TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm completely confuzed.. Need pro help bigtime (LONG)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 01:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
I'm completely confuzed.. Need pro help bigtime (LONG)

Ok, let me start out by saying i've done just about anything imaginable to thirdgens (I still have the two and bought a new 2004 grand prix GT2)

It's the new car payment and lack of time now.a.daze that's keeping me from sinking money into a problem until it's fixed on the bird.

But anyway, I blew the motor in my 388 stroker by over-rev (Cracked the #2 cylinder wall at 7000 rpm's in 1st gear, my bad, I was trying out a new ignition and could-of-swore I set the rev limit.

My setup and wiring in my car is old and funky. Anyway I took the original 350 (took 355 before I pulled it and it ran great under basically the same setup)

I always had a code 33, and a 4* (speed sensor, I never hooked it up, I don't remember the number exact) but she ran great. I even burned some chips to get it closer.

When the motor died I figured I'd slap the old motor in, but being the gear head I am, refreshed it with a new cam (LT4 hot) and timing set (Cloyes) and the heads off the dead motor (Trick flow) I used fel-pro 1094 shim gaskets sprayed with hylomar to reseal....and since a piece of piston was MIA from the carnage I checked the heads by filling the ports with rubbing alcohol and check the valves for leaks and they were OK. I had to get a dif flywheel because of the new balance and r.m.s. back to 1 piece issues and got one of those fiodanza aluminum pieces (T56,LT1)

Drop the motor in and she starts up and shakes like hell, clutch in or not, and the more rpms the more she shakes (balance issue with the flywheel i'd guarantee). I was mad but there seems to be another porblem or more at least. When it warms up it will not start no matter what. No sign of starting at all. This is where it gets strange. The new ignition I put in (MSD-6ALN with the MSD digital ignition controller, MSD pro-billet distrib) is sparking more than fine during the crank. I set the timing curve through laptop to 0 deg and set advance to 0, because i'm running a seperate timing curve from the GM piece I tapped into the pickup coils winding to the MSD unit, but still retained the in cap module and just left the "C" terminal hang.... You know GBRE +C..... I ran fine this way on the last motor, but now it cranks warm with no sign of start, plugs dry as a bone, injectors not firing.... I dump some lawnmower gas into the intake tract and she fires right up and runs w/o stalling so it's definatly a fuel while cranking issue.

I checked grounds, changed the computer and PROM (Ahem TPIS ZZ4 burn that I payed way to much for), changed the module, new plugs, substituted a set of wires in........ to no help....

I know it sounds half assed but it not throwing any codes it shouldn't, and everthing seems to check out OK. I have a warm start with no injector pulses, I've tried changing the module and hooking up a regular coil to the + and C terms and same prob. I didn;t try changing te distrib yet, fuel pressure is dead on where I want it. Disconnecting the computer and checking the harness power/ign power is OK, momentarily grounding the injector A&B (D15&16 IRM) fires both banks of injectors no prob. I still cannot get spark from the +C terms with a new module so...... I may have answered my own question, is the MSD pickup bad? I went through hell and realy can't spend much more trying to find the problem and I miss driving 'er.

The pics are my dead cylinder, the car, and the motor... It's the same as my sig but I went back to a 355 LT4 hot setup with the same exact setup.

I think the NEXT thing to check would be swapping out the distrib. Please post any input as I'm running out of time (Parked on street, expired inspection 2 mos ago) and money.

Here's some pics and WinALDL info while a warm start and idle w/o moving.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:43 AM
Supreme Member

WinALDL

l

Last edited by JoelOl75; 09-07-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:44 AM
Supreme Member

Sorry for the butcher job, I cant get the text to format correct.
Old 09-07-2003, 02:08 AM
Z69
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try the little # button at the top of the window when you edit.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Supreme Member

When you replaced the ignition module, did you go with a good AC Delco unit, or an aftermarket? I haven't had it happen to me, but I have read on here that some people have replaced the ignition module, and the new one was faulty too. They replaced it with a good delco unit, and it fired and ran perfect. Also, next time it does it put a fuel pressure guage on the rail to verify pressure. Maybe your pump is on its way out.

Matt
Old 09-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Supreme Member

Pressure is good, and I tried 2 different modules. I'm going to rewire the 4 wires to the computer, maybe it's an intermittent open when the harness heats up.