J.R. Granatelli
(copied from LS1.com)

(Post #1)
Horsepower Meter?
http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...programmer.htm

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...51001small.jpg

enlarged photo shos proto-type production is done and half the size. displays realtime HP figures in realtime based on airflow through meter.

for more info start asking question and or call us. Just ask for me

J.R. Granatelli 805-486-6644

We have a meter for the early model
part Number 350100 is Meter for 85-89 TPI as for HP meter it can be made to adapt over - we will have a direct fit in 4 months for early model cars

As for testing - ya - it has been tested and accurate to within 4 hp.

This device will do everything a MAF translator will do and more. Plus it shows true HP at all times. It does not rely on inertia is function off airflow. Also it mounts in the car so reading HP is simple plus calibrating your idle as well as air fuel ratio is a snap
Old 12-20-2003, 09:53 PM

Can I hold my breath?

I heard about this 3 years ago.
Old 12-21-2003, 06:06 PM

Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Is there a picture that can be shown of the adj MAF?
Old 12-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Why do you want this? With the ability to program the chip so easily...and a cheap WBO2 sensor for actual A/F ratio...along with Moates software, the adjustable MAF sensor is a band-aid...

This is especially true given the hardware limitation of 255 gm/sec in the programming...

JMHO,
Old 12-22-2003, 11:08 AM

Car: I
Engine: Taunt
Transmission: Mustangs
Why do you want this? With the ability to program the chip so easily...
Ha, that's funny. Look at the size of this article. As I am sure you know this article doesn't even go into why but just how. MAF translators have two screws that adjust everything. Now that's easy. Not even to mention the cost comparison, JMHO.

Regardless of which everyone else thinks is better, I'd buy one...if it does ever hit the market.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:55 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Engine: 2.3 DISI Turbo
Transmission: 6 speed MT
Originally posted by Dustin Mustangs
Ha, that's funny. Look at the size of this article. As I am sure you know this article doesn't even go into why but just how. MAF translators have two screws that adjust everything. Now that's easy. Not even to mention the cost comparison, JMHO.

Regardless of which everyone else thinks is better, I'd buy one...if it does ever hit the market.
What can be done with a MAF translator is miniscuule in comparison to chip editing/burning. A programable MAF can lie to the ECU about how much air is coming in, forcing the ECU to change load values in the process, that's it! Then, the ECU still uses it's chip programmed settings for those load values to adjust timing, fuel, and highway fuel trims. Using the wrong MAF values to tune??? Bandaid fix at best.

The computer programable MAF is $300, $275 for the POTS adjustable one... I burn chips for less than $200 for everything. What will I do with my extra C-note?:lala:

Where's the advantage?
Old 12-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
Originally posted by Dustin Mustangs

People who are afraid to program their own chips don't realize how easy it really is. At first it is extremely intimidating. But, once someone learns how they always say ... wow, this is so much easier than I thought it would be. It is more intimidating than anything else.

In its simplest form programming a chip is ...
1) Load a Binary chip file in a program like TunerCat or TunerPro and make the necessary changes. Exit the program.
2) Load the programmer's software and load the new BIN.
3) Put a blank chip on the burner and program it.
4) Swap chips

Wow. Rocket science. It really isn't hard to program a new chip for your car.

Fact is - any MAF translator for a thirdgen MAF car is basically a total piece of chit. Piece of chit - there, I said it again. Why? Because any reasonably modded thirdgen can't benefit from it. Those guys with reasonably modded MAF cars tweak the power enrichment tables to make WOT changes. Guess what? The MAF translator won't do squat in that arena. The only thing that it will allow you to do is to register up to 255g/s at any airflow level. Wow. Big freaking deal. Any thirdgen that maxes the MAF will not benefit from this device at all except for those points lower in the RPM range where the MAF won't be maxed out.

Tim
Old 12-22-2003, 02:46 PM

I dont agree that being able to use a MAF that will accurately read more than 255 gm/s is of no use. Everyone is still in the dark about how to get around the 'problem' (well... not everyone), so they say that its useless. I guess if you think that 255 gm/s is a limit cast in stone, you'd think so. Nothing is cast in stone, especially when it comes to something that is programmed what to think.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
Originally posted by madmax
I dont agree that being able to use a MAF that will accurately read more than 255 gm/s is of no use. Everyone is still in the dark about how to get around the 'problem' (well... not everyone), so they say that its useless. I guess if you think that 255 gm/s is a limit cast in stone, you'd think so. Nothing is cast in stone, especially when it comes to something that is programmed what to think.
What are you talking about? Who said that being able to use a MAF that will accurately read more than 255g/s is of no use? Heck - the STOCK MAF will accurately measure more than 255g/s. It's just that the ECM doesn't use anything over 255g/s.

Tim
Old 12-22-2003, 02:54 PM

True, but if you are talking about changing ecm tables, then we arent talking about stock code... and at that point, there is no more problem with the ecm only understanding 255 gm/s if you want to spend a little time on it. And no, has NOTHING to do with rescaling.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
Engine: LS3
Transmission: 6L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.27
I firmly believe that turning a few screws on an adjustable MAF is a band-aid...and won't be even close to a real solution to the issue...

The adjustable MAF seems simple, but in reality, tuning is more than the MAF, it includes the spark and/ or fuel tables as well...If the stock bins were perfect in these areas, maybe I would buy the MAF translator...but the stock bins ARE NOT optimized...especially for any combo other than bone stock.

Learning about chip burning is analagous to school...the more education I have had, the more I realize that why I don't know a lot (I have a 4 year BS in Finance)...and when you start learning about prom tuning, the answer to your own questions about "why not just use the adjustable MAF" will be answered...

Good luck...
Old 12-22-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by TRAXION
What are you talking about? Who said that being able to use a MAF that will accurately read more than 255g/s is of no use? Heck - the STOCK MAF will accurately measure more than 255g/s. It's just that the ECM doesn't use anything over 255g/s.

Tim
The ECM can use values over 255, you just have to know how it's done. I have a B-Body LT1 MAF (reads to 340 GPS) on the front of my engine, using a 1227727 ECM. It's been there about three years!

I do not use it for fuel though. I just use the MAF data to compare calcualted (SD) and measured (MAF) airflow. Sort of my own full time OBDII comparison. Also use it to calculate VE. VE table values and calculated VE values can be recorded and compared after a run. Combined with calcuated AFR and WB AFR comparisons, it makes tuning fascinating.

Scot