TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Emissions? What is necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 03:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Firebird Trans AM
Engine: 383 TPI...very soon
Transmission: TH700R4
California Emissions? What is necessary?

I was just wondering what is necessary to pass the California Visual Emissions test. I know you need a EGR valve, but is all the Air Injection necessary? How about the Air Pump? It just really clutters up the engine, I would love to junk it, but would it still pass emissions that way?

The main reason I'm asking is, I would like to stick a set of Headers on my car, but I see that the ones with the AIR tubes are a bit more expensive, so I'd like to do away with them, if I will still pass smog that way.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
u wont pass if it doesnt have a CARB cert...if they open up the hood and see no emissions stuff, not only will u fail the test anyways, they will fail u for putting illegal stuff on ur car...not that im from cali or anything, thats just the way of it, unless u have the hookups...
Old 12-10-2003, 11:17 AM

Yes you have to have the AIR. You have to have everything, and if the guy is ****... it all has to work, too.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 87 Buick GN
Engine: 3.8L (231 cid) V6
Transmission: 200-4R
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt G80/ 3.42
Originally posted by madmax
Yes you have to have the AIR. You have to have everything, and if the guy is ****... it all has to work, too.
And if the guy is really ****, you'd have to prove your "smog legal" headers are smog legal too. Ask me how I know...
Old 12-10-2003, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
Who pays for the emissions testing in CA? The vehicle owner or the state?

The state provides the testing at no cost in IL.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:58 PM

Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: LB9
Transmission: 700R4
really?! wow...29 bucks in MA
Old 12-10-2003, 02:37 PM

Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 5.7L 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4, Shift Kit
every shop in my area in cali is about 50 bucks to test. free re-inspection if u fail hehe i know i failded mine.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Firebird Trans AM
Engine: 383 TPI...very soon
Transmission: TH700R4
Originally posted by IROCZZ3
And if the guy is really ****, you'd have to prove your "smog legal" headers are smog legal too. Ask me how I know...
They just go too far with this smog crap.

So what choices do we have? Find a crooked guy at a smog station that will pass us for a few extra bux, or stick to the rules?

I guess I could pull all the smog stuff off, and then before the test just stick it all back on, but what a pain in the a$$ that would be!

That crooked guy at the smog station sounds like the way to go, wish I knew someone!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by formul8!!
Who pays for the emissions testing in CA? The vehicle owner or the state?

The state provides the testing at no cost in IL.
The state?

The vehicle owner does.

Choices? Hmmm... well of course the easiest way is put everything back. And, lets not forget a few things:

Removal of anything is a violation of federal law (watch out, FBI may be after you!)
The CHP has trained officers to check for tampering. They will write you a ticket, or worse yet... tow your polluting car away for you.The good ol 'Test Only' law. Warning to those with CCC and some of the older cars, they are targeting specific makes and models. The LG4 is prone to becoming 'Test Only' for the rest of its life here. Cant buy those jokers off.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:42 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2004 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T-56
I take it California is very serious about smog stuff! It is not too big of a deal in IL. Either it passes the roller test or it doesn't. My daily driver '99 Audi was exempt from the roller test because it is AWD.

My Formula has SLP headers w/AIR, smog pump, brand new 3" converter instead of the dual cat setup, and all other emissions stuff still intact. I do not see that huge of a gain taking the emissions stuff off over polluting the air and the hassle it creates.

How much does the smog test cost in CA? In IL, I get the letter in the mail, take it to one of the States emissions places and all set for two more years. No cost unless it fails.

Maybe because of the pic taken below? This is on top of Griffith Hill overlooking Los Angeles basin on 11/5/03.
Attached Thumbnails California Emissions? What is necessary?-hollywood-h.jpg  
Old 12-10-2003, 11:01 PM

Hell thats nothin. You should find a picture taken from that same location on ANY day from the late 70's. You wouldnt have been able to see past the first ridge.

Test cost varies. I think most places are charging right around $50 for the actual test, and its something like $10 or whatever for the certificate (Why? I dunno... its electronically transmitted to a computer in Sacramento that doesnt need help).

I've found the AIR system to be mostly useless in testing various cars. The cat and EGR have the largest and most useful effect IMO.