Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

TS8000 Racing Simulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
TS8000 Racing Simulator

Jay Leno test the Tag Systems TS8000 Racing Simulator

(1st page below)

I just spent the afternoon driving at an average speed of 125 mph around city streets, mountain roads, and finally at a racetrack in my Corvette Z06. No, I haven't been trying to get arrested. I have a new toy in my garage, a giant driving simulator where you drive your car as fast as you like without leaving the garage. It's called the Tag Systems TS8000.

It's Australian, but it has just launched here in the States. So they asked if they could set it up in my garage. I was a bit skeptical. I said, why don't I just take my own car out and drive it? They said, Well, you can drive as fast as you want on any racecourse or street that you want in any kind of weather conditions.

Click to view GallerySo I admit I had to get talked into it, but I have to get talked into everything, whether it's e-mail or the iPad or whatever. But eventually I said yes and next thing I know they're at the shop.

It didn't take long to set up. It's a mobile system and takes maybe half a day to install. You open the door, pull in and, depending on the car, there are some universal brackets that fit on the rear axle. It works on a rolling road. The front wheels go on some pads that turn with the wheel. You turn off the traction control, start the car, and off you go.

Click to view GalleryThe realism is amazing. The car's under load and sounds exactly as the car would sound at 150 miles an hour. There are fans that simulate whatever speed you're driving and the exhaust is extracted out the back through big hoses.

It's a bit alarming when I am driving and I look at the speedometer and it says 150 and the tach is reading 6000 and I'm in sixth gear and I look over and there's a guy standing right next to me -- AAHH! It actually grabs you that much. It's fun because you're actually driving the car. The only thing you don't get is G-force, obviously. But as you climb a hill and the hill drops off, it's like you're airborne. It's like, JEEZ! It's amazing.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...tor/index.html
Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1994 Z28
Engine: 355 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: TS8000 Racing Simulator

Interesting concept. It's kinda pointless though. They still aren't simulating any turning or acceleration G's which will affect how you steer or how hard you apply the brakes. Using it as a training simulator seems like a stupid idea; it should be nothing more than a fancy video game.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 84 trans am
Engine: 350 bored .020 over
Transmission: TH350 w/ stage 2 B&M shift kit
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt/3.27
Re: TS8000 Racing Simulator

Cool concept but nothing can be the same as the real thing. This probably won't stop many people from racing though. You put the same wear and tear on your car and you don't get the G forces etc. As long as there are cars people will race them illegally. One thing I think would fix illegal racing and excessive speeding is a U.S. version of the autobahn that stretches across the country.