TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Energy Suspension motor mounts are not good!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350ci SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Energy Suspension motor mounts are not good!!!!!!

I installed ES poly mounts and dropped in a ZZ4 bottom end but I go to bolt up the SLP y-pipe and I can barely get it to fit....... It rubs on the underside of the car. I had about an inch of clearence on the stock mounts. This is bull.......that the ES mounts had to have raise the engine about 1.5 inches. Well my qusetion is could I have put them in backwards???? If so how can I tell......man it sits high now.....about 2.5 inches between the crossmember and the pan. What is a good stock replacement mount cus I cant close my hood eighter now with the ploy mounts and the stealth ram!!!! BS!!!
Old 10-10-2002, 02:52 AM
Supreme Member

LOL, i bet its not the mount itself but its probably that the old mounts were so worn out that the engine was sagging
Old 10-10-2002, 03:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Faster
Engine: Than
Transmission: You!
Did you get the ES poly clamshell inserts, or did you get the whole mounts? If you got the inserts, did you use the ZIP ties to hold the original clamshell together? If you used the ZIP ties, take them off. Use the motor mount bolts to hold the clamshell together, the Zip ties will add a little bit of height.

Mike (1bad91Z)
Old 10-10-2002, 01:49 PM

easy way to tell if they are in right is if the ends of the bars running through the poly, are lined up with the notches in the clamshell part of the mount. My Y-pipe was tight when I put it back together also, had to bend it away from the floor after.
Im not sure if the bolts would line up if you had them in backwards either, I dont think they would. And just so you know, my hood does not fit with the Stealth Ram and Poly Mounts, and they are in the RIGHT way too. I had 2 other mechanics look at it and compared it to a couple other irocs. I can slam my hood shut, but it rubs the TB, and I am not going to dent my hood to make it fit...
Old 10-10-2002, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 Subaru STI
Engine: 153ci of Turbo Power!
Transmission: 6-Speed
The mounts work fine. The problem is that your engine was sagging with the old mounts and therefore, when the y-pipe was fitted it was fitted to work with your sagging mounts. Now that you have real mounts installed the y-pipe is going to be way too tight. It's not the mounts. It's the y-pipe assembly. I had ES mounts with SLP headers and y-pipe with no problems.

t
Old 10-11-2002, 05:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
I have the ES motor mounts. Going from rubber to ES made no difference in engine height for me, but my rubber mounts were still good. The Zip-Ties just hold the mount inserts tight in place while you put the 3 bolts in to bolt the whole thing to the car.

I noted a huge improvment in handling however, with the rubber mounts the whole engine would move and pop up slightly at WOT and the aircleaner dented my hood! Now the engine sits still and the car actually steers better. its not like a boat anymore...
Old 10-18-2002, 11:33 AM

Car: 1989 Iroc-Z
Engine: 350ci SBC
Transmission: 700R4
Ok that makes no sense....an SLP y-pipe is and SLP y-pipe is an SLP y-pipe......well you get the idea...I fit the exhaust myself and the y-pipe fit fine before now its just way too tight........
Old 10-19-2002, 12:27 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
<b>Ok that makes no sense....an SLP y-pipe is and SLP y-pipe is an SLP y-pipe</b>
Unless your SLP y-pipe isnt an SLP y-pipe anymore. Maybe it got beat up / twisted / annoyed / warped / etc...
Old 10-19-2002, 10:01 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
When you put the SLP Y-pipe together it can / is manipulated to give you the ground clearance you want. Have you ever put a multi-piece exhaust sytem together? Lots of adjustment possible and needed.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:03 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. Many people here have problems with the SLP y-pipe hitting SSM subframe connectors. I had that problem and solved it by loosening all the exhaust system bolts, sliding a thin piece of wood between the pipe and connector, then retightening the bolts from the headers back. Then I knocked out the piece of wood and no more clearance problems. This was right after I installed ES poly motor mounts. They are an excellent upgrade to any thirdgen. Most factory mounts are worn and when you pull them out you'll see just how squooshed it is (almost an inch difference!) which lets the engine sit lower than it should. I noticed snappier response and some handling differences as well, but then again I put in a ES poly transmission mount at the same time.