TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR system looks possible on LT1 intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 12:55 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 3xx ci tubo
Transmission: 4L60E & 4L80E
EGR system looks possible on LT1 intake

I worked on the LT1 intake I have been hacking at. I still have quite a bit of welding to go. I don't have a small base HEI so I am using a small base mallory unilite distributor for fitting stuff. If the HEI is the same diameter, then it looks like running the ERG in the stock location on the intake is fine. Only one bracket needs to be made and it is a simple one. You'll have to run a TPI or equivilent EGR valve though.

I won't have a HEI distr. until this weekend, but I'll post if it is definitely possible. Sure looks like it is right now.

Oh, I opened the Stealth Ram box today too. First the that came to mind is "It's boxy, but it's nice." I don't know, it is going to take some time for it to grow on me. LT1 looks way better.
Anyone know of any flow numbers for the LT1??
J
Old 05-06-2002, 05:29 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Engine: 4.0L
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 8.8 rear, 4.56 gears, 4:1 transfer
Interesting this is. You still plan on running the single exhaust tube to the passenger side of the intake? The LT1 intake does not use cylinder head EGR like the TPI.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
junkcltr, Very interesting about the egr, this could be the solution for those guys that need to pass a visual inspection.

Also, If you're not going to be installing your stealth ram for a while, e-mail me if you'd be interested in selling your fuel rail kit.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:11 AM
Supreme Member

You would have to still use the LT1 exhaust tube for the exhaust source.

I cancelled the S/R fuel rail kit last week and changed the order to the AFPR kit. Man, that's too bad I would have sold it to you. I would have gotten the first S/R fuel rail kit this week.

Summit says that the AFPR kit won't ship until 1st or 2nd week of June.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:18 PM
Supreme Member

The distributor that I am using seems like it is the same size as the small base HEI. I had to notch the area by the EGR valve boss to get it to seat all of the way.

I re-bent the original exhaust tube that came with the intake to clear the distr. I also had to grind the flange plate to clear the distr. The bolt that holds it to the intake by the distr. will have to be a recessed flange type (flush fit hex type).

The exhaust tube is not long enough to make it to the header / manifold. A small length of mild steel pipe will have to be welded to the header or exhaust pipe.

As for the EGR side I am not sure which way to go. I don't have an LT1 egr valve so I am not sure if it will clear the distr. It looks like it will not. If someone has an LT1 EGR valve and intake lying around it would be cool if you checked.

If a TPI EGR valve is used, a simple adapter needs to be made. Probably 1/2 to 1 hour to make it.

The other concern is I am not sure if the EGR on the LT1 operates the same as the TPI EGR. This would require a PROM burn possible to flip the operation. That is another reason for going with the TPI EGR cause of simplicity.

Well, fingers are getting tired. I'll try to take some pictures and post later on if all seems to be going OK.
J
Old 05-07-2002, 09:25 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1999 Pontiac T/A Firehawk
Engine: ***'s Engine
Transmission: T56
Good to hear, actually.

I don't have much interest in making the EGR system functional, but I'm going to have to hook up something that will pass visual. If you can figure it out, that'd rock.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:20 PM

when I got my intake it looked to me like the EGR controls on the back of the manifold would fit, but I dunno yet, I will see once I have the hole for the distributor. . if I can get it to fit, all I need to do is hook the pipe coming off the back of the intake up to my old air tube?? is that how it gets the exhaiust gases?
Old 05-07-2002, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

if I can get it to fit, all I need to do is hook the pipe coming off the back of the intake up to my old air tube?? is that how it gets the exhaiust gases?
Interesting, I wonder how that would work ?

You would have to pull the diverter valve off, of course.

But it seems like that Would work. Of course.. If your going through all the trouble of putting EGR on your LT1 Intake, you probrably have to pass visual emissions.

And if you have to pass Visual emissions, you need an intact AIR system.
Old 05-07-2002, 10:56 PM
Supreme Member

You bring up a good point. Something I thinking about the other day. Do you need the emissions for an LT1 or a TPI, legally??

The engine that mine is on is going in a '73 Z-28. So it really doesn't matter to me. I am just curious how the EGR would help with gas mileage. Probably not much because it has a 244 duration @ .50. I am adding it just cause it is something else to play with.

Anyway, the EGR on the TPI is always internal to the engine. Using one of the AIR pipes is not the same. All you would be doing is pumping more air into the intake that would normal be pumped to the cat converter. I am pretty sure a person doing the visual inspection would never know the difference. To do it right you need to come off the exhaust. That is the way the LT1 does it.

In fact, if all you need is the visual. Then I would just hook the pipe to the AIR line and let it just dangle by the distr. You can probably get one bolt in the EGR valve to the intake to hold it tight. The other side will have probably a 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap. It is so hard to see back there I am pretty sure no one would notice. None of it would be functional, but it would probably pass visual.

I have my exhaust tube bolted right now after re-bending it. I am making the brackets to bolt a TPI EGR on it. There is pretty of room with this setup.

So yes, you can run an EGR system on the LT1. Just depends how bad you want it. Also, I put my Holley Stealth Ram next to the LT1 intake and looked at them. Visually be theory, the LT1 looks like it would out perform the Holley unit. Time will tell.

J
Old 05-07-2002, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

I would post a picture, but when I click browse and enter the pathname I end up with a window saying "picture can not be displayed."

Someone want to give me instructions on how to post pictures?

Thanks,
J
Old 05-08-2002, 01:04 AM
Supreme Member

Check this out tho.

If you pull the AIR hose off the part that comes out of the manifold, and remove the diverter valve, IIRC you get a nice exhuast leak at that point.

I belive he was referring tying that part of the AIR system into the egr, basically letting exhuast flow back through the system...

You get it ? hahah I wish I had a picture.

AS for the legallity of it, Im not sure just how strict they are here in Cali. not enough experiance gettgin quiestionable combo's passed.

But I think your best bet on passing without something, is to make it look like it was never there in the first place.

Hokey block off plates are bound to get you called out
Old 05-13-2002, 06:02 PM
Supreme Member

Here is a picture of the bottom of the intake.
J
Attached Thumbnails EGR system looks possible on LT1 intake-img_0016.jpg  
Old 05-13-2002, 06:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
Sounded to me like he wanted to use an exhaust manifold AIR hole tp route exhaust for the EGR. That would work fine, providing it's not too long of a tube used. Thats basically how the L98 vettes and LT1s all worked...
Old 05-13-2002, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Yes, I set mine up like how it would be on an original LT1. This picture shows the angle alum. that is welded in place to block the TPI EGR holes on the cyl. head. Not the weld on the edge of the intake at the water ports and EGR ports for correct sealing of the manifold gasket. I have since grinded out the JB weld in the intake bolt holes and have welded them up.

My camera still has the upper EGR pictures in the garage. It's raining right now. Tomorrow or later tonight I will post the upper pictures.

J
Old 05-13-2002, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

I posted the upper pictures to the "EGR fits on LT1 intake" thread.
J