Third Gen Fest '15 Discuss plans for the IL gathering set for May 22nd and 23rd in Crete, IL

Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 218 Likes on 164 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.
Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

It seems every time I SAY my car will be somewhere, or do something I invariably end up breaking it somehow!

But this time it seems my car is actually in decent running shape! It'll be nearly 6 years since the car was last there.

Pray for me.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS
Re: Hope I didn't just jinx myself.

you have to be there. My dad is building an '88 Camaro and is swapping an LT1 with B-body electronics and I want to see your car to steal ideas!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
you have to be there. My dad is building an '88 Camaro and is swapping an LT1 with B-body electronics and I want to see your car to steal ideas!
If you have your 86z there, I may crawl under it to look at the IRS. Have you gotten it dialed in yet?

My engine bay is ugly. Not tidy at all. But the wires are kept from burning, and the hoses don't burn either. But its not pretty at all, I haven't had the time to cut/splice the wires and clean it up.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 383
Transmission: TKO 600
Axle/Gears: 3.54 Dana 44 IRS

yes unless something terrible happens I'll be there in the IROC. For the street, the setup is dialed. It is neutral, stable over bumps, and the car tracks straight. The mount I made that attaches the pinion to the roll bar is a little too tight and makes noise through the cage some times, but thats a noise issue not a function issue. I'll fix it this winter when I drop the unit to change fluid. I do have my rear sway bar on it now too, but the car is so low and so stiffly sprung the street tires can't provide enough grip to really get it to roll over at all so the rear sway bar is essentially useless on the street. Once I get slicks on it and get it to an autox event or a track day, that will reveal the next weak spots in handling.

I will say, compared to my 91 Trans Am, it is very surprising how much more stable over bumps the IRS is even with as stiffly sprung as it is. If it wasn't so much work and fab, I'd put a Dana 36 IRS in my Trans Am with the softer springs front and rear. It really does settle the car down and make it very nice to drive, much like a newer car. I think that is what GM was doing with the Firefox prototype GTA that they installed a C4 IRS in. It was a test to see if they could use their existing IRS for the 4th gens when they were still indevelopment.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 1MeanZ
yes unless something terrible happens I'll be there in the IROC. For the street, the setup is dialed. It is neutral, stable over bumps, and the car tracks straight. The mount I made that attaches the pinion to the roll bar is a little too tight and makes noise through the cage some times, but thats a noise issue not a function issue. I'll fix it this winter when I drop the unit to change fluid. I do have my rear sway bar on it now too, but the car is so low and so stiffly sprung the street tires can't provide enough grip to really get it to roll over at all so the rear sway bar is essentially useless on the street. Once I get slicks on it and get it to an autox event or a track day, that will reveal the next weak spots in handling.

I will say, compared to my 91 Trans Am, it is very surprising how much more stable over bumps the IRS is even with as stiffly sprung as it is. If it wasn't so much work and fab, I'd put a Dana 36 IRS in my Trans Am with the softer springs front and rear. It really does settle the car down and make it very nice to drive, much like a newer car. I think that is what GM was doing with the Firefox prototype GTA that they installed a C4 IRS in. It was a test to see if they could use their existing IRS for the 4th gens when they were still indevelopment.
I have no fab/welding skills, but I'd love to do a IRS swap of somekind on my car.

I'd probably end up getting it in there crooked. how'd you measure it all up so the rear assembly was true with the car?