TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

305 TPI probs, need some input!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
305 TPI probs, need some input!!!

89 formula 350 TPI,Trickflow 23*heads,comp cam,StealthRam,SLP headers,catco cats,flomaster cat back,ported maf,auto w/shiftkit,3.23,2500 stall,BMR lca relocation bracks,lakewood lca's, cold air induction,AFPR,custom chip,best ET 13.926@98.27mph WO/stealthram

Okay thats just a random sig off someone, I wanted to ask you guys when the 305 TPI decides to end its power peak. After cam, heads, intake what else is there to get??? Will I be stuck at a modest 13.5 @ XXXmph??? Or can I bump her to the high 12s. I'm wondering and no dissing on the 89 Formula 350 TPI, but that is a lot of mods for just a 13.9 @ 98mph. Do I have to buy a mustang or what? I'm just wondering cause I'm getting really sick of the 305s weak powerband where I could just sell my car for $4500 and put it towards a 88-93 Notchback 5spd that has potential for 12s with the stock motor. I know I have a 305 but for my amount of mods not many 350 Iroc-Zs can say they ran that stock. I just want to know, cuz I either plan on A) keeping the 305 just installing 1.6RRs, chip, afpr, injectors, driveshaft, and pulleys and just build a 355 or 383 to put in or B) selling the car for $4500 and buying a 5.0 5spd. I love chevys but theres a reason there arent many of us 3rd genners running high 12s when every other mustang my friends have run low to mid 13s with minor mods.

With these mods what do you think I'll gain off???
1.6RRs, chip, afpr, injectors, driveshaft, and pulleys

I want high 12s and I know there is no replacement for displacement but it feels good to say all it is is a 305 and people go

any input appreciated :lala:
Old 08-19-2002, 02:54 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
That is indeed a fairly weak time for that 350, but he probably had a ****ty 60 foot and that time is with the stock intake, definitely holding him back. Would love to see the improvement with the SR. Track altitude/conditions play a big part too so it's hard to compare his times to yours and knock them.

Anyway, I think you'll only see around a low/mid 13 with the 305 built up, but you should be easily able to get into the 12s with a decent 350 TPI launching well. If you can't hit 12s with a heads/cam/intake 350 TPI with a decent launch (at a good track) then something is wrong.

Or you could supercharge your 305 after a few more mods and run in the 12s that way. I mean you're not going to just buy a stock 5.0 Stang and run 12s after a couple bolt on's either...

Last edited by Ray87Z; 08-19-2002 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2002, 04:25 PM

I didn't mean to rag on him, I'm sure there can be various reasons, just I know A LOT of mustangs that are running 12.80s to like 13.40s. Maybe its just time for another mod, I really want some RRs once I get a job it will be done. I plan to run her mid October when its cool out to get a good run.
Old 08-19-2002, 06:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
First things first. It's always going to be easier for a stripper notch stang to go fast than a 700lb heavier f-body. There's just nothing you can do to make up a 20% weight savings.

With that said, outside of the ultralight cars, going 12s in a mustang is not as easy as you paint it to be. Maybe where you live everywhere has the right combos and tuned nailed down (and / or poweradders), but i've seen plenty of high 13 second stangs with everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them.

There's more than a couple 305 TPIs around here that have run into the low 13s and high 12s completely naturally aspirated. Tim Burgess, mod of the electronics board has one such car, and he's gone 12s with stock heads and TPI, again, NA.

As for 98mph 350s with cam/heads, etc. Yes, unfortunately there are a lot of people that just never get things right. I don't consider such results typical since i know and have seen so much more accomplished. Don't judge potential by looking at failure, look at what IS being accomplished instead. Like i said, i've seen plenty of heads/cam mustangs barely break 13s. Or how about blower / nitrous mustanga in the 13s, seen those too. Of course i also had a buddy with a complete stripper notch that was good for way low 13s with just bolt ons.

I don't know what else to tell you really. But if you whip out one more example of a poorly tuned/broken thirdgen and it's ET i'm going straight to the corral and copying the same SOB stories from stangers.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:58 AM

Yea i suppose your correct. There are a lot of people with stangs around here that got nice combos tho, thought that was mostly everywhere. Plus you give me some incentive since i see you got a 1.8 60ft im hoping for one also and maybe i can grab 13s with just exhaust.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Ed Maher

As for 98mph 350s with cam/heads, etc. Yes, unfortunately there are a lot of people that just never get things right. I don't consider such results typical since i know and have seen so much more accomplished.

Old 08-20-2002, 12:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
Originally posted by 90Iroc-Zee
Yea i suppose your correct. There are a lot of people with stangs around here that got nice combos tho, thought that was mostly everywhere. Plus you give me some incentive since i see you got a 1.8 60ft im hoping for one also and maybe i can grab 13s with just exhaust.
No, there are nice mustang combos everywhere. But in my experience, truly well done mustangs are few and far between when it comes down to it. All of the fastest mustang guys i know are all about 'secrets'. Only after they sell the car and build a new one do you find out that the 'i just slapped together this combo that runs 12.0 NA, never sprayed at the track cuz it doesn't have a cage' was really a forged 347 bottom end with trick flow heads ported to flow like toilet bowls, etc.
Hell, on my ride in to work this morning i sucked the ***** right off the radio of a fox GT with exhaust and the rumble of a small cam in it. Point is, there are plenty of mustangs running sorry times out there too. It's not fair to look at good examples of mustangs and then bad examples of f-bodies to draw your conclusions from.

13s in a bolt on 305 car is a very attainable goal. Over the years i've seen / heard of it done plenty of times. If my boat was knocking on that door in the spring, i'm sure it can do it in crisp fall air with some more tuning. And when you take into account how bad the intake, cam and heads are on a 305, there's still plenty of potential to move on from there.