Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Z28 vs Mustang Saleen

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1984 Camaro 'Vert
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700R4
Z28 vs Mustang Saleen

Ok, so I posted a story about my old Z28 cleaning up a civic with the help of a Corvette, so here goes another one from my childhood:

There is this funky interstate ramp near town that is 2 lanes onto the interstate. Its a favorite place for racing, as you can hit some pretty crazy speeds with no stoplights getting in your way. I don't remember how it got set up, but I ended up against what I thought was a shiny Mustang GT with a lot of aftermarket parts bolted on.

Well we take off, and I'm surprised to see the mustang hanging with me in the first few feet, as GT's usually didn't have enough especially off the line for that modded Z28. As he starts to pass me, I see the rear bumper that says "Saleen" on it, and I think "oh ****!"

The only thing I notice, is that while he's dusting me as he runs through a gear, his shifts seem really sloppy, and I am catching up with him as he's between gears. You can hear the motor hit high revs, then it hangs for a while, then finally catches the next gear. I assume that this has gotta be a manual transmission, so I figure I've got a shot if the driver can't handle it.

Sure enough, as he tries to get into 5th gear (don't ask how fast we were going at this point, it was bad.) I see the Mustang, which had been quite a bit ahead of me, suddenly take a nosedive as if he'd slammed on the brakes. The motor bounced violently off the rev limiter before shutting down, and a cloud of smoke puffs up from the hood. I don't even have time to react as I rip by him, and I see him pulling over to the side of the interstate. I can only assume by the sights and sounds he found himself in a much lower gear than 5th.

Moral of the story? If you get a fast car, a manual transmission, and want to race, try learning to shift first.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 04 Jetta
Engine: 1.8t AWP
Transmission: 5spd
Re: Z28 vs Mustang Saleen

lol what a loser he prolly threw it to 3 instead. the worst i did was in my dads mustang was driving and threw it from 2nd to 5th. but that would suck those things arent cheap i could imagine what that bill looked like