Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Scary Supra

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 11:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
you do have a point on cost there... damn they are an expensive beast

though I still would love to own one
like I will ever have the money though

what is your full list of mods?
Old 02-19-2002, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heres the specs I found on the porsche:

Vehicle Type: Model Year: 2001
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Style: Turbo Coupe
Base Price: $111,765
Price as Tested: $114,700
Drive Type: All-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Six-speed manual
Displacement (liters): 3.6
Engine Type: H6
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 415 @ 6,000
Torque (ft-lb @ rpm): 415 @ 2,700-4,600
Braking System: Four-wheel disc
Steering System: Power-assisted rack and pinion
Suspension Type (front): MacPherson-strut suspension
Suspension Type (rear): SLA multilink suspension with antiroll bar
Tire Size (front): 225/40ZR18
Tire Size (rear): 295/30ZR18
Tire Brand: Pirelli
Tire Model: P Zero
Curb Weight (lbs.): 3,395
Recommended Fuel: 93 Octane
Fuel Tank Capacity (gal): 16.9
EPA Fuel Economy (mpg): 15 City 22 Highway
Edmunds Observed (mpg): 15

Conditions for Testing: Temperature (Fahrenheit): 81
Humidity: 61%
Elevation (ft): 85
Wind: 0 mph

Performance:
0 - 30 (sec): 1.5
0 - 45 (sec): 2.9
0 - 60 (sec): 4.2
0 - 75 (sec): 6.3
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 12.7@111.0

So it looks like Id have given him arun for his money even before my lastest set of mods. and its close to 300# lighter and look 3.6 vs 3.8, AWD vs RWD, looks like this american turbo car canhang

Last edited by shrp1; 02-19-2002 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by rx7speed

what is your full list of mods?

Sorry. I will not answer that.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

oh come on
just curious cause you are one of the fe wturbo guys on the board and I love the TTA cars and kinda curious what you guys do to get those times
Old 02-19-2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by rx7speed

my car would be running fine if I changed an injector
with 171k on the car with only those things being replaced on it and only needing to have a fuel injector to get it up and running right again not bad.
with parts yes the domestic might be a little cheaper on some parts but you know I was replacing them a lot more often then on my import
on my camaro I replaced the alt 2 times, the starter 3 times, 2 batts, points 3 times, cap 3 times, plug wires once, the tranny needed to be replaced, the TC needed replaced, my 4.11 rear end was going, fly wheel needs the starter ring replaced, external voltage regulator once, carb once also bought a rebuild kit that I used on the old one, and I prolly forgot a few things
now my maverick I haven't replaced a thing and I am not going to. not worth it
but so far with most my friends the imports tend to last longer then the domestics and that can far outweight the cost of the part.
and I still say most parts for my rx-7 vs my camaro/maverick there is not that much of a difference.
only big items that cost more are the plugs. I pay a damn 5-8 bucks for the things, and the motor for me if I want to buy a rebuild can cost me around 2k+. so you have me there
oh yeah the only other thing I have to replace is the tranny and u-joint again
again this is my fault. I knew better then to run the turbo motor on a N/A driveline. and b/c of that I break stuff.
it would be like putting a 502 with all that torque behind your T5. just not a good idea
One thing to remember even though you did change A LOT of things on your camaro, theres one essential point you're missing. The Camaro is a fast car, most likely abused to atleast some point, I'm sure raced around. While your import was probably for just a nice cruise, like used as an economy car. So the more abuse a car is given, the less it will stay in one piece. I guarantee you that the Camaro was more beat on then your current import.

do you have any idea how much effort goes into building a turbo or supercharged car??
you dont just slap one on
hell mazda made a whole new motor for there turbo car.
most car makers that have both a N/A version and a turbo version have to make a new motor for the car and that is new pistons,cam,valves, intake and all.
turbo motors are more tempermental with what kind of setup they have.
things like cam overlap.lift,timing, ignition, preventing detonation and the list goes on take a lot more effort to do then just building an N/A car
why do you think there are more N/A cars out there. lot less work, R&D, and cost in the build up of a car
No, I guess I didnt know how much goes into making a turbo engine, but looking at ads to buy turbos, it looks like ya could just pop one with a little bends here and there of pipes, and boost controller and such. But the thing is you could spend a month trying to get 100HP out of an engine, or you can spend a month trying to get the turbo to give a nice 500HP. Its almost like theres more HP gain per brain fart with a turbo, if ya kno what I mean.

you make it sound right there that by adding the two more pistons that it will save time and effort rather then making more power out of a V6
and you say that is cheating
In a sense its cheating (maybe I'm just using the wrong word, maybe I'm lookin for the word backpressure.. LOL RX7), its like why study all week long for a hard test on friday and possibly get a 100, when ya could just sleep all week long get a cheat sheet, and then you're guaranteed a 100.
Kinda like why spend a month trying to get 100 HP out of your ONE cylinder engine that only produces 50HP. When you could just split that time in half and just throw another piston on it, to make your 100HP. (Theoretical)

Alright, d@mn, I keep finding another way to explain it differently so here I go... You (the 6 cylinder) studied the night before for a test, another kid never does (the 8 cylinder), and he always looks at other people's papers. You get the test back you get an 80 after all that time spent studying (time spent squeezing out HP), while the other kid got an 80 also (just by having those extra cylinders). So you spent all that time to get the same grade as the kid who cheated. (Although the kid who cheated apparently sucks hehe, shoulda got 100) Hope ya get that analogy.

would you not take the GFX from a car in the chevy/pontiac family and put them on your car or rims from one of them on your car cause you like the way they look?
Dude, its not the GFX, its the friggin bumpers, ya cant even notice the difference, its black too so its even less noticable. But just to use your GFX analogy, that like me swapping my IROC gfx for 91 Z28 gfx, sure theres a difference but hardly, it hardly makes a difference, unless of course I had no gfx to start off with.

a turbo is not always there to add peak power.
sometimes if you are making an econobox you make a small motor so you have low fuel draw but put a small turbo on there so you can move when you need to.
also how much does that car weight cause I am not sure but Iknow you dont always need to have 300-400hp to make a car go fast
His car weighs like 3400 pounds or more, its luxury, four door, auto too, with g@ytronic. If car weighed like as much as a del Sol, fine, but it weighs as much as a Crown Vic practicly.

you know we need to stop this chevy
Hehe, I dunno its fun lol

Last edited by ChevyLuva3; 02-19-2002 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:05 AM

And to add to my comments about sqeezing more HP out of small engines... I love how honda dedicates themselves to their 4 cylinders. I mean in the new Acura RSX they can squeeze out 200 or so HP that AMAZING, but it produces it at practicly redline, so you wont see much time using that power. But I just find it amazing, I mean they got V-tech this and V-that, all these different things on it, making it awesome. But the thing is they just don't know when to throw in those pistons. I would love to see honda take all their time they put into their 4 cylinder engines and put it into a nice 8 cylinder, could probably produce around 400 plus, almost like the new Corvettes. I'm not saying I'll drive a honda, I'd still take my IROC over an NSX anyday, call me crazy go ahead. But I just feel good driving my american car, knowing I'm a part of Chevy, a part of tried and true automobile heritage. I guess, all I can say is I just luv Chevy .
Old 02-20-2002, 12:05 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by ChevyLuva3

One thing to remember even though you did change A LOT of things on your camaro, theres one essential point you're missing. The Camaro is a fast car, most likely abused to atleast some point, I'm sure raced around. While your import was probably for just a nice cruise, like used as an economy car. So the more abuse a car is given, the less it will stay in one piece. I guarantee you that the Camaro was more beat on then your current import.
not even close
my RX-7 gets an auto-x race each week
prolly hits the drag strip least once a month
get in street racing all the time.
also take it out to the twisties almost once to twice a week
the car has had more 6000rpm clutch dumps then I can even count.
the person who owned it before me I know was hard as **** on the car also
the camaro for the most part the whole time I owned it I did very little with it
I got in a few street race but did not abuse the thing like my RX-7
and when my mom owned the camaro before I did she only raced it every now and then also

No, I guess I didnt know how much goes into making a turbo engine, but looking at ads to buy turbos, it looks like ya could just pop one with a little bends here and there of pipes, and boost controller and such. But the thing is you could spend a month trying to get 100HP out of an engine, or you can spend a month trying to get the turbo to give a nice 500HP. Its almost like theres more HP gain per brain fart with a turbo, if ya kno what I mean.
you can buy a turbo and bolt it on. but you will not get a very good gain by doing so
In a sense its cheating (maybe I'm just using the wrong word, maybe I'm lookin for the word backpressure.. LOL RX7), its like why study all week long for a hard test on friday and possibly get a 100, when ya could just sleep all week long get a cheat sheet, and then you're guaranteed a 100.
Kinda like why spend a month trying to get 100 HP out of your ONE cylinder engine that only produces 50HP. When you could just split that time in half and just throw another piston on it, to make your 100HP. (Theoretical)

Alright, d@mn, I keep finding another way to explain it differently so here I go... You (the 6 cylinder) studied the night before for a test, another kid never does (the 8 cylinder), and he always looks at other people's papers. You get the test back you get an 80 after all that time spent studying (time spent squeezing out HP), while the other kid got an 80 also (just by having those extra cylinders). So you spent all that time to get the same grade as the kid who cheated. (Although the kid who cheated apparently sucks hehe, shoulda got 100) Hope ya get that analogy.
no dont go back to the backpressure post
that killed way too many of my brain cells

and I think what I was trying to get at is (though I think I read it wrong) you were saying that using a V6 with a turbo to gain power is cheating, and by adding the two cyl to get power is not cheating

my fault

Dude, its not the GFX, its the friggin bumpers, ya cant even notice the difference, its black too so its even less noticable. But just to use your GFX analogy, that like me swapping my IROC gfx for 91 Z28 gfx, sure theres a difference but hardly, it hardly makes a difference, unless of course I had no gfx to start off with.
hey every little bit helps
I want to switch the bumper from a 89-91 rx7 to my car
big difference no
but still does look a little better

and your right this is fun when you have nothing else to do and my other home is closed right now
Old 02-20-2002, 12:50 AM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts
Car: 240sx
Engine: whatever works
Transmission: 4l80e this year
Axle/Gears: 3.512
Since he wants a list of mods for a stock 350 - converted to a 12 second car here goes, this is my basic list of crap Ive added, not everything little thing just the expensive crap...:
Car purchased: 1983 Iroc Z-28
Already had: 9 Bolt Rear end, Posi
350 CID engine, all stock except Performer RPM intake Holley Carb.
4-Speed Borg Warner T-10 Tranny
Misc. Rigged Crap.
Car as it sits now:
Heavilly modified 355, Stock-Rebuilt Bottom end, 9:1 Compression.
Cost: $500.00 block/machine work (.030 over)
Lunati Blower Cam 244/254 @ .050 .566 Lift (1.6:1 rocker)
Cost: $210.00
Dual Fan setup for stock size radiator
Cost: $200.00
B&M 144 Blower (6-7 PSI boost Pulley) used (came with intake and Holley 750 Blower Carb retail $2199.00 for blower, $700.00 for carb)
Cost: $875.00 + $35.00 for oil and belts and bolts
Gear drive timing chain + cam change kit + Pushrods + lifters
$170.00
1.6:1 Crane Rockers + stud girdle used
$70.00
Entire Transmission Replacment, from Manual to Automatic:
Th350 Tranny + 3500 Stall converter + Tranny Cooler + B&M megashifter + Necessary tubes and wires and crap and dripstick and Driveshaft mods + yolk mods etc...
$1300.00
Aluminum Performer RPM heads Used
$550.00 + Porting = $640.00
Original Cost for car:
$1800.00

Total cost for car, Running high 11's on stock Rims / Tire size:
$5790.00

Of course I left out the junkyard runs for a console and the Exhaust which is still needing finishing, but what I listed is basically everything that I have done. The stock radiator is still there, stock interior except the new shifter / guages, the suspension was done perfect for racing before i got the car, the Cowl hood was on it when i got it too. The body I havnt touched, stock paint / look. the engine bay Ive removed stuff like A/C... and mostly dressed it up whenever possible. It came with the pretty Chrome valve covers and open element. The parts above cover the entire engine, I listed everything from bottom end to every part in the top end, including the blower. the drivetrain is simple, i listed the cost for the tranny and everything around it, and as ive said the 9-bolt posi came with the car. And there you have it, an 11 second camaro for under $6000.00
I've done all the work myself, except the obvious (driveshaft length changes, block machine work)
and im quite happy to this day.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by ChevyLuva3
And to add to my comments about sqeezing more HP out of small engines... I love how honda dedicates themselves to their 4 cylinders. I mean in the new Acura RSX they can squeeze out 200 or so HP that AMAZING, but it produces it at practicly redline, so you wont see much time using that power. But I just find it amazing, I mean they got V-tech this and V-that, all these different things on it, making it awesome. But the thing is they just don't know when to throw in those pistons. I would love to see honda take all their time they put into their 4 cylinder engines and put it into a nice 8 cylinder, could probably produce around 400 plus, almost like the new Corvettes. I'm not saying I'll drive a honda, I'd still take my IROC over an NSX anyday, call me crazy go ahead. But I just feel good driving my american car, knowing I'm a part of Chevy, a part of tried and true automobile heritage. I guess, all I can say is I just luv Chevy .
oh yeah the NSX is a V6
they can throw in the extra 2 cyl yes
but the car was made for road racing
the extra weight would make the car have a slower turn in which is one thing the mid engine car is good for
also in japan I think they have a heavy *** tax for a 8 cyl car
Old 02-20-2002, 01:11 AM
Supreme Member

damn that's not that bad
you and I have spent about the same.
though I haven't bought the tranny/driveline I need
Old 02-20-2002, 03:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC Vert
Engine: 305 Tpi
Transmission: T5 Manual
You guys have far too much time on your hands
Old 02-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

How about $3000 for a stang, $500 for the Nitrous kit, $40 for K&N, $250 for cat-back, $85 for pulleys, $170 for driveshaft, $350 for slicks, $150 for gears, $35 for nitrous fill.
Hey thats mid 11s for a little over $4500, and I'm pretty sure you could find a decent Stang for $2000, and then you have $3500 and mid 11s.

I have too much time on my hands now that theres a break in school!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by 5.0mustang
and I'm pretty sure you could find a decent Stang for $2000, and then you have $3500 and mid 11s.

I have too much time on my hands now that theres a break in school!!!
Not anywhere close to me, Ive been trying to find one for a little bit and you cant find a decent one for less than 3000-3500!!!! and Im talking 87-93 models yrs.!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2002, 12:57 PM
Nic
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Ford Mustang
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: T5
I only paid $2600 for my convertible in perfect running condition...but just sold it for $3000 with a wasted transmission and dissassembled interior

And I slept like a baby last night
Old 02-20-2002, 10:16 PM
Supreme Member

I've seen a few for 2000-4500 around me, and there is even an 87 GT that needs tranny work for 800. There are TONS of Foxstangs up here in New England, for cheap.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by 85_ZED28
i hate all imports, where were they in the 60's and 70's?

at least our american cars have some history!
hmmm...this is kinda a hybrid...a guy named Darius...his ride....1970 Datsun(Later Nissan) 240Z...has a little 383 in in...oh yeah...tuned port, and supercharged....made around 580 horse...at the wheels, and comparable torque....transferred through a T-56...don't know what it ran, but he and his buddies are professional bike fellas...and there's a video of it outrunning a R-1 on the street, not by a whole lot, barely edges it out, but hey, that's smokin! check out www.taner.net down a lot, lots of traffic, but worth it if you get in
Old 02-21-2002, 10:27 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 88 IROC-Z/00 GTP/05 VUE Redline
Engine: LB9 305/3800 SC/3.5 SOHC V-TEC
Transmission: A4/A4/A5
Originally posted by 5.0mustang
I've seen a few for 2000-4500 around me, and there is even an 87 GT that needs tranny work for 800. There are TONS of Foxstangs up here in New England, for cheap.
That's for sure up here in new england everyone and their brother has a fox body or had a fox body at one time. IT's all I see on the roads. But that's not a bad thing some of them are really nice cars.