TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD digital 6???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 10:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MSD digital 6???

anyone using one?

how hard is the install, what do you think of it, did you notice any difference and would you buy it again?

sorry for all the questions!
Old 07-01-2002, 07:34 AM

MSD all the way!!!

if you have a TPI it's easy to install MSD sells a wiring kit the hooks up to the OEM plug in...if you go with your MSD digital 6 you have to buy the MSD coil...to get the full effect..i bought the coil but not the MSD digital 6 so i didn't install nothin yet but from what i hear it's good...for you to notice a difference you don't only have to upgrade you ignition...you have to upgrade a variety of things to feel BIG differences in your performance...
Old 07-01-2002, 11:19 AM

The installation was cake. The hard part is decided where you want to put it. I took my windshield fluid tank off and put my MSD ignition right there. Summit racing sells a bracket to make installation a lot easier and more sightly. Like the other reply, buy the wiring kit...it's a nice investment and you don't have to splice wires. That kit just makes installation even easier.

Do I see a difference. Yes but only in gas mileage. I get more on the highway. Oh yeah, starts are quicker too and it smooths out idling. If you're buying it for big power gains, then it probably isn't worth your money. I would buy it again. Don't buy the one with a rev limiter...your car probably has one already.

Last edited by CrazyIROCZ; 07-01-2002 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Supreme Member

alright guys now i'm confused..........i have a 91 350 so yes it's a tpi. i was told from the place i purchased the digital 6 that i wouldn't need the wiring harness........is this not true? with the harness i won't have to splice wires then and it hooks right up?

dr.ridez why do i need a msd coil to fully use a digital 6? what difference will it make? what do you mean i have to upgrade many things to feel a BIG difference?

crazyirocz, where does the bracket locate the msd box? i take it you have used the installation kit; what did it run you? you say not to buy one with a rev limiter.........it's the digital 6, i don't have much of a choice.........is there two different digital 6 models??

sorry for all the questions guys, i appreciate all of the help and hints greatly!!
Old 07-03-2002, 08:40 AM

well you have to upgrade more then one thing to feel the effects of something else...what do you think by installin one thing that you'll feel a difference???....if you put a MSD digital 6 why wouldn't you put MSD coil???
Old 07-03-2002, 11:14 AM

Yeah, the wiring harness makes the installation easier and it hooks right up. It takes the guessing out of the splicing wires together. You don't need the wiring harness but it's neater and more secure.

I didn't use the bracket. I thought about it but I really don't care how my engine compartment looks like so long as I keep all components functioning. The bracket is for aesthetic as well as ease of installation purposes. The bracket will locate your ignition anywhere. It can be installed both vertically or horizontally.

There's two types of MSD 6's. One is the MSD 6AL (with removal rev limiters) and the MSD 6A (base MSD 6 ignition). One is cheaper than the other but if you have a rev limiter in your car, then there's no difference between the effectiveness of each of them. Go with the MSD 6A. Here are some part numbers. www.summitracing.com has some pretty competitive prices.

SME-2804, chrome ignition bracket
MSD-8876, wiring harness
MSD-6200, MSD 6A digital ignition
MSD-6240, MSD 6AL digital ignition with built-in soft touch rev control
MSD-8226, MSD GM Ignition coil, dual connector

All these are extremely simple installations. If you want to get the most of your digital ignition, you would upgrade your entire ignition system (with the exception of the distributor...it's already really good). That means performance ignition wires, ignition coils, ignition module. You can upgrade your entire ignition for about $300. Don't forget new spark plugs...you'll definately see a difference.

But do everything at your own pace and within your budget. Don't get frustrated...making your car run better takes time and money. If you have more questions, go to www.msdignition.com. Or you can come here. Good luck.

Last edited by CrazyIROCZ; 07-03-2002 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
I recently put on a 6A box, MSD coil, MSD Pro Billet distributor, and 8.5 mm plug wires. It idles smoother. I used the wiring harness and it came in handy. The 6A box was making enough EMI noise to hear it in the radio and mess up my laptop->ECM connection, so I had to disconnect it. With the wiring harness you buy from MSD, you just unplug one wire and plug it back into the coil.

Moral of the story: Get the noise supressor.
Old 07-05-2002, 12:48 AM
Supreme Member

does msd have a particular supressor or are you talking any one........

my digital 6 and harness was over 300 as well as my 8.5 wires brought me closer to 400........so i don't see how you can do all the above and stay under 3. i still have to buy the coil and i didn't bother with the distributor yet because mine works fine and msd's is almost another 300.......bringing my total well into 800.

no where near 300.

reason i bought the box was for improved spark obviously as well as better control for my nitrous.......but, never using one or installing i figured i'd ask those here who might have.

thanks for all the replies i greatly appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2002, 01:44 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
MSD makes a supressor (basically a capacitor) that you install on the power line to the box itself. It's their part number 8830.