Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Street Racers, Read This...>>

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 10:57 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
Street Racers, Read This...>>

I hope it makes you think twice:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...eadlines-local

Last edited by Willie; 12-21-2001 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: stock L03
Transmission: auto
I will think twice next time I am picking on someone to race. That is one of the reasons when I race someone I never break 60 or 70 MPH. You can usually tell who is going to win by then (not my TBI most of the time). Really sad story man .
Old 12-21-2001, 11:24 PM
Nic
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Ford Mustang
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: T5
Truly an unfortunate incident.

Here's another article released by the AP that was posted on the corral earlier about the incident.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Suspect in drag race rear-ends car, own mother killed

Associated Press
Posted December 20 2001, 3:51 PM EST

DONA VISTA -- The drivers in the two Ford Mustangs raced each other down the small-Central Florida town highway at speeds well over 100 mph. One, Dwight Samples, had owned his car for less than two weeks.

Suddenly, a slower-moving car appeared ahead, out of nowhere. Unable to swerve, Samples plowed into the back of the car, killing the two women inside.

A few minutes later, Samples learned that the women were his mother, Diane Samples, 45, and her friend, Vivian Green, 72. They had been driving around to look at Christmas lights.

``It's bizarre. His mom was doing an act of kindness taking this lady around to see Christmas lights,'' Lt. Chuck Williams, a spokesman for the Florida Highway Patrol, said of the late Wednesday accident. ``You think the probabilities for a phenomenon like this are, wow.''

After the accident on State Road 19 north of Eustis, about 45 miles northwest of Orlando, witnesses said Dwight Samples went to the other car and realized the driver was his mother. He asked arriving emergency workers to help her instead of him.

Samples, 21, was airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center with wounds suffered when his head went through the Mustang's windshield. He underwent surgery and was in stable condition Thursday, said hospital spokesman Joe Brown.

A decision on whether to charge Samples won't be made until after the crash investigation is completed in a few days, Williams said. A toxicology test was given to Samples, but there is no indication that he was under the influence.

Troopers were searching for the driver of the other Mustang.

Florida Highway Patrol records show Samples had been stopped for speeding four times in the past four years, including once for driving 85 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Family members didn't want to talk to reporters, but a neighbor at the Golden Estates Mobile Home Park where Diane Samples lived said the mother and son were very close. Dwight Samples lived in a separate trailer in the same park, located behind the sprawling Golden Gem Growers citrus plant in Umatilla, as did Diane Samples' brother, sister, two nieces and a grandniece.

Dwight Samples frequently was over at his mother's trailer for meals and to do his laundry.

``They were very, very close,'' said neighbor Susan Schmidt. ``This poor kid is probably going through hell right now.''

Diane Samples, a health-care aide, always stopped to chat with neighbors in the tight-knit park of 60 trailers as she pulled along her grandniece in a wagon, Schmidt said.

``It was a 1-in-a-trillion thing,'' she said of the accident.
Old 12-22-2001, 11:40 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: Chrysler 300c
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Transmission: 5spd auto
Axle/Gears: 2.89
i am reopening this i think it needs to be seen and commented on
Old 12-23-2001, 12:10 AM
Supreme Member

the SCCA has a moto that a lot of the regions put on their vehicles, "race on the track, not on the street".
i know form a long life of hot rodding, and even street racing in my younger years, that the track is the only place that proves anything. there are timers and timeslips that tell the story. it eliminates all excuses as to who left too soon or who really won, it is all there on paper.
i learned my lesson about street racing late one night on the streets of philly. i saw a car roll really bad, i knew the guy was hurt. the only thing everyone there did was run because they knew the wreck woudl attract attention. next day i read in the paper that th eguy was dead along with a girl taht we never saw on the side of the street.
at eth track there are no victims and there is proper medical care if something does go wrong.
i know not everyone is as lucky as i am, there are 5 tracks within a 2hour drive of my house. 2 of them host nhra national events. but i still think that the track is the only way to get a "final" answer that no one can argue who is faster.

later
tim
Old 12-23-2001, 12:35 AM

I think everyone needs to see this link! I work as a paramedic near seattle and see this stuff at work. It's not something you see every day or even on a monthly basis, however, when you do see it up close and personal . It really changes the way you look as the street vs strip.
Old 12-23-2001, 12:55 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: Chrysler 300c
Engine: 5.7L Hemi
Transmission: 5spd auto
Axle/Gears: 2.89
I agree there is a time and a place for everything. Up here we have one track over an hour and a half away but we have a lot of back roads and industrial areas that are deserted late at night so that is where all the racing takes place. We also have a Drag racing task force which will pull you over of your car looks or sounds fast and find an excuse to ticket you they also have a helicopter to follow the runs to the location. The easy thing to do would be for the city to build a track here and they would keep all the profit. The city would make a killing and keep a lot of racing off the street.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:46 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 Z28 Convertible
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 5-speed
When I was in my teens and twenties, I too fell victim to the rush one feels when "picked on". And I must say that I used to street race on occasion. But as I've gotten older, I realize that it's not always the other guy, that the, "It won't happen to me" attitude is a complete fallacy. I have not street raced in almost 20 years. So today when I'm "picked on", my response is to yell at the other guy, "See you at the track on Friday night and make sure you bring a bundle of cash."

Willie
Old 12-23-2001, 09:53 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350tpi comming soon!
Transmission: fixed the 700r4 again!
im not saying i dont fall victim to an ocasional street race, but i would never be going 120mph on any street first, and second i am always looking at other traffic and the rest of the area around before even thinking about it.
Old 12-23-2001, 01:27 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z
Engine: Carbed 355
Transmission: TH-350
It really makes me sad to see this. When i first got my car the first thing i wanted to do was street race but my friend and his girlfriend died in a crash when he was going to fast and wrapped it around a telephone pole. after that i still will not street race and when i am offered i will just tell them that if you have a nice car drive it you have nothing to prove by messing up your life or someone elses. Then i get called a p***y but i know if they really want to race they meet me at the track, where it is much safer for other people... i hope this teaches some people somthing before they have to go through what i did.
Old 12-23-2001, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by BG87z
Then i get called a p***y but i know if they really want to race they meet me at the track
that is the perfect situation for a guy with a night job like mine
i have a second job bussing tables in a restaurant that i work 5nights a week. i paid cash every night befoire i leave work.
so what i like to do is keep a bundle of 20's in my pocket, not in my wallet. they call me a ***** and i open up my knot and ask them if they wanna back up there words wtih some cash at the track. funny, none of them have ever shown up at the track
my friends and i call guys that won't go tot he track bitches, it is a fun thing to challenge a guy and call him a bitch in front of his friends. either way he is screwed, if he shows at the digs he will lose money and if he doesn't go all his friends know he is a punk.

later
tim
Old 12-24-2001, 12:09 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI (L98)
Transmission: 700RJunk
She was probably driving less than half the speed of her son's Mustang, which friends say she had given to him just days ago as a Christmas gift.
You see the correlation. Another spoiled brat who doesn't respect his car and doesn't know responsibility because mommy and daddy buy him everything. I hope they throw his dumb *** behind bars for a long time...
Old 12-24-2001, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
unable to swerve???

unable to brake or steer around!?? impossible!! sure you might roll your own car and hit some trees and even kill yourself. but that's a common courtosy to other drivers ya' know? why should anyone be racing in traffic anyways and around pedestrians?? street racing will always be around because it's illeagal and fun......anything deadly is fun in my experiences,and most states frown upon organized amature racing as well. I hope everyone here understands physics and how to throw your car out of harms way should someone unexpectedly cut you off or even purposely try to interfere with a race!! I will slide my car off the road or even hit things before getting any kind of contact with other drivers.....actually I have before. if you're racing,you're breaking the law,you're the A$$hole,kill yourself not inoccent people.....end of story.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:02 PM

Car: 1989 Formula 350 WS6
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700-R4 2600 stall
junkyarddog has a point. I won't race on populated streets, might jack around at a stoplight but when one pulls out on the other... it's over. Don't even get into third gear.. sometimes I back out at the end of first.

We've got a couple access roads down here in Ft.Worth that are empty and it's across a ditch and uphill to the highway. I'll take somebody down there for a race. Plus we can get it out of the stop sign and about 3/8 mile down it shuts to one lane for the offcoming traffic. It's a really good spot and the local fuzz don't mind to bad because we'll only hurt ourselves. Could be alot worse.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:58 PM

Car: 1991 Z28 - 2000 Z28
Engine: L98 - LS4
Transmission: 700R4 - 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23's - 3.73's
That news story was on every channel here in FL. Truly a sad thing to happen so close to X-Mas.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:40 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '02 Rodeo
Engine: 3.2 V6 DOHC
Transmission: 5spd
Axle/Gears: 4.30 Dana 44 Rear 10 bolt front
there is also some pictures on hondahookup.com in the kills section (kinda like our forum here)
if its still on there, its a pretty gruesome reminder of what can happen
be safe
Old 12-27-2001, 02:06 PM

Car: 1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 2dr Coupe
Engine: 403 Olds v8, bored .030 over
Transmission: 350 T.H. 3A, shift kit
The only time I come anywhere near 100 is when I absolutely have to. People who speed up when you pass- that kind of thing. The truth is they could not hurt him by throwing him in jail. And by now, he probably doesn't care what they do to him. But how could he not see the car in front of him?