Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Damn Type-R Integras

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2001, 01:36 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 IROC-Z
Engine: L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Damn Type-R Integras

ARRRRRRGGGGGGGGG i got whacked by a damn Type-R tonight. Got me for $50. damn, i went into it all confident that my 13 second IROC would easily take out a close to stock NA integra. Forgot to take into account the water that was lightly falling from the sky. i spun hard and he won, guess thats all there really is to it. damn damn damn. well at least i built up his confidence so i can go back when its dry out and take him for $100. and next time, the bottle is in the car just in case
Old 09-09-2001, 01:53 AM

haha, a type r, rice mobile. Damn that sux, i havent taced one of them yet.
Old 09-09-2001, 02:13 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 427 SBC
Transmission: ProBuilt 700R4
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt / 3.73 TrueTrac
I dont know squat about imports. Whats a type R?

------------------
1988 Jet Black IROC
5.7L W/ 64000 miles
Flowmaster Exhaust
Fully Loaded
------------------

My IROC
Old 09-09-2001, 02:46 AM

A type R is a SLOW import, 190hp if I'm not mistaken, yea racing in the rain is hard with our rear wheel drive cars, don't ever do it again for your safety and because you can lose $50!!

------------------
1990 G92 5spd LB9 - 3.42 80,000 miles

Accel Ignition/Wires (8.8mm), Advanced Timing, TB Bypass, Ported and Gasket Matched Plenum, Synthetic Motor Oil, 160 Thermo, TPIS Airfoil, K&N Air Filters, Centerforce I Pressure Plate and Clutch, Edelbrock TES Headers, Dual Cats, Edelbrock RPM Series Catback, Homemade Ram Air, Bosch +4 Platinum Plugs

14.4 @ 94mph w/2.0622 60ft (w/o headers and catback)

14.426 @ 96.19mph w/2.167 60ft(w/headers and catback)

Also newly modded w/o track times:

Holley AFPR, Underdrive Pulleys, KYB Shocks and Struts, Crane Ignition
Old 09-09-2001, 03:27 AM

RWD naturally has more grip for launch than a FWD rain or dry...so of you hadnt spun, the whole way would've been yours.

BTW, the type-r is the fastest ***** (well four banger FWD) that acura has made. they run about 15 flat wid a good driver. motor trend has it for 14.8. I've driven one, and it's got some realy good high end.

------------------
85 2.8L Sport Coupe 5-speed.
Mods: Hpertech chip and powerstat, MSD 6A-L, Crane fireball coil, Accel Cap and Rotor, Dynomax hi-flow cat and catback system with a dynomax magnum race bullet muffler on the i-pipe, K&N filterchargers, Gutted Air Boxes, 8mm Wires, Eibach Sportlines and Tokiko springs/shocks setup, Global west sub frames, Suspension techniqs front and rear sway bars, and good ole 88 IROC wheels with Kumo Ecstas on em!
"It's not the ricers, it's those damn V8's!"

Wins: 2000 V6 Accord, 69 302 Mustang, 2000 Auto VR6 Jetta, 89 Toyota MR2, 90 Civic Si, 76 350 Camaro, 2000 3.8 5-speed Camaro, ~68 Chevelle 350, 92 CRX Si.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

a Type-R is the top level Acura Integra. FWD 4 banger 6 speed w/190hp. a totally ***** car to lose to unfortunitly. ah well maybe i can hustle him for $100 next time its dry.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:40 PM

Or maybe it was one of those people who put the type r sticker on there car thinking its cool. That would really sux, casue that means its evn a slower car.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:49 PM

Integra Type R's weigh about 2550-2600 lbs, they have a 5-speed with a limited slip differential, and they have a 1.8 liter four cylinder engine with 195 hp and an 8000 rpm redline from the factory.

In my experience, it's tougher to get a fwd to hook up than a rwd...the faster you are, the tougher it is to get any traction...all the weight of the car transfers to the rear wheels, which are doing nothing except keeping the tail-end of the car from dragging along on the ground. Weight transfer on a fwd is a real b|tch...

SPOOM
Old 09-10-2001, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

fortunitly it was a real type-R the kid got it shipped in from Conneticut.

as for the whole fwd thing hooking, maybe for a highly modified racer its harder to hook FWD then rear, but we are talking about a 195hp stock FWD car vs a 300hp RWD car here. my tires break loose at a 15mph roll when i gun it on the dry. take a guess whos gona have a harder time hooking on a wet road.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1989 Iroc Z L98
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AntiVTEC:
RWD naturally has more grip for launch than a FWD rain or dry...so of you hadnt spun, the whole way would've been yours.

</font>
lol dont tell lies, rwd has far worse traction than fwd. rwd cars can be faster, thats the difference. all their weight is over the drive wheels, ours isnt.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:35 AM

Ah yes, but FWD cars have less drivetrain loss than us.

Traction would be easier if they would just take those rediculous huge rear-spoilers off their FWD cars.

Plus a little 4-banger isn't going to weigh as much as our cast-iron v8s. Watch out on RPMs though. High RPM power is graceful.

I'm building a DZ-302 replica for the 'bird. Those things could rev easily to 9 grand! What do you think of a DZ mated to a T56, into a Ford 9"? I think some people would like to do it; it's different, and 9 grand could scare the crap out of people on the street. (Imitates 9k V8 whining. )

-ws6formula-

Old 09-10-2001, 01:43 AM

"as for the whole fwd thing hooking, maybe for a highly modified racer its harder to hook FWD then rear, but we are talking about a 195hp stock FWD car vs a 300hp RWD car here. my tires break loose at a 15mph roll when i gun it on the dry. take a guess whos gona have a harder time hooking on a wet road."

Alright...let's talk about fwd and traction problems!!! I don't have a Type R, but I'll talk about my ugly P.O.S. instead...even though it's a bit quicker. It's not "highly modified" though...just the cheapo basics.

My tires break loose anytime at all in 1st gear...seriously, anytime...just punch it and it breaks loose as soon as I get boost...in 2nd gear if I punch it hard, as soon as the turbo kicks in...bam...more wheelspin.

With my 225's (instead of the 205's) it's not QUITE as bad, but you still can't go full throttle in 1st without breaking loose, and fast shifts to second will have you spinning until 50 or so, if that's what you want.

There's a run on the video I posted earlier this week where I'm racing against a 2000 Mustang GT and I bogged the launch...I got something like a horrible 2.6 60 foot...totally garbage driving from me on that run...but if you watch the video, you'll see me come off the line half-assed, the turbo spools after I'm about 30-40 feet off of the line, and you hear the tires go SCREEEEEEEEECH through the top of 1st, then you hear them break loose again momentarily on the 1-2 shift when I finally get some control over the wheelspin and my right foot. This is on a dry track, mind you, with my tire pressures slightly lowered up front to try to improve the traction!

In the rain, this is all MUCH worse.

I'm not saying that you don't have any problems with traction, because I'm sure that with that much power, you do...but fwd's with turbo and without a LSD are tricky, too...my torque curve isn't flat like most V8's...it all comes on at once at 2500-3000 rpms and then it holds until 6500 or so. At least when YOU are spinning, the car is trying to transfer weight over the wheels that are actually driving the car...!

"lol dont tell lies, rwd has far worse traction than fwd. rwd cars can be faster, thats the difference. all their weight is over the drive wheels, ours isnt."

If that's the case, then why are 99% of racecars RWD??? Weight transfer weight transer weight transfer!!!

RWD burnouts are cool. FWD burnouts, on the other hand, are not.

SPOOM

[This message has been edited by SPOOM (edited September 09, 2001).]
Old 09-10-2001, 11:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44
This post reminds me of a recent discovery of mine that was pretty much intuitive... When I got my car I looked closely at the rear spoiler and found that it is indeed shaped like an airplane wing only upside down, which at high speeds will definitely pull the rear end down to the ground... Anyhow, upon closer inspection of a Honda Accord a friend of my mom owns... the stock spoiler is shaped like an airplane wing also, but it was right side up which would infact push the front of the car down... if these damned ricers stuck with the classier less gaudy stock spoilers, I bet they would notice a difference however slight it may be... what a bunch of morons!

------------------
1984 Firebird - Daily driver, 305 LG4, T5 - Hurst short shifter, Edelbrock 600 CFM Performer Carb - Edelbrock Pro-Flow air filter, gutted cat, IROC 16x8 Wheels, Goodyear P215/60/R16, AIWA bargain basement (from Sears of course) CD player, Fuzzy dice, Eight-ball shift ****
Check out my ride here $1600!! Bye Bye on board computer!

First Kill: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon (1 person vs me with 2 passengers)
Old 09-10-2001, 12:45 PM
Supreme Member

ok, maybe with a turbo car i can see tire spin. my sister has a AWD TSI talon. the hit on that when its floored obviously isnt enough to come close to breaking the tires loose, even in the rain, but i can see a high boost FWD car having problems when the turbo hits. same as my car when i spray. anytime you have a power adder that hits really quick, obviously your gona have traction problems. my point in all this was just to prove that the Type-R had an easier time hooking then i did. i really dont think anyone with a stock FWD NA 4 banger has ever had a problem hooking up.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:09 PM

Thank you for that clear up spoom because I sure as heck dont see how a FWD has more traction than RWD.

Why dont you just stay off the gas and learn how to control the spin? The easiest way to make your car faster is learn how to drive it. Late.
Old 09-10-2001, 01:30 PM

"Why dont you just stay off the gas and learn how to control the spin? The easiest way to make your car faster is learn how to drive it. Late."

Well, when the car was bone stock and on 205/55/16's, I was pulling 2.2 60 foot times, which is pretty decent for a fwd on street tires.

After the K&N, exhaust, and a few free mods, the best I'm pulling off by 60 ft are 2.4's and an occassional 2.3, and this is on 225/45/17's. My trap speeds in the 1/8th did go up 8mph, though, so the power is definitely improved.

The reason my 60 foots are WORSE is because the turbo comes on so much harder now, it's hard to keep everything planted. If it came on smoothly, it would be easier to manage. Plus, if you lift off of the throttle, you lose some of your boost pressure, and you might bog. Ideally, you just keep on the throttle the whole time and just slip the hell out of the clutch, so that your tires don't break loose. My clutch doesn't like this anymore, though, and it's easier to just let the clutch fully engage and try to ride it out.

I need a new clutch, but you are right, I definitely do need more practice, too.

SPOOM
Old 09-10-2001, 06:16 PM

ahhh yes chill, the stupid spoiler the ricers out on there cars that actually hurt performance. I really cant stand the all show and no go people. I get alot of that were I am. They put a sticker on there car that says vtec and they tell everyone there car realy has one. Then they add the giant exhaust, the ground effect, clear headlights, and neons. And expect there car to be faster than anyone elses. Ive put alot of them in there place, but they have such bad attitudes.
Old 09-10-2001, 11:00 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AntiVTEC:

</font>
hmm front wheel drive will always have better traction simply because the weight is on the wheels. They can fly through snow, rain... I used to have a 76 camaro and a 86 reliant K car at the same time. every winter I would get the camaro stuck at least once and would never get that reliant stuck and I tried too!.
Old 09-11-2001, 12:17 AM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 454
Transmission: Th400
Axle/Gears: 3.73
FWD has more weight on the drive wheels equalling more traction for takeoff on a slick road or while at a steady speed on a slick road. However a RWD car will have more weight on the rear wheels when taking off once the tires start hooking up, as on a dry road with good tires, because weight will transfer to the rear, sometimes up to 100% of the weight ie a wheelie. A FWD cars weight will also transfer to the rear if it is accelerating hard and will lessen the amount of weight on the drive tires. Usually it isn't enough to break the tires loose since they don't have much power.

------------------
1990 formula 350 tpi dual cat auto 9 bolt posi 3.27 ratio
Old 09-11-2001, 06:48 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
Why the hell would you race anyone, especially for money, in the rain? I can't even go past 1/3 throttle if the road is even slightly wet without spinning forever. I can't even roll into it softly, I'll break em loose at the top of 1st or into 2nd which gets a little scary. You can forget a real standing start all out race. Pointless.

Wait for dry roads and he'll probably be yours. I'm assuming you're not a dimwit and can launch/drive your car decently, although if this post is any indication you still may be in trouble come race time...

------------------
Ray87Z
-Vortec headed 350.
86 IROC w/ a cammed 305 TPI.
Formerly Ray86IROC.
www.inter-scape.com/Ray

[This message has been edited by Ray87Z (edited September 11, 2001).]