TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needs help with a big car problem, please help. (vats maybe?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z
Engine: 383
Transmission: Pro-Built 700R4 2400 ACT Stall
Axle/Gears: 2.77 Borg Warner 9-Bolt
Needs help with a big car problem, please help. (vats maybe?)

Okay... Let me explain the past couple of weeks. Well i had overheating problems. One of the times my car overheated the SES light flashed and the car shut off. So i started it back up and it ran crappy but still ran. However earlier that night i noticed the fuel pump wasn't primeing. But the fuel pump and all is new. But i didn't pay any attention to it. I had just replaced the fuel pump last year. But i figured well can't be that, i'll just pull it in the garage and fix the overheating problem. Melted wire caused the fans not to come on. Well... Before that i had noticed that the rpms drop about 100 - 300 rpms while cruise control is on. But then it zooms back up. Yet again i pay no attention to it. So back to the day it overheated i still have the problem with while at highway speeds (55 mph) it dropping rpms suddenly then going back up. So one day on the way to work i was cruising along at 30 mph and the SES light flashed and my engine shut off. So i naturally tried to start it again. Wouldn't start. My engine temp was at 195 - 200 so my fans were supposed to be on since they were before when the engine shut off. But they weren't comeing on, and the fuel pump wasn't primeing. Nothing....just cranking. So i let it sit for 2 minutes and decided, heck i'll try again. This time it ran but like crap. So i thought well i call my cousin. He came up and looked at it when i got it to work. Said it had the symptoms of a bad coil. So i replaced the coil and this time i got smart and made him come along to see what it was doing. It sure enough died again today after we just got done replaceing the coil. So i thought well, all the other things are new, except the ignition module. Took it to autozone and had them test it. He said it was hesitating on one side and showed me. So i replaced that. Still i noticed no fuel pump primeing and i went ahead to take it for a drive... This time it took longer for it to do it but after this time it was bad. No SES light with key in the on position. Just "Security" for a few seconds, then it goes off. So We crank the the car over and got it back home with it trying to still die. I thought that dang ecm must be bad, lets replace it. Replaced it, but still no ses light, just security, and as i forgot to mention before neither of the ecms would allow me into diagnostic mode to pull trouble codes. The ecm is getting power which i thought might be the problem. But right now i'm thinking vats but i'd hate to be wrong. The fuel pump relay doesn't even click. Nothing, just the starter cranks. All of this happens at operating temperature. Any ideas guys? i'm getting frustrated and running out of things to think of that could be wrong cause most of the relays are new (like fan relays, maf, fuel pump relay, fuel pump, cap, rotor, start, battery, pickup coil, ignition cylinder, maf, cts, etc are replaced) And i even check to make sure that big orange wire that comes from the ignition cylinder was plugged in. Plus today i found that the vats relay (i believe) was bad (no voltage comeing through the other side) and i remember when i put the new ignition cylinder in that one of the wires i had to hook up on the new one had a harness, and the old one had a resistor. I'm running out of ideas.

sorry for the long post.

-Brandon
Old 06-12-2002, 03:07 PM

Car: '88 Black GTA, T-tops, digital dash
Engine: 5.7 TPI w/custom chip
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 327 posi
Try checking the SES light, mine wasn't coming on and it was burned. It rarely happens, but it did to me. If the car is cranking and the SECURITY light goes off, then it's not a VATS problem, I've had vats problems before, believe me! If the ses light is burned that's why you're not getting any codes from the ecm. Check all your fuses very carefully, including the one close to the battery, 'cause that's the one for the fuel pump.

'88 GTA
Old 06-13-2002, 10:21 AM

See oddly, today i went to start my car, just hope that i'd have a little luck and maybe it'd start. Well, for the first time in 3 days the SES light came on, and the fuel pump primed. Car started but ran rough. Then it kinda idled out and became a little smoother. So i turnt the key off and got the same thing as before. Nothing, no fuel pump prime, no ses light.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:22 PM

Car: '88 Black GTA, T-tops, digital dash
Engine: 5.7 TPI w/custom chip
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 327 posi
Ok, than it looks to me like you have an ignition problem. It's probably a loose connection somewhere. Check the ignition switch underneath the steering column, you know, the one where the rods from the ignition cylinder in the column connect and also the wires hook up to. You may have a loose connection there, or the switch itself may be going bad inside. I had that problem, where the car would give me a "partial ignition". In other words, I would have ignition in some things but my SES light wouldn't come on. Try checking that! Good luck!

David
Old 06-15-2002, 01:20 PM

Replaced the ignition switch and it still doesn't start, fuses have been checked numerous times, and from what i see the wiring seems okay. Really got me stumped.
Old 06-15-2002, 02:30 PM

I've noticed something odd...my "Brake" like for me e-brake comes on while cranking, but not when i pull the e-brake. Damn car is posessed (sp?) i swear.