Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Car vs. Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:17 PM
stu
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StreetRoc85 350
Well no offense, but would you stake your v8 against my 4cyl? Those bikes are literally about 1400lbs. My gsxr is 360 soaking wet. Im not trying to talk up a 4 banger, im just saying that those hot rod bikes are show items....
Since when has power to weight ratios or power application ever mattered? I think you guys are missing something here.

V8 is BIGGER than V4, so the V8 is faster. Plus, since the V8 is BIGGER it has way more potential. Throw $150,000 at each bike and see which one is faster then!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:41 PM

Car: Red 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0L 305 TBI
Since when has power to weight ratios or power application ever mattered? I think you guys are missing something here.

Your joking right?
Old 07-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
Originally Posted by okmaro

Your joking right?
you need to stick around a little longer and you miight understand
Old 07-06-2006, 08:34 PM
stu
Supreme Member

Either way, even if the Jap bike is faster, it will only be for a small amount of time until I can get my headers for my 502 bike.

Plus, the V8 bike is American. It looks better, is built better (no cheap plastic motors) and sounds better. Even if the V8 bike is a little behind the Jap bike, it will sound like it is ahead because the motor sounds so much better. A Hyabusa is unpatriotic and the rider will find that no matter what happens in the race, he'll lose in the long run when he goes to hell for buying foreign.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:54 PM

I agree with your buying american statement.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 350 hsr
Transmission: 700R4(blown)
Axle/Gears: 3:73
idont have a working bike yet{ 1980 midnight speacail} all broken down right now but what the hell? whats rong with non american bike or other ****? hu ? americans should learn a thing or 2 from the other forgin brands and just mabe americans can do it right/ like take alok at that jap camaro that was on here last week everythign was flawless! america is good but it aint the **** . dont get me rong now i love my chevy's but if anything is done right they respect is due
Old 07-07-2006, 01:11 PM
stu
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by toxik IROC
idont have a working bike yet{ 1980 midnight speacail} all broken down right now but what the hell? whats rong with non american bike or other ****? hu ? americans should learn a thing or 2 from the other forgin brands and just mabe americans can do it right/ like take alok at that jap camaro that was on here last week everythign was flawless! america is good but it aint the **** . dont get me rong now i love my chevy's but if anything is done right they respect is due
If there is one thing YOU should learn from America, it would be how to spell their words.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Mabe i dont know how to spell but im learing. i wasnt tryin to beat down on american products all i was saying is why hate on non-american stuff?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

cause if is not american it's unamerican and unpatriotic. plus anything not american is slow and worthless
Old 07-07-2006, 02:17 PM

Car: 88 IROC
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: Pro 5.0 shifted T56
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73 posi
Originally Posted by rx7speed
cause if is not american it's unamerican and unpatriotic. plus anything not american is slow and worthless
youre joking right? if youre not, you need to chill out because my suzuki will make your mazda suck its.....drain plug

lets get back on the subject at hand....
Old 07-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

well anyways back to the topic! i saw a lil honda civic wide body kit+lots of stickers alot bigg fart can exhust. pulled up to the light nixt to a daucati 999r or sumthin like it bike pulled away soo fast or at least that wat it looked like to me....i was bikin home from work {bmx bike o yh}
Old 07-07-2006, 03:08 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by StreetRoc85 350
youre joking right? if youre not, you need to chill out because my suzuki will make your mazda suck its.....drain plug

lets get back on the subject at hand....
I have to chill out cause your bike can beat my car?
doesnt make sense to me but oh well
Old 07-07-2006, 05:54 PM

I have to chill out cause your bike can beat my car?
doesnt make sense to me but oh well
No, you need to chill out because youre saying that anything not american is junk and you have a bunch of mazda crap all over your sig

Look man, i dont want a conflict here. Im sure youre a cool guy but if we go back and forth like this then the mods will lock this thread in no time. Lets just agree to disagree. No hard feelings
Old 07-07-2006, 06:11 PM
stu
Supreme Member

So where are all these Jap supporters in all the other threads I post in?

Old 07-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Supreme Member

if I have a bunch of mazda stuff all over my sig and my name is an obvious imported car and my other which is stated as a honda why can't I say that imports suck?

why would someone get this upset at someone who doesn't even own a domestic car? how could you honestly take me so serious and get worked up over such a thing as that. and you say I need to chill? if ya only saw how things work around here.

so calm down man and chill out.

or this import hating domestic loving import owner who doesn't even have a domestic is going to have to put a woop down on you internet gangsta style with my domestic love cause you like imports
Old 07-07-2006, 06:30 PM

Car: Honda Accord
Transmission: 5spd
Originally Posted by stu
So where are all these Jap supporters in all the other threads I post in?

into the woodworks with the stuff you stir up
Old 07-07-2006, 06:47 PM

if I have a bunch of mazda stuff all over my sig and my name is an obvious imported car and my other which is stated as a honda why can't I say that imports suck?

why would someone get this upset at someone who doesn't even own a domestic car? how could you honestly take me so serious and get worked up over such a thing as that. and you say I need to chill? if ya only saw how things work around here.

so calm down man and chill out.

or this import hating domestic loving import owner who doesn't even have a domestic is going to have to put a woop down on you internet gangsta style with my domestic love cause you like imports

I dont like imports. I hate imports. (of the four-wheeled nature that is...)
I like MY bike not because its imported but because its mine and its way faster than i could ever possibly make use of. I just dont think you should hate on imported bikes because they are totally different than imported cars.

American Bikes- Slow
American Cars- Fast

Import Cars- Slow
Import Bikes- Fast

So i guess we are arguing the same point to each other

Whatever, youre a TGO member, i dont want beef with you. Lets just drop it.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:32 PM
stu
Supreme Member

I agree with your buying american statement.

Buying American just because it's American is a VERY unpatriotic thing to do.

I don't want to call you stupid, so I'll just say that favoritism is employeed by people who have a serious lack of understanding of how capitalism (along with most of the world) works. If that's the case, you, and others like you need to re-educate yourself.

People buying American, just to buy American, is the VERY reason why American car companies are having such a difficult time lately. I think things are looking up for the big three though. Hopefully the trend continues.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by stu

I don't want to call you stupid, so I'll just say that favoritism is employeed by people who have a serious lack of understanding of how capitalism (along with most of the world) works. If that's the case, you, and others like you need to re-educate yourself.

People buying American, just to buy American, is the VERY reason why American car companies are having such a difficult time lately. I think things are looking up for the big three though. Hopefully the trend continues.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:37 PM

Calm down man, I was referring to if there were two products, one American and one foreign with the same quality, buy American. If two things are very similar buy the American because through your purchase you are employing Americans and supporting the economy. I wasnt saying buy American even if it sucks. Besides you were the one saying a person who buys foreign should go to hell so I think you are the one picking favorites. I do agree however that by people accepting crap products from the big three has set them back, and when they put out bad products they should suffer dropping sales. I'm not saying that no one has better products than America, there are plenty of other countries as well or better at the development of products. For you to say that buying a hayabusa is unpatriotic, are you insinuating that people chose it off of favoritism for japanese bikes? Buell (American) doesn't have a bike as well engineered as the busa (foreign), so are you saying to accept crap from buell and bite the bullet so you don't seem unpatriotic?

Last edited by okmaro; 07-09-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:38 PM
stu
Supreme Member

You're too new to mess with. It just doesn't work.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by stu
You're too new to mess with. It just doesn't work.
Too new to mess with? All I said was if there are similar products you should buy American, and that if an American company has a crap product you should buy foreign to force them to change, what is the problem with that? There are plenty of foreign cars and bikes that can give any American equivalent a run for its money, so it is then a matter of PREFERENCE, so why not go with the same country you live in? There is nothing wrong with wanting to support your economy. All the "Jap" supporters as you call them leave because all you do is say their products suck compared to American, even though they have high quality products too. All you keep saying is buy based on quality, but if its anything other than American go to hell. Way to point out something as irrelevant as my "being new" by the way, there is a lot more to this world than thirdgen.org posts.

Old 07-09-2006, 02:25 PM
stu
Supreme Member

I'm not even going to read your post. You're preaching to the choir. All that **** I said about being unpatriotic was meant to pull people like you out of the woodworks. Everything I said was a version of some stupid BS that I've heard on here time and time again. I was just seeing what it'd be like to be on the other side for a change.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '72 Chevy Nova
Engine: Solid roller 355
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 8.5" 10-bolt 3.73 Posi
hahaha stu i almost spit my drink out when I read the post about getting headers on the 502

american bikes are slow but cool. import bikes are fast and cool. I want a bike
Old 07-21-2006, 05:16 PM

Car: '87 Firebird
Engine: '89 Corvette L98, unstock
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi
You can't corner on the older versions of those bikes, you had to go literally like 3mph around turns because the rear wheel was a flat car tire,...
Most people can't control bikes at high speed, sure a busa can go 200+/- but if it is your most likely not on it anymore, (alot of people would have a hard time at 110),...
Those V8 bikes are show bikes, but they shouldn't be underestimated, it does have a chevy V8 on it.
Wow, you really don't know **** about bikes do you? That has to be some of the dumbest comments I've ever heard
Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Supporter/Moderator
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 427 Likes on 329 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
An old co-worker of mine took his stock Huyabusa back to the track and ran a 9.3 at 143 mph. Granted his bike is the fastest stock bike on the road but most other bikes aren't too far behind. It takes a mean car to take a well driven bike down from a dig.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Redbird
Wow, you really don't know **** about bikes do you? That has to be some of the dumbest comments I've ever heard

1.)The boss hoss bikes (as far as I know) originally had a rear tire of a car (squared off), which resulted in a wobble/tipping effect, so yeah, you had to corner at speeds that kept the tire flat. Too much weight would be thrown back in forth as the bike went back to an upright position, and could easily lead to a tip over. The newer bikes have a rounded tire so they are easier to corner.

2.)I wasn't referring to the speed of 110 as being hard for the bike to achieve, or that a normal person could not go at those speeds, but the average person would not want to put themselves into the danger associate with speed of 110+mph. Granted some do, but many do not. Everyone has heard at least one story of a bike plowing into the back of a car at high speeds.

3.)The power to weight ratio of the boss hoss bikes are fairly impressive, and if the power is applied well it can most likely beat a normal to slightly modified car from stop light to stop light, so to say that they are not to be taken lightly is not a stretch.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:31 PM

1.)...(as far as I know)...
That's just it, you don't know. Your comment of "literally like 3mph around turns" is particularly ignorant when you know that the average person walks at about 4mph. Here's an excerpt from a 1998 review of a Boss Hoss in Motorcycle Cruiser magazine:
"With 130/90-16 Continental motorcycle tire on the front wheel and that big, square-profile Firestone P225/70R15 radial car tire on the back, we anticipated all sorts of adventures in corners. We were therefore extremely and pleasantly surprised to discover that the Boss Hoss actually tracked pretty precisely and smoothly around as many corners as we could find in south Florida. It steered with no more force than needed for other "big" bikes."

2.)I wasn't referring to the speed of 110 as being hard for the bike to achieve...
No, what you referred to was that at 200mph you would no longer be on the bike, and implied that most would have trouble staying on at 110mph. I've been riding motorcycles for over 20 years, and I have never heard of anyone being spontaneously removed from their bike just because they went over the 110mph mark.

3.)The power to weight ratio of the boss hoss bikes are fairly impressive...
Yes, compared to an average car it should be faster. But in that post you were comparing it to a motorcycle, not a car. There's no way a two speed Boss Hoss is going to have the legs to outrun a modern liter class sportbike. It'll either have to be geared to get out the hole, or run top end. Not both.
Geared low, it won't have the top end to stay with the sportbike. Geared high, and it won't get off the line fast enough to compete.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you've never ridden a motorcycle, nor do you surround yourself with people that do. Because your comments/observations on them are ignorant and triffling. Which is what lead me to say "Wow, you really don't know **** about bikes do you?"
And I stand by my comment of "That has to be some of the dumbest comments I've ever heard". With your reply to it now included.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:18 AM

1.) Rolling around corners on a road is far different than coming to a stop, and attempting to turn around a right angle type corner The component force of the bikes weight pushing down and the inertia of the bike in the current direction determines the location on the wheel that the bike when tilted, can reach an equilibrium in which the bikes inertia is stopped by the friction of the tire, while still having the bike in a non-laid down position. The square wheel does not allow the bike to roll into the correct position as easily as a round one does when stopped, so there has to be compensation. You cannot achieve the correct angle to the road as you are about to turn, so you have to travel at slow speeds, that way as you turn, the bike does not go past its center of gravity. Since you cannot lean without the help of the front tire guiding due to the high weight, you must steer the bike in an upright position until you are around the corner. Did you honestly think I meant as you were traveling down a winding road you had to travel at 3 mph? If the square tire was as versatile as the round tire, more companies would use it for the higher traction due to more surface area touching the road.

2.) When I said "no longer on the bike" I did not mean you would suddenly find yourself sitting in the road because of some unseen force, I was saying that at those speeds many have found themselves lodged in the back of another vehicle so they are no longer on the bike, and because of these stories many choose to not put themselves in that danger. You read what I wrote far too literally. Plenty of people kill themselves on bikes at far lower speeds anyway.

3.) When you compare the gearing of the two bikes, I agree with you that it will be geared for either low end or high end, but then you must also consider the type of race they are to be competing in, from light to light typically needs to be geared lower, whereas a longer race needs steeper gears for top speed, all that means is that the hoss is not a jack of all trades, but when geared right it can perform. Also the statement that they should not be underestimated was meant as an all encompassing statement, not one necessarily aimed at bikes alone. I stated this because everyone was saying a V8 bike is only for show, other high CID bikes have been shown to be capable performance machines, thus they should not be underestimated.

Just because you misunderstood what I wrote does not mean I lack motorcycle knowledge, all this meant was that you misread, something that can easily happen, so stop trying to paint me as a simpleton.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:42 AM

...stop trying to paint me as a simpleton.[/COLOR]
I'm not. You're doing an excellent job all by yourself
Stick to something you know. Motorcycles are not your forte.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:02 PM

Car: Z28
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Originally Posted by irocznickv8
yeah but the v twin is 1000-1300cc thouse crouch rokets 600 750 1300 1000 with four cylders its really about displacement
A 600 is rarely a fast bike, a 12 second car can hang with *most* 600s if not beat them. Anything larger you really need to be fast to even contemplate running. Rolls are better than digs when going against a bike.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by vampiroc
A 600 is rarely a fast bike, a 12 second car can hang with *most* 600s if not beat them.
Guess again. The current crop of 600cc sportbikes are running 10's Show me a 12 second car that beats one and I'll show you someone who can't ride a bike.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:59 AM

Car: '01 Lincoln LS - '89 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 c.i. 1 piece seal truck block
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 2.73 gears stage II
This guys a Bush fan...lol...

I'm gonna run outta here after dropping that bomb on baghdad...

BTW...I see a lot of morons on this forum. I see jibberish about weight to power ratios not mattering and 600cc bikes getting beat by 12 sec cars! This is BS. MOST 600cc+ newer (00+) sport bikes are easily capable of low 11s...stock. I've see a 650cc get barely beatin by my buddies Ws6 with a rear-mounted turbo, slicks and about 15k worth of other crap. That was a street race though...on a track any 600cc+ sportbike should KILL any 12 second car.

Last edited by ineeedmorespeed; 08-02-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

I would to if I where you being that is a fairly stupid comment.
I'm taking it you can't read the rest of the comments too well correct? or see some sarcastic nature in this being some guy owning an import claiming that imports suck and are unpatriotic. doesn't that strike you as just a little odd? maybe like YOUR buddy you choose not to really look into things that are sittign right in front of your face.

wake up kid and smell the rice. I own an import and somewhat enjoy it. actually I own two forget about that honda sometimes right now
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 speed Manual
My brother has a bike(a 2002 Schwinn 21speed) I raced him with my stock L03 5speed and he beat me at the start(up to about 1mph) but in the 1/4 mile he couldn't touch me I just kept pullin away. Might have been a different story if I had an auto tho...

On the serious side there are some decent american sport bikes out there - Buell's, they might not be quite as fast as some of those jap bikes but they aren't as slow as the harleys and they handle very well.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:38 AM

Car: 2001 Camaro SS
Transmission: T56
after my cam is installed and i get my tuning done im going to "RACE" my friends 05 CBR 600...but i told him only way im going to race is if we start at 70 mph and i get a 3 car length head start and i get the jump. hhahahaha yeah i dont even think that will be enough but it will be interesting and ill hopefully have a video..
Old 08-04-2006, 01:26 AM

In a heads up race a bike will consistantly take you off the line unless he pops the clutch like a fool and flips the bike. Most new bikes are a zero-sixt in around 4 seconds or less, if we are talking about crotch rockets and not cruiser style bikes. In a long run you will be able to over take one, unless the guy is a maniac and has his bike geared to the teeth. On a webpage their was a video comparison between a Bike, Porsche and a harrier jumpjet, and the bike was ahead of a considerable ammount of time.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:39 PM

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 350 TPI L98
Originally Posted by ineeedmorespeed

Some people amaze me.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro427SS
In a long run you will be able to over take one, unless the guy is a maniac and has his bike geared to the teeth.
And what do you suppose the top speed of your car is?
Stock gearing will move a 600cc sportbike into the 150mph range. Stock gearing on my bike will slam it into the 187mph "restricted" top speed with ease. Remove the "restriction" and it'll go deep into the 190's.
Assuming your car will go faster than that, how long do you think it'll take to "over take one" in a "long run"?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:14 PM

Car: '01 Lincoln LS - '89 Camaro Z28
Engine: 350 c.i. 1 piece seal truck block
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock 2.73 gears stage II
Thatguyhasnocluewhatheistalkingabout.btwmyspacebarisbroken.sorry.lol.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:09 AM

Car: 2001 Camaro SS
Transmission: T56
ive seen some vids of cars walking bikes.. i have one of a twin turboed ls1 edgeing out a 750 gixxer
Old 08-08-2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sidewayz28
ive seen some vids of cars walking bikes.. i have one of a twin turboed ls1 edgeing out a 750 gixxer
And the Key Word in that post is "Twin Turboed"
A friend of mine only has one little bitty turbo on his 'busa. Anybody wanna run him?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

key word would be turbo

what does twin have to do with anything?
Old 08-08-2006, 07:48 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 5 speed Manual
key word would be turbo

what does twin have to do with anything?
Each Turbo adds power.
i.e. a car that runs 15sec 1/4mile naturally aspirated and runs 12sec w/ 1 turbo will run 9 sec w/ 2 turbos and 6 sec w/ 3 turbos and 3 sec w/ 4 turbos. If you add a 5th turbo it will hit light speed and if you add a 6th it will actually travel back in time. Come on man its common sense thats how the delorean did it in back to the future, it had like 10 turbos.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 91black5spd
Each Turbo adds power.
i.e. a car that runs 15sec 1/4mile naturally aspirated and runs 12sec w/ 1 turbo will run 9 sec w/ 2 turbos and 6 sec w/ 3 turbos and 3 sec w/ 4 turbos. If you add a 5th turbo it will hit light speed and if you add a 6th it will actually travel back in time. Come on man its common sense thats how the delorean did it in back to the future, it had like 10 turbos.
it doesn't quite work like thjat
Old 08-08-2006, 08:28 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 376 Likes on 304 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
i raced a honda goldwing bike or similar honda cruiser...not sure what it was...but i pulled it by the top of second from a 15mph roll
Old 08-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

I beat a bike on foot once. with all the massive torque he was putting down he started it in 3rd and he had me for a moment but then I realized I had a stick in my hand and shoved it in his spokeds right as he was shifting into 4th and well he did a ni ce endo and bent a spoke on the 10 speed.

oh well life is a biatch sometimes right?
Old 08-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc, 1987and 1989 formula 350
Engine: 305tpi,350tpi,ls1
Transmission: 700r4,t-56
Axle/Gears: 3:08,3:27,3:23
all depends on how you race from a light or highway..etc ..what type of bike and what you are running for a driveline in your car...bikes have better weight to hp ratio but can not launch from a light hard enough.....I smoked a zx7 from a start and buried him top end... gotta love the feeling
Old 08-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

most bikes I have seen launch with the guy knowing what he is doing and so forth will waste a lot of cars. if they can keep that front end down it's over.