Third Gen Association of Ontario Regional message board for everyone in Southern Ontario and nearby regions.

Reputable engine builders

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA
Reputable engine builders

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a good engine builder in SW Ontario. The closer to London the better. I assume most will be around Toronto.

I need a turn-key carburated LS3 built and broken in, minus the carb.

Wait till you guys see what I got up my sleeve. You're all going to think I've gone . Don't wanna spoil too much, but I'm going for something insanely unique, and I develop custom hardware and software for a living .

I will post a thread dedicated to the progress of my build once I have things planned out a bit better and I make some noteworthy progress.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 GTA, 1985 T/A
Engine: L98, LG4
Transmission: Slush-o-matic 700R
Axle/Gears: stock and stock
Re: Reputable engine builders

Call Jim at Jim's Speed Shop, he should be able to direct you to a good shop.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Car: 1987 camaro iroc
Engine: 350
Transmission: 5 speed borg warner
Axle/Gears: 3.45

A.P Motortsports,Windsor,Ont
Old 12-01-2009, 10:09 AM

Car: 1989 Pontiac Trans Am GTA

Awesome, thanks.

Plans changed a bit, unfortunately for the Trans Am. Took a look at everything I would have to do to get to where I wanted to be, and it just isn't worth it for the Trans Am. I would have to literally take everything off the car and start from scratch. So I figured I might as well just start from scratch and do my "ultimate" build on a GTM Supercar.

So, instead, I'm going to refresh the Trans Am a bit and get it rolling for the summer. Then I'll do my insane twin turbo LS3 propane powered GTM, which I'm pretty sure will be a first.

The Trans Am is in the garage now, going to get a "basic" LSX swap (probably LS1) into the car along with some custom interior work and frame bracing (partial rollcage, subframe connectors, wonderbar, etc). So I'll have a fairly kickass daily driver while I build up the GTM.

I've got a completely custom ECU that is about 50% done, along with a directly linked car computer that can do real time monitoring and tuning, along with controlling just about every function of the vehicle through a touch screen.

The new plan is to put the carputer part in the Trans Am, but I'll save the ECU for the GTM.

I'll put up a build thread once I dig into things a bit. I'm hoping I won't have any issues welding in the subframe connectors - I really don't want to get into rebuilding subframes.

EDIT:

The other deciding factor was the smog police and e-testing. I could get a 1987 frame to build off of to avoid e-testing, but I'd still have to retain stock smog equipment in case the smog police decide to take a peek. How much would it suck to have to run EGR plumbing and such on your custom build?

I'm don't even think I would need cats on a GTM (I might be wrong on that), and I certainly don't need anything else...free as a bird to do as I please.

Last edited by mikernet; 12-01-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Car: 87 T-Top GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27

On Horton beside Car Quest, there is a old machine shop. I have been told by many that they do really good work there. And I too am looking for a good shop to take my block into! Also, there is Anwser Engine Works on Fanshaw Park Rd. But I would need a builder too!