TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completed: LT1 Heads on a GEN1

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Bright Red 91 GTA
Engine: CARBED LT4
Transmission: MK6
just a FYI you can use the stock brackets and serp setup with a LT1 motor...its just takes about 3 hours and a cut off wheel..
Old 02-24-2004, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-14-2004, 04:26 PM

Car: '89 GTA
Engine: a bunch of pieces
Transmission: still there - very stockish TH700
Back from the past...

I'd like to use Gen1 intake with coolant crossover; have an idea of routing coolant lines. When you'll look at front of any EFI intake, there're at least 2 sensor holes, how about enlarging 'em to ~1/2" size and connecting with unplugged holes in frnts of heads? This way I could use stock thermostat housing; rear ports in heads could be connected to the heater or heater valve. CTS could be placed in T-joint together with one of new lines.
There're going to be clearance problems with serp. system brackets but I think they'd be soved with little amount of grinding...

What's your opinion?

edit: LT1 intake gaskets are positioned with pins and small hole in head surface, these holes must be welded or plugged of course

Last edited by z_power; 03-14-2004 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Personally I think by the time you're done accomplishing that you've negated most the benifit of the LT1 head on a SBC combo which is the combination of the heads and LT1 intake, which becomes a direct bolt on instead of a conversion. The conversion is almost entirely in the heads. Not to mention to use a SBC1 intake on LT1 heads entails alot more modifications to get coolant to flow through the original coolant passage of the intake for the thermostat.

I wouldn't bother if it was me, unless using the LT1 intake.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: American Iron Firebird
Engine: The little 305 that could.
Transmission: Richmond T-10
Axle/Gears: Floater 9" - 3.64 gears
Would you mind sharing what cam you're using?

I'm thinking about doing the same thing and someone is selling a used LT1 cam around. You just have to cut the dowel pin off, right?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

In my opinion an LT1 cam is hardly worth your time taking the engine apart, its a stock cam for a stock cam, you can find plenty at decent prices to avoid one.

I'm running flat tappet so it wont help you but anything in a 230° range with a 112 lsa and as much lift as you can afford will match the heads well.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:13 AM
Supreme Member

Oh, it's not a stock cam. I'd rather not post the specs though.

It's somewhere in the area you recommended though.

Any idea on how much lift the heads can take in stock form? If I have to get screw-in studs I'll just run guide plates and save some money by using non-self aligning RRs.

Just picked up the cam the other day. I still need to find a deal on heads/intake/fuel rail and '93 TB [usable w/ 700R4].

How's your project coming BTW?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

TTT to renew interest. This is an awesome idea
Old 04-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Supreme Member

The heads went to the machinist again for new guides, they should be assembled and installed early this season. I'll be sure to post updates.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:14 PM
Supreme Member

I scored an LT1 intake with fuel rail for $20 locally, I thought I was only getting the bare intake. Too bad I already had a fuel rail coming from ebay for $50 I guess it'll just go back on ebay.

I started calling around to machine shops today to see if anyone has any LT1 heads laying around. One shop said they've only got iron ones and the other thought he might have a few laying around, I'm hoping he'll call back tomorrow.

All aluminum LT1 heads are fine, right? I haven't heard of any significant performance difference.

Once again, thanks for the pics tpi-roc. I'm going to bring them into the machine shop so they know exactly what needs to be done. How's your project coming?
Old 04-29-2004, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

My heads are done except for the hardware. I just blew up another rear so that dipped into the LT1 head funds for now but after buying some springs they can go on.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:27 PM

Engine: 350
Transmission: 4-speed
Do you have any pics of the cooling holes in the heads. I,m planning on doing the same to my heads and I would like to see how you did it.
THanks,
AJ
Old 07-01-2004, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Any more work done on it? I've had a few sets of LT1 head slip through my hands and I hurt a short block so I'm behind schedule.

Just wondering, I love the idea of $300-400 total for aluminum heads
Old 07-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Supreme Member

Only thing they dont have is springs and guide plates. The rear still has priority. I'll be sure to post any updates on the heads.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
bump... any new news. a thread over on another forum got me wondering how your project is going. Someone over hear was asking if it could be done.

http://www.z28.com/showthread.php?s=...378#post147378
Old 08-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Supreme Member

Hey chris,

No no news, they're done but the car still sits needing a rear. If anybody knows where I can get a smoke'n deal on some 3.73s or a solid rear for a low price let me know so I can put the heads on the engine.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:19 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Z28
Engine: Boosted LSX
Ive got a drum brake, 3.42 posi rear end layin around.
Might let go of a 94Z rear end.

and I have a old ford 9inch with 3.00 gears.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Supreme Member

I'm pretty hard set on 3.73s, my car traps pefectly with them, untill they broke anyway
Old 09-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1997 Corvette
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73 IRS
Have any updates on this? I'm going to do it soon. I'm abandoning the LT1 intake swap and am going to do the LT1 head swap using a stock LT1 intake.

Did you have to re-drill the head bolt slots at all? There is something in that one link that mentions the head bolts being at a wrong angle, unless they were referring to the intake bolts because I know the intake bolts are different. It appears that in that link they ONLY swapped the heads and use the ZZ3 intake.
Old 09-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Dont have any updates, someday I"ll put them on the engine....

There's no drilling necessary except for coolant and the distributor.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Supreme Member

Can you put up some details (or PM me, either way) on what kind of drilling you had to do for the coolant holes? I'll probably be using the stock brackets and serpentine setup since I just got my 1LE pulley in. The only accessories I have are alt, p/s, and w/p.

I don't have the heads here yet, I'll be sending the money in a few days. $250 shipped gives me LT1 heads with complete valvetrain, stock LT1 intake, and 24# injectors. Should be more than enough for a 305 with headers and an LT4 Hot cam.

Anyways, I'd like to get an idea of all the work that is needed to actually mount the intake and heads. I know how to deal with an LT1 intake by itself, and I have the remote tstat housing already. I'll still need to make up some fuel lines and coolant hoses, but that's no big deal. I can take this stuff in to school and weld the aluminum plugs in for free and then take it off to be milled (the mills at school are no good for heads and that type of stuff).

How hard is the coolant crossover, and what is the easiest way to do it? If you could send me some pics (dean@xibase.com) of the LT1 heads from different angles, that'd be awesome so I could see what I'm dealing with before it gets here. What do you have each of the fittings connected to on the remote t-stat? I don't know what connections should go to what fitting.

Also, if I did the math right, this will raise compression on a 305 from 9.3 to 9.8 using a stock .018" head gasket, right? That'll be perfectly fine with 89-octane with aluminum heads and stock (for the most part) timing.

Sorry for all of the questions, but its hard to figure this out without many pics or the actual heads in my hand. PM me or email me at dean@xibase.com with more info.

Last edited by DuronClocker; 09-13-2004 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Dean-

From what I've read, the only thing you have to do to the heads with an LT1 intake is to plug the end coolant passages and weld them, then tap the intake for coolant ports in the back. I believe you have to drill a hole for one of the locater pins as well, where you had to weld in the plugs.

-TJ
Old 09-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Supreme Member

What's the smallest diameter coolant line I can run from the heads to the remote t-stat block?
Old 09-30-2004, 08:09 AM

Car: 88 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.1L Gen III
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70
I'd just use the 3/4" nipples or the AN equivilent that everyone's been using for converting the LT1 intakes. The 3/4" lines are tried and true. Also using AN fittings you should be able to find something with a 3/4 nipple and a 90 degree turn on them. On the heads you'd be able to turn them 360 when your threading them in, so it wouldn't be a problem like on the lt1 intake.

If I was going to do this though, I would place the nipples in the back of the heads, although it might take a little suggestive clearancing (enter the BFH and some wood to spread the impact a little). If your not running accessories you could have room in front of the heads.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:33 AM
Supreme Member

Personally I wouldn't run them in the back of the head. The LT1 engines have an inherant coolant system problem that comes with a sorta fix you can see just by opening the hood. There are already coolant holes at both ends of the head to help purge out air bubbles that cause cylinder hot spots and detonation. Since the engine tilts towards the tranny the highest point is the front of the heads, if you coolant exits there you have the best chance of blowing out those air bubbles. However the LT1 is reverse flow and this swap isn't so the problem might not even exist, I just wont risk it myself.
Old 09-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Supreme Member

:/ I was looking out the front and 90* nipples would be easier, but even then I don't know if I could squeeze the 3/4" hoses through there. 5/8" would probably work. I tried checking out the back but as mentioned, it'd require some serious clearancing.

EDIT: Yay finally 2 pages.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:04 PM
Supreme Member

Okay, on the drive side head, the coolant will exit out of the rear as there is plenty room on my car. On the passenger, there is NO room behind the head, so it will have to exit out front where there is a little room. There will be much more after some grinding.

Did have a question though. The coolant port on the rear of the passenger head has no plug in it, and looks like something was screwed into it. I'm assuming this was a coolant line. If these heads on an LT1 could use such a small coolant line, why can't they on my motor?
Old 10-03-2004, 08:49 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by DuronClocker
Okay, on the drive side head, the coolant will exit out of the rear as there is plenty room on my car. On the passenger, there is NO room behind the head, so it will have to exit out front where there is a little room. There will be much more after some grinding.

Did have a question though. The coolant port on the rear of the passenger head has no plug in it, and looks like something was screwed into it. I'm assuming this was a coolant line. If these heads on an LT1 could use such a small coolant line, why can't they on my motor?

^ read above ^
Old 10-20-2004, 02:51 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am
Engine: 383 carbed sb
Transmission: th350
I have a 406 small block with flat top pistons and 2 valve relifs. Its new, has no heads.

I also have a complete lt1 parts car with a damaged block/crank (beyond salvage).

I could do this lt1 swap onto the 406 with lt1 intake, holley commander 950 ecu and harness, this combo could work. But what about Lt1 heads being able to handle steam holes for the 406. Also, I think the compression would be too high. 11:1 I could handle, any more I don't think I could.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 Z28
Engine: Al LT1 headed LG4 305
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi with spacer
What is behind the coolant passages that are blocked off? Is it a big hole or just a little passage? I am wondering if it would be easier to pour molten aluminum in there instead. You might be able to stick some thing in the coolant passage so that the molten aluminum doesn't flow too far.

I'd like to put some LT1 heads on my 305 just for the weight savings, but i don't want to go through all the trouble of welding and crap.

Does anybody that has worked on LT1 heads have an opinion on this idea?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Supreme Member

Not going to work.

There's nothing you can put in there to block molten metals flow, that you're going to be able to get back out, or that wont melt itself. You're also going to be pouring liquid hot aluminum into aluminum, which probably has a better chance of warping or damaging the deck surface. Then you still have to mill. You're not saving any time, trouble, or money.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah i guess you are right, i've just been casting aluminum lately and thought hey what if.

I'm gonna think about it alittle more and see if i come up with anything. Probably not a good idea anyway though.

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Supreme Member

The project has resumed. The heads are now fitted with 2.00 1.56 valves and brass guides. They're fully ported and machined ready for install. I'm buying all the valve train components, they came out with a 1.81" instaleld height affording me .600 lift so I'm ordering a custom grind of .550, with enough room for 1.6 rockers later. I'll take pictures and post updates as it progresses. I earnestly hope to have the engine installed and running by a month and a half from now.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:54 PM

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
so when is someone gonna get ambitious and slap some gen 3 heads on a gen 2 or gen 1 block?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by tpi_roc
The project has resumed. The heads are now fitted with 2.00 1.56 valves and brass guides. They're fully ported and machined ready for install. I'm buying all the valve train components, they came out with a 1.81" instaleld height affording me .600 lift so I'm ordering a custom grind of .550, with enough room for 1.6 rockers later. I'll take pictures and post updates as it progresses. I earnestly hope to have the engine installed and running by a month and a half from now.
Perfect, and on January 14th, I also passed emissions, so my project can begin. All I need now is a pair of headers, an alternator bracket, get my intake drilled for dizzy, and the necessary gaskets. I have the aluminum plugs, just need to grind them to shape now and get them welded. I'm sticking with the stock 1.94/1.5 valves for now with the 305 and whenever I swap to a 350, they will get the 2.00/1.55 treatment with the lightweight LT4 valves.

My first step is going to be the alternator relocating stuff over the next two weeks (depends on if I buy headers this week or next). Hopefully you'll get it up and running before I do, so I can hear of any issues Good luck with it man and keep me updated either on this thread or in PMs.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
Originally posted by CC89Formula
so when is someone gonna get ambitious and slap some gen 3 heads on a gen 2 or gen 1 block?
It can't physically happen, that's why.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:15 PM

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
why what all is different? im asking because ive never seen a gen 3 engine torn apart
Old 01-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
Originally posted by CC89Formula
why what all is different? im asking because ive never seen a gen 3 engine torn apart
What's different? Everything. It's a completely new design. Only the cylinder spacing is the same.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Supreme Member

Just an update. I pulled the 355 out of the car this weekend. The final assembly on my 385 shortblock is done. I'm waiting on my water pump, custom grind, and valve springs. After that I'll be finishing the block and installing it. The longest out item is the valve springs due Feb. 18th. So that weekend I may be installing this beast and can report on how they run
Old 02-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

What head gaskets did you guys use? I'm going to be swapping my modded LT1's on my 305 soon and am seeing head gaskets that can not be used on lightweight castings. Whats the difference? Are the LT! heads modeled after the earlier heads or the lightweight casting GEN I designs. I want to use a .015" steel shim head gasket, do you think its a good idea?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Supreme Member

Felpro 1010

I tried the 1043 but it was a C-hair too small.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member

Finished heads

Here they are all done and ready to bolt up

Last edited by tpi_roc; 03-09-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:40 AM
Supreme Member

I took a mic and measured the inside wall dimensions of the coolant jacket to find the best pad to drill for a 3/4" NPT fitting, which is a somewhat large .9219" drill bit + threads. Here's a pic of what I came up with. Oddly enough the measurements are exactly 1 1/4" from each side for a perfectly centered hole.

Old 03-13-2005, 09:54 AM

Why don't you enlarge the hole that is already there? Thats what I'm planning on doing.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Supreme Member

Because the coolant passage there isn't large enough. If you drill into it you'll block half of your coolant fitting and seriously reduce flow. Also if you put a 3/4" NPT fitting in that area you wont be able to use either of those accessory holes. But good luck.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:26 PM

let me how yours turn out. I might change my mind and drill in a differnt location. I was planning on having the hose fitting exit the rear of the heads because it is usually the hottest there and the leat amount of air cirulation. But I could be wrong?
Thanks
Old 03-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by ajclark7
I was planning on having the hose fitting exit the rear of the heads because it is usually the hottest there and the leat amount of air cirulation.
Thanks
Where'd you get that idea?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Supreme Member

Last edited by tpi_roc; 04-18-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:06 PM

which head gaskets did you use? just wondering if felpro gaskets for l98 will work or if lt1 haskets are needed. Are there any modifications needed to the head gasket at all?

is the intake gasket the same as it would be for any lt1 fourth gen? Do you have a part number?

thank you.

p.s. how is it coming along?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:41 PM
Supreme Member

Do not reply to a thread you haven't read.

Quick Reply: Completed: LT1 Heads on a GEN1