Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

A couple stories!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Mustang Coupe/89 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 carb'd/305
Transmission: T5/T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 and stock TrakLok/stock GM
A couple stories!

OK, well, I finally got a few minutes to share my wonderful stories with the ThirdGenners! Lol, here goes

1. I had to run up to AutoZone to grab some screws and bolts last Saturday. So, im drving in the Fiero and this black newer Mustang (non GT) was in front of me in the turning lane into the AZ parking lot. Tinted windows, stock wheels, huge r!cer wing and a fart cannon So, I follow him in and hes driving REAL slow, cruising style (3pm tho) and he keeps revving his motor and engaging his clutch, Im assuming for a chirp or something...Im trying my hardest not to die laughing, cause this guy is doing the whole "Gangster Money" lean thing out his window, and i finally snag my parking spot. I get out and begin to walk in. Well, he drives by the 4-5 R!cer guys and their all around this sky blue 2dr Honda, hood popped and the white and painted parts are clearly visible. Anyways, the Stang driver goes by them and revs his fart cannon and tries to chirp his tires and the ***** guys are all gawking at it, like its the coolest thing ever. So, I walk in, really laughin inside. I get in there and snag my bolts and am waiting for the AZ guy to get my new battery terminals out of the back. So, Im standing there and the Mustang guy walks in, hat sideways, fake chains, pants nearly falling off and a lean-back kind of walk. He walks over to the "R1cer section" and points out this stuff and I hear him say "Man, look at the phat NOS sticker! I bet theyd look tight dawg!" and his buddy replies " Yeah man, youd be able to beat that Honda out there!"

So, Im kinda at the point where laughing is nearly mandatory and I just walk over to the counter and grab my terminals. I get in line and the Mustang guy gets in behind me, with some stickers, yellow generic CAI air filter and some cheapie neon lights. So, he says to his buddy "Man, did you see how I smoked that slow a$$ IROC-Z? I beat him by like 10 cars dawg!" At that point, I busted up laughing. The Mustang guy looks at me and says "What you laughin at Camaro ***?" (I had my Camaro hat on) I told him "Man, you really need to stop actingl ike a F----n r!cer. I mean, seriously, how many actual hot rodders would believe your Mustang would take any kind of IROC-Z?"
"Well, when you're pushing over 800 horses man, its easy! Everyone knows those 80's Camaros are slow!"
I told him "Well, if they are so slow, let me run back home and grab my 82 then and we'll run 'em then."
"Naw dawg, my car is too fast, they wont even let me run at the Valley anymore cause I run 5 seconds flat!
So I smirk and ask, "Well, then, I gotta see that rollcage and motor setup man!"

So, I go outside and throw my purchases in the Fiero and head over to his car. He pops his carbn fiber hood and I nearly die laughing, cause his motor is a bone stock V6, not one mod under the hood. I tell him that his car MIGHT run 10's at the Valley and that if he needs proof, Id race him in the Fiero (funny idea lol). He got scared and said "Naw man, those things make like 500 horses!" So, he gets in his car and he leaves in a hurry. I laughed so hard from that I nearly cried.

2. Ok, Im in the 92 Sunday night, taking my friend back home after picking up some primer for the primer job the new day. As we are driving back, Im on the nearly deserted main stretch and we're talking about cars, as usual. Well, I get to a light and this jet black mid 90's 2 dr Honda, tinted windows, medium sized aluminum wing and black wheels is beside me. Im continuing talking when he revs his fart cannon really high and bounces off the Rev limiter. We both look over and kinda give the "WTF was that about" look and then go back to talking. He revs it again, and rolls his window down and I proceed to roll mine down. He asks what Im running under the hood and I said a 305. He started chuckling and looked over at his girl and told her something and then he looked back over and said "Well, you gonna race me or not?" Before i can say anything my cousin says " Why, are you that desperate to see tail lights?" He gets kinda mad at that and tells me to prepare to get whooped. My cousin keeps telling me to do to him what I did to that dude at work, give him a car head start. I was kinda reluctant but I said, why not? So, his girl yells over "Yo jackass, Camaros suck! My B/F's got over 3 grand in this car, you're gonna lose big time Chevy boy!" I then mumbled "We'll see about that" and then I start getting my RPM's up and It gets all the way up to about 1800, and I can feel it about to break traction. Light turns green and I let him get about a car and a half before I come out of the hole and as soon as I do, I catch back up REAL quick and Im side by side, I shift perfectly to 2nd gear and keep on pullin. I hit 3rd gear and my cousin is all ecstatic and I let out at 80 MPH and by then I have almost 2 cars on him. I let out and he does the infamous FlyBy and so, I let my speed drop back down and I go to the next gas station and put some petro in the Maro. Well, Honda guy is there and he's with what seems to be his R!cer buddies. He hasnt seen me yet and I hear him over there " Man, I just raced this 80 something Camaro! It looked raggedy but man, it blew me away! He didnt even take off till I was like 2 cars ahead of him! I swear I heard him hit the NAWSS!" I was smilin, cause it was so funny how much stuff he thought I had lol. So, I walked into the store to pay and when I walk back out, I go over to the guy and tell him that that 3 grand mustve been all show and no go. Then I walk back over to the Camaro and my cousin is laughin and told me that he hasnt had this much fun in awhile and i take him home then I go home myself.

BTW, i swear this is all ture. It may sound a little fake but It really happened, I kinda couldnt believe it did happen. But considering the Camaros are goin up for the winter, ill have to wait till next year to dust some r!cers off, cause the little Fiero is pretty slow....but then again its a daily driver.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Mustang
Engine: Bolt Ons
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Some people these days, but I would watch out, some of the V6s Mustangs when well driven run in the mid 15s. Thats plenty to take a 10 second 1/8 mile car. Im sure this kids didnt, but you never know?
Old 11-17-2004, 11:21 AM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Auto w/ shift kit
nice funny stories i cant believe the guy in the mustang thought his car was 5sec 1/8th stock lollll
Old 11-17-2004, 11:47 AM

Feiro

feiro for a daily driver? i've had two GT's myself...87 and a 86..both sticks...i LOVED my fieros but maby mine were POS's...couldnt trust them for daily driver status
Old 11-17-2004, 12:05 PM

Car: 92 Mustang Coupe/89 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0 carb'd/305
Transmission: T5/T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73 and stock TrakLok/stock GM
GT's huh? Id like to get my hand on one of those. Mines just an SE with an auto....I thought mine wouldnt be able to hold up to that but it does really great...much cheaper than a Camaro in gas mileage...especially with gas prices lol.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Yo jackass, Camaros suck! My B/F's got over 3 grand in this car, you're gonna lose big time Chevy boy!

I love that, most of the time when I roll up on guys and their girlfriends in the car with them im breaking the girlfriends neck lol. Still, nice stories, made me laugh.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:34 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 91 Z28 & 21 Hellcat Challenger
Engine: L98, Hemi 6.2
LMAO nice stories and good kill.. Man R!CERS are just weird LOL
Old 11-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 376 Likes on 304 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42
yeah, that del sol i raced last weekend had his girl in the car, but they didnt look over much. untill we got to the light and realized its a camaro of the Irocz variety. she gave it a quick overview glance and just turned her head. they knew what was up! LOL but we messed around for fun.

yeah, i still have yet to met someone like the guys in your stories. Funny stuff you got there but come on, where do you find these people? That would be funny as hell to met them but i would get pissed off at their ignorance. I would wig out and demand that they race right now. They refuse i would call them out. Thats ridiculous to make up BS about your car like that. Especially BS on that scale.

yeah i can see someone saying they got 300hp to round up from an L98's stock 240hp with full exhaust, headers and gutted intake. but even that's wrong to a degree, cuz i say i got 270hp with those mods. i dont lie.. But for that mustang guy to say he runs 5 flat???? AARGHHH!! makes me sick and mad at same time LOL
Old 11-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 5.7 with some mods.
Transmission: 700r4 needs shift kit
Axle/Gears: Stock.
these kids are dumb. i had a friend that went from a thirdgen camaro to a 80's monte carlo then to a civic. he lowerd it put a spoiler on it body kit and rims no motor work o yeah and exhaust.
he had it for a couple month like or so. and then the second to last time i talked to him he told me about when he was in the city and some japanese people where telling him nice car and stuff and at the time he had it for sale so he was like o yeah buy it then. he was getting sick of it he said. he was saying theres no power its got a front bumper that in winter will plow the streets and it didnt compare at all the v8 and thats what he likes is v8 power. so last time i talked to him he was driving his grandpa 80's monte and i was in my camaro, first time he seen me with it. he was like yeah thats a nice car and i showed him the motor and he was like nice. then he said he sold his ***** and got a new truck. and i went by his house and seen it. its a nice truck he said he's never going to get another ***** again. i got a couple of my friends outa the ***** attitude just from then seeing my camaro or riding in it. and its just a 305. but the car shakes when you rev it and they think thats cool. well it is soo yeah. and when you rev it it doesnt go vin vin vin vin. but VHAROOOM VHAARROOOOOOOM
Old 11-17-2004, 02:18 PM
stu

Sigh, some people.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:47 PM

stu i hate to tell you this after your brain has been washed. but ri\1cers are gay and so are the people that drive them. please go away.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:48 PM
stu

Originally posted by slim84maro
stu i hate to tell you this after your brain has been washed. but ri\1cers are gay and so are the people that drive them. please go away.
Just like everyone else in this whole thread, I was talking about the people in his story. Should I expect your appology in this thread, or will you be starting a new thread?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:03 PM

maybad stu
i just like imports
Old 11-17-2004, 03:06 PM
Supreme Member

and when you rev it it doesnt go vin vin vin vin. but VHAROOOM VHAARROOOOOOOM
When did that become cool? Thats what I don't understand. I swear, you hear these cars and they are whining super loud and their still going like 20mph and not picking up any speed. How did such an annoying high pitched sound become so popular?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:17 PM

yeah i know you see one punch it when your at a light or next to one and its just loud and then you look back and its still right there.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:17 PM
stu

Originally posted by pasky
When did that become cool? Thats what I don't understand. I swear, you hear these cars and they are whining super loud and their still going like 20mph and not picking up any speed. How did such an annoying high pitched sound become so popular?
It's just a side effect of getting a bigger exhaust with less muffler/resonator to quiet it. The other thing I've noticed, is the reason people rev to the moon at you, is because if they don't rev that high, you wouldn't be able to hear them. That's why I don't flex on people. Even with a 2.5" exhaust I'd have to rev it all high just to be heard. That's mostly because the turbo quiets it down a lot and I've got both a muffler and a resonator.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Supreme Member

Yes but its horrible. It certainly doesn't scream at me "Look at all the power on this baby, yea!"
Old 11-17-2004, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

some do sound somewhat decent, sorta like a high class ferrari supercar kinda thing.

but to me, since imports are on a smaller scale than other cars, they are toys. just things to have fun in. Serious business is left to the "real" cars that make big power numbers and are mean sounding. true imports can be made to go fast, but its not the same. A 11 second import is nothing like a rwd 11second V8. imports arent mean sounding either. Dont get me wrong tho, i kinda like some imports and will own one someday as second "toy" car LOL as a daily backup to the "beast" whenever it gets done. LOL
Old 11-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Car: 1986 Chevy Camaro Z28
Engine: 4BBL 350
Transmission: 700r4
Good Christ.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:35 PM
Supreme Member

Meh if I get one, its gonna be my 40mpg beater. I'd never think of making any performance out of it.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:44 PM
stu

Turbo cars sound awesome, but a high horsepower turbo car sounds the same as a low horsepower one.

The Boxer motors sound awesome in my opinion (Subaru). I've never heard anyone complain about how a Porsch sounds.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:52 PM
Supreme Member

Can't say i've heard one revved, my neighbor down the street has a porche but don't know what kind it is but its quiet.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:43 PM

you know what sounds good, my friends srt-4's exhaust. its more like a american exhaust sound then an import. then you get the blow off valve tisss. sounds nice.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:56 PM
stu

you know what sounds good, my friends srt-4's exhaust. its more like a american exhaust sound then an import. then you get the blow off valve tisss. sounds nice.
It's not an American sound, it's an open exhaust sound with a turbo to quite it down. This is exactly what I'm talking about. My exhaust sounds kind of like that as well. Did you know that SRT-4s don't even come with a muffler from the factory? All they have is a couple of small resonators. I want one.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:00 PM

i didnt know that. but i can see an exhaust at the back of the car.
i think ill just get a couple resonator for my open exaust when i get my headers on. will prolly sound nice
Old 11-17-2004, 05:09 PM
stu

It obviously has exhaust, just not a muffler. I mean, a resonator is a muffler of sorts, but not like you'd find on every other car every made.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Did you know that SRT-4s don't even come with a muffler from the factory? All they have is a couple of small resonators. I want one.
SLP loudmouth of import world. LOL

whats wrong with liking an import? most of you hate them cuz moron kids that do only pointless and fugly appearance mods and no performance. I see nothing wrong with doing it "right"
Old 11-17-2004, 06:15 PM

i dont even like them "done right". i say keep them stock and use as economy cars. if you want power get a v8. get something with big *****,american muscle.
not some little wenner jap. product. no *****.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:18 PM
stu

i dont even like them "done right". i say keep them stock and use as economy cars. if you want power get a v8. get something with big *****,american muscle.
So 500 horsepower at the wheels isn't real power if it's not out of a V8?
Old 11-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

you know its not how big you are, its how you use it.... LOL but i would rather be big, and thats why i got a V8 car. LOL

dont see people's logic sometimes. 500hp is 500hp no matter what it comes from
Old 11-17-2004, 07:01 PM

that's not smart to say with Stu now settled here at TGO. Besides, to keep it short, imports can have just as much ***** as a v8. It may not have the displacement, but that doesn't mean it can't make high hp/torque for it's weight. It's all about efficiency of your motor. So basically you can have a 7.0 liter v8 run slower than 2.8 v6, depending on your power/weight, all those variables. Just because it's got displacement, doesn't means it's the fastest. Just like when some thirdgenners think 305's are nothing compare to the 350, when in reality, it just depends on which one is better built.

slim84, i'm sure you already knew that, you're probably just biased towards american v8's.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:11 PM

true^
Old 11-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Engine: Turbo KA24DE
Transmission: 5 spd
Axle/Gears: 4.08 VLSD
Originally posted by Orr89RocZ
yeah, that del sol i raced last weekend had his girl in the car, but they didnt look over much. untill we got to the light and realized its a camaro of the Irocz variety. she gave it a quick overview glance and just turned her head. they knew what was up! LOL but we messed around for fun.

Haha I have never had a girlfriend that even knew what a camshaft was. One thought getting an engine to "turn over" was exactly what it sounds like.

Not that I care. She was a good one.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:34 PM
stu

Originally posted by GTA_fan
that's not smart to say with Stu now settled here at TGO.
There is nothing that I could/would do anyway. Everyone is allowed their own opinion. I just try to get people to back it up with evidence and be logical about it.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Orr89RocZ
you know its not how big you are, its how you use it.... LOL but i would rather be big, and thats why i got a V8 car. LOL

dont see people's logic sometimes. 500hp is 500hp no matter what it comes from
Not if torque doesn't come along with it. To me, no torque = no fun. I love having my *** sucked into my seats and making a suction cup sound when I pull it off.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

yeah, thats a great feeling but high top end pulling power is also great. it keeps you pinned back.

combine sick lowend torque with that high hp, and you have it made!! i am getting alittle excited....
Old 11-17-2004, 11:41 PM
stu

Not if torque doesn't come along with it. To me, no torque = no fun. I love having my *** sucked into my seats and making a suction cup sound when I pull it off.
1) Torque doesn't put you in your seat, acceleration does. Cars with flat torque curves feel slow (read LS1). My car would snap your head back in the seat if you weren't ready for it.

2) My buddy has an STi that makes just over 400 ft/lbs and a little less whp. Most people on this board don't make numbers like that.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:47 PM

ok so acceleration is what? hp? or tq? which is it. because we are talking hp and tq.
hp is acceleration so whats tq do just keep you moving if your pushing or pulling something?
what gets you going what makes you get off the line quick? tq. what gives you the high speeds? hp.
tq gets you going hp keeps you going.
so stu tecnically pasky is right.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by stu
1) Torque doesn't put you in your seat, acceleration does. Cars with flat torque curves feel slow (read LS1). My car would snap your head back in the seat if you weren't ready for it.

2) My buddy has an STi that makes just over 400 ft/lbs and a little less whp. Most people on this board don't make numbers like that.

I believe your wrong here bud, perhaps you need to sit in my car because my torque curve is flat and if I drop a gear and nail it, that torque multiplication is gonna cram you into the seats. Its even more fun when I start from first.

No offense to you or your buddy, but on this site, rwhp really doesn't kick it here with a lot of guys, its not fancied as much as it is by the import crowd. A lot of imports make high rwhp, but guess what? It only peaks their, thats why a 800rwhp rx7 and a 500 rwhp rx7 still gets 11 second time slips. Not saying you don't know, but just saying just because your buddy has 400 rwhp, doesn't mean we can't hang with him.

Last edited by pasky; 11-17-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:56 PM
stu

ok so acceleration is what? hp? or tq? which is it. because we are talking hp and tq.
hp is acceleration so whats tq do just keep you moving if your pushing or pulling something?
what gets you going what makes you get off the line quick? tq. what gives you the high speeds? hp.
tq gets you going hp keeps you going.
so stu tecnically pasky is right.
Acceleration is the difference between how fast you are going and how fast you were going. Maybe you should just keep quiet this time.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:57 PM
stu

I believe your wrong here bud, perhaps you need to sit in my car because my torque curve is flat and if I drop a gear and nail it, that torque multiplication is gonna cram you into the seats. Its even more fun when I start from first.
You are both missing the point. Torque can put you in your seat, but it won't keep you there, acceleration does. I'm not saying that torque isn't good, everyone loves torque. I'm just saying that it isn't necessarily that feeling that everyone loves so much.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Supreme Member

Stu.....I think you got us wrong here...what exacty do you think is propelling your car forward? Torque is that sudden jerk your feeling when you drop that gear, acceleration is what is keeping you there.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:00 AM
stu

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what I just posted.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:01 AM
Supreme Member

Ok, I think were on the same page now. All I know, is without torque, my front end doesn't lift up and I love seeing my hood rise and scaring the crap out of anyone who bites .
Old 11-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Supreme Member

Yea sorry, I just replied at the same time you did, I didn't realize that was what you were trying to say.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:07 AM
stu

My car gives you the same feeling, but only at 5000 rpm instead of 2000. It's all the acceleration, since I don't have much torque. My car's also got a pretty good crouch to it when the turbo kicks in too, even despite it being FWD.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:12 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: 91 Z28 & 21 Hellcat Challenger
Engine: L98, Hemi 6.2
I just dont understand.... Why would a person buy a 110 hp Civic with prob like 90lb of TQ and try to make it a race car? You can get a decent V8 (lil more expensive) and have less money spent on it and move... I mean as long as i dont have that civic i really dont care, im jw why the hell ppl do this.. And Torque and HP are both important and help, theres a site somewhere that has HP vs TQ, i gotta find it some time
Old 11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

off idle, at launch, torque is what gets you moving and thats what you feel when you stomp on it and get thrown back into the seat.

Go to the track and watch those wheel standers! LOL torque is insane and traction is there, so with that, the front end will come off the ground, giving you a great feeling of torque and throwing you into your seat. LOL

my dads old SS 396 chevelle would pin him back at launch and keep you there. Thats because of the torque from the start, and horsepower taking over after that. during shifts, the quick loss of momentem would throw you forward and then back again as gear was engaged and you layed into the throttle.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by nick418
theres a site somewhere that has HP vs TQ, i gotta find it some time
This should answer anyone's questions about the roles of power and torque.

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html
Old 11-18-2004, 11:24 AM
stu

Not saying you don't know, but just saying just because your buddy has 400 rwhp, doesn't mean we can't hang with him.
I think you better re-read this post that you quoted me on.

Quick Reply: A couple stories!