Third Gen Association of Ontario Regional message board for everyone in Southern Ontario and nearby regions.

T-top centre metal divider repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
T-top centre metal divider repair

Any proven methods to clean up this divider?Have it off the car to make it a cleaner and much easier repair.Besides the old wire brush method to clean the area,is there any product worth using like that Rust Check at CTC to stop the rust?Anybody used that POR15?Supposed to be an excellent rust stopper,can be applied right over any rusted area which then dries to a rock hard finish.Seen it in the body/restoration forums.Also when putting the weatherstripping back in how much and where is the best spots to lay your bead of adhesive for the T-tops.I have it pulled right back to the windshield pillar area now.Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 IROC 5.7 hardtop
Engine: L98
Transmission: T5 swap
Axle/Gears: Yup -- they still work
Re: T-top centre metal divider repair

Originally posted by skidoo68
Any proven methods to clean up this divider?Have it off the car to make it a cleaner and much easier repair.Besides the old wire brush method to clean the area,is there any product worth using like that Rust Check at CTC to stop the rust?Anybody used that POR15?Supposed to be an excellent rust stopper,can be applied right over any rusted area which then dries to a rock hard finish.Seen it in the body/restoration forums.Also when putting the weatherstripping back in how much and where is the best spots to lay your bead of adhesive for the T-tops.I have it pulled right back to the windshield pillar area now.Thanks for any advice.
Any chance you can take some dig pics and post them ? I think if the guys could see what you are talking about you'd get more replies.

My inclination would be to replace the divider rather than fix it. Not sure how easy it is to source this part but I know this -- when they go bad the whole interior can suffer. This happened on my '85 as well. If I couldn't replace it the POR would do, just be sure you can paint it afterwards as you won't want to lose the finish on the exterior surfaces. The Rust Check in a can is great for areas that can only be reached by creeping oil. I used it on my divider too, sofar no complaints.

I've never replaced the weather stripping but have fixed alot of it. I have always applied MAXimum adhesive anywhere it came loose just because I never wanted it to come loose again. Not much of an argument but then again I've never had to fix the same area of stripping twice.

hope this helps,
RP.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:51 PM

Thanks palric.The divider from GM is around $230.I think i can do a good enough job with the repair instead of new.If i had any doubts in myself it would be already on order.The POR15 does recommend a top coat if exposed to the sun.Also this stuff is supposed to make those corroded battery trays look great.The repair is mostly cosmetic,but i have to stop the rust first or will be doing it again or buying new.After pulling back the weatherstripping the lip or channel on the bodywhere the stripping is held in by is rusty also.Will be applying the POR there too.Well if it does'nt work for some reason then i can buy new.Can't say i did'nt try either.Ltr.

Last edited by skidoo68; 01-15-2002 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a new one from GM last spring and it cost me about $180. After I got the old one out of the car I realized I could have just cleaned up my old one. Anyway, if you have any troubles with your existing one, if it's too rusted then I can sell you mine for a fraction of what it would cost for a new one. It only has very very minor rust on it...nothing a little sand paper and some paint wouldn't fix.

As far as refinishing your existing one...I would say just use regular Tremclad and put quite a few thin coats of primer and black paint. Por 15 would work as well, but it's helluva expensive.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:21 PM

Hey IROCKER how much do you want for your divider?If yours has just the minor cosmetic rust that can be cleaned up well,i may consider it.May be the cheaper way to go rather than the POR15 method.Mine is so so already,but with some patience and time it would look good.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Just make me an offer... christopher.vagg@rbc.com
Old 01-15-2002, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 90 IROC 5.7 hardtop
Engine: L98
Transmission: T5 swap
Axle/Gears: Yup -- they still work
$230 ?!?!?

Whoa... $230 is alot cash. You can do alot of reparing for much less than $230 !

RP.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:38 PM

Do you have any pics you can put up for me so i can see what i may buy?Where is the majority of the rust,the channel,the top exposed metal when the tops are out?Where are you,i'm in Waterloo.Thanks, Mike.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Supreme Member

There is a small amount of surface rust along the spot where the weatherstriping sits, on the side of the screws closest to the centre. I don't have any pics of it. I could get some but it will take a couple days as the part is at my parents.

BTW, I'm in Brampton. Email when you get a chance.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:10 PM

Sounds to be much better shape than mine is.Would'nt mind seeing some pics of it still.Or if around $40 bucks will take it just give me your work or home address and i can get it picked up.I work for a courier co. in Mississauga,can get a driver in your area to pick it up and pay for it.Let me know,would like to work on one or the other on the weekend.Thanks,Mike.
Old 01-16-2002, 07:08 AM
Supreme Member

Email me at work Mike at the address above...I've got an idea.