TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you beleive this? (aka the ebay 'dual plenum' TPI base)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Formula
Engine: 355 C.I.
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42
You folks do realize that air induction limited means much more that this manifold c**p. A stock ported TPI manifold and plentum along with a set of something like ASM's runners with the proper engine combinations will max out your grams per second on your MAF's and now we are all induction unlimited another way. And there is no speed density diference either. It's all in whats below.

You folks are hooked on this and it's not about flow or chemistry involvement like I was insuled about earlier.
Part of it is thermodynamics, part of it, and lots of folks are listening to these people selling you aftermarket parts, engines are being built more like you would a 60/70's car and volumetric efficency is thrown out of calibration. Now your 355 is a 283. Pushing torque higher up, closer to the horsepower band will give you more volumetric efficiency. Torque is where Effeciency is at it's highest.
Less duration more lift and better flowing heads and you can max out a mass air flow with some porting and a set of runners.. Now where do you go ? You don't... engine builders can get 500 horse's at 5200 rpm that will max your maf's at about 4 grand.

Air Limited means more than manifold..... Make horsepower where it counts not where you can't.. Aslo LT1's have 50 more horse's because of a lot more than just a stupid intake. Heads, reverse Collant flow and dura spark design all helped that motor and it's not all that. I know, I've been a G.M. tech for 27 years...
Old 01-14-2003, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Aslo LT1's have 50 more horse's because of a lot more than just a stupid intake. Heads, reverse Collant flow and dura spark design all helped that motor and it's not all that. I know, I've been a G.M. tech for 27 years

You would think in 27 years, One would discover its called an Optispark, Not Duraspark. Additionally, The Lt1 has a Less agressive Cam than the L98, Its additional HP can be attributed to Its better flowing Intake and heads.

Why do you think Putting a Holley stealth Ram On a STOCK L98 netted 60 More Horsepower At the new Horsepower Peak ?

How Many 9 Second Cars do you know Running Stock L98 Induction, Because there are 9 sec cars running the Stock LT1 Manifold all over the place.

As to Poncho, I don't care who's car it is - Show me a Stock TPI car in similar streetable condition wich runs that number.

It has nothing to do with being a Man or not - thats a completely inane comment.

Besides - Your car is .5 seconds slower than mine anyway - So how do you get off Making Comments like that ?

Mine is a goddamn 305 to boot, lol.

Why Don't you Be a Man, and get your stock TPI 350 to At least Run as well as a Stock headed 200k Mile 305, lol.

Last edited by Bort62; 01-14-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
///You would think in 27 years, One would discover its called an Optispark, Not Duraspark. Additionally, The Lt1 has a Less agressive Cam than the L98, Its additional HP can be attributed to Its better flowing Intake and heads. \\\

I am not sure of exact lift numbers or duration, but an Lt1 cam is bigger than an L98 Cam. That on top of the better heads and intake.

Drew

87 Trans Am GTA <-- in the 10's
88 Trans Am WS6 <-- in the 11's
94 Camaro Z-28 <-- dont know yet
Old 01-14-2003, 12:50 PM

Car: 2004 BMW 330Cic
Engine: 3.0
Transmission: 6 speed
Besides - Your car is .5 seconds slower than mine anyway - So how do you get off Making Comments like that ?
That happens to be my bone stock time without even a tune up. I ran it to get a baseline for my car before I start working on it.

Nonetheless, your challenge was made using someone elses car. I never questioned the capabilities of others, I questioned yours. You challenged me to show you that I am capable of building a fast car and then race against someone else. Hell weenie a$$ challenges like that are easy to make....Look ....I'll call you out. Build the fastest car you can with no limitations to run as fast a Top Fuel funny car! I might not own a TP Funny car but I know people how do, so there beat that. That's how ridicilous your challenge sounds to me.

Being a man is all about the courage to make a statement and standing up for it. All you have done is made a statement and forced someone else to prove it...you prove it and I will prove mine.

The Lt1 has a Less agressive Cam than the L98, Its additional HP can be attributed to Its better flowing Intake and heads.
Wow look at that....a milder cam can make power! I thought someone would need to be a moron to think that a mild cam can make power....Guess I was wrong again!
Old 01-14-2003, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

LOL, Im Not Challenging You - Im Challenging your choice of setup.

Your car, Your brothers car, your Uncles car - I don't care. If it has the setup you are claiming to be so great Put it on the track.

And thats fine your Car Was stock without a Tune up - It's still Slower. At the end of the Day, who got through the trap first ?

Ive got a handful of excuses why my car isnt running 13.8-13.7, But you Don't see me throwing them around. Its still Not running that Time, and untill it does I won't shoot my mouth off about it.

Regardless, This isnt a Bort Vrs Poncho Contest as you seem to think it is - Its a Comparison of stock TPI vrs Aftermarket. So Build your stock TPI car, Or find one thats already built to use as an example - And put it on the track.

Lets see the Numbers. All I see from you Is excuses.

Besides, Even if this was a Bort Vrs poncho thing, Im still .5 Seconds faster than you, with a 305. Looks like you Lose on Both counts. You were preaching earlier about Doing Instead of Teaching and application vrs theory.

Well In theory, application, and all the rest, Im Half a Second faster than you. You think you can Beat that? You think you know the secret? Stop givin me your excuses, go to the track and run a faster time. Untill You do keep your Mouth shut.

NosfedGta, IIRC The Lt1 has slightly less Duration than the L98.