Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Beat an RS with the civic. lol

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 01:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Iroc-Z
Beat an RS with the civic. lol

Yesterday while cruisin around in the civic, i saw this 90-92 rs up ahead of me in traffic. It was blue with white racing stripes, dual exhaust (looked stock). The paint was kinda beat, but the car didnt look too bad.

So i sped through traffic tryin to get up to it. As i went around some big *** suv i saw him sittin at the next light. So i sped up in front of the suv and got next to him. As i rolled up beside him, i jus gave a lil rev. He looks over and starts doing a weak power brake. His tires spun a lil bit. So im like, ok he should whoop my ***, but what the hell.

AS the opposite light turns yellow, he starts the power breaking thing again, i brought the rpms way up to about 4500....then DOH!, the green arrow comes on. The camaro jumps half into the middle of the intersection, then quickly backs up. I look over and he was laughin (at himself), and i gave a smile. So i bring the revs back up, and the light turns green. I pulled about a car on him off the line and when i hit second i saw him creepin back up. But everytime i would get into vtec i would pull on him a bit more. By about 65-70 we were getttin close to traffic and i let off. He cut into the bike lane and blew past me around the cars in front of us. I was pretty happy that i beat a v8.

At the next light he turned right and i gave the the two fingers up out the moonroof but he jus sped off around the corner. I thought i was supposed to be the *****. lol
Old 03-09-2004, 10:26 AM

Car: 91 GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Ya know I hope this gets locked, and I think that I speak for everybody when I say:

WHOOPTY DOO!!!
Old 03-09-2004, 11:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro Vert
Engine: 02 LS1, HX40
Transmission: 2002 LS1 M6
and this is why people with stock 3rdgen motors shouldnt mess around on the street.... you'll lose... theres several 4cyl cars and a ton of V6 cars that are faster... lol.

ah well.. my question to you is, why were you going out of Vtec and back in? you should have hit it just after you launched in 1st, and stayed in it from then on.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:37 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '87 Mustang LX
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: T-5
Originally posted by 91gta_tpi
Ya know I hope this gets locked, and I think that I speak for everybody when I say:
WHOOPTY DOO!!!
STFU! You speak for no one.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by MrDude_1
and this is why people with stock 3rdgen motors shouldnt mess around on the street.... you'll lose... theres several 4cyl cars and a ton of V6 cars that are faster... lol.
lol.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Engine: 2.0 turbo
Transmission: m5
Axle/Gears: 3.91 LSD
No reason for this to be locked... It's thirdgen related since he raced a thirdgen and it's not written as a flame or anything so until you guys start flaming him for no apparant reason I'm going ot leave it open.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Inwo
No reason for this to be locked... It's thirdgen related since he raced a thirdgen and it's not written as a flame or anything so until you guys start flaming him for no apparant reason I'm going ot leave it open.

yup... personally i think there should be more, "my stock mudane hum-drum car beat a thirdgen" threads.

i would love to stop this reverse-**** craze.... you know, the one that makes people think that just because its a RWD V8 camaro, its fast..... its not fast... its pathetically slow.
just because its CAPABLE of being made into a fast car, doesnt mean it is one.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:48 AM
86Z
TGO Supporter

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro SC
Engine: 305 TPI Procharged D1SC
Transmission: Tremec TKO-600
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 Bolt 3.73 posi
what kind of civic do you have? that rs must not have been taking care off, cause civic's stock ones anyways just have no nuts. my girlfriend has a 2000 ex 5 speed and it takes for ever to get moving once i am, it'll go
Old 03-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Supreme Member

yup... personally i think there should be more, "my stock mudane hum-drum car beat a thirdgen" threads.

i would love to stop this reverse-**** craze.... you know, the one that makes people think that just because its a RWD V8 camaro, its fast..... its not fast... its pathetically slow.
just because its CAPABLE of being made into a fast car, doesnt mean it is one.
Thank you! I totally agree with you! Some kids get ahold of a camaro with a stock 305 in it and they think that they are unbeatable untill they get wasted by a modern day econo box.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84z, 65 elcamino
Engine: l69 and a hyped up sbc in the camino
Transmission: t5 m21
Axle/Gears: 373s 411s
i was in my buddys si and while i was in it it seemed fast but then i looked at the speedo. so civics are quick alot quicker than i give them credit for. but the still cant keep up with my stock l69 i mean stock for stock anyway till past 70 80 or so
Old 03-09-2004, 05:57 PM

Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350
who knows what was in the camaro or the shape of that engine, but theres alot of slow thidgens running around, alot more slow ones then fast ones. it really is a shame because those slows ones like to race and run there mouths the most and give thirdgen a slow tag. oh well its like that with every car.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:50 PM

Car: Yellow/Black 1987 Z28
Engine: 355 Carb
im not ashamed to admit a riced out civic beat me. i would rather have a car branded as slow by the import crowd and built it into something they are not expecting. i see it as no matter what you do an import will murder any f-body. speaking of imports i mean a ferrari or lambo or something like that as well as some quick sport compacts as they are calling them.

i didnt buy my car to get everyone's respect on the racing scene i bought it because i like the good and bad aspects of it. its times like this that i realize how much people take what they have for granted. poor people dont have decent cars. appreciate what you have and if it isnt the best at least it isnt the worest.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:04 PM

Car: 1995 z28 Mystic Teal
Transmission: t-56

ah well.. my question to you is, why were you going out of Vtec and back in? you should have hit it just after you launched in 1st, and stayed in it from then on.
Hehe idk my stock 350 put a woopin on some last year
Old 03-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Supreme Member

vtec kicks in at about 5100rpm. so when i shift, i am usually about 4500rpm, so untill i get back up to 5100rpm, im out of vtec.

sorry if my post offended anyone. I was just sharing a story. I own an iroc, so i am in no way bashing our cars. I just thought it was funny, and i was pretty happy that i actually won.

My civic isn't fast, it's a lil quick off the line, but definately not fast.

what kind of civic do you have? that rs must not have been taking care off, cause civic's stock ones anyways just have no nuts. my girlfriend has a 2000 ex 5 speed and it takes for ever to get moving once i am, it'll go
it's a 94 civic ex 5 speed. It's got funnel intake, header, hi flow cat, and 2.5in full catback.

http://defused.50g.com/images/94civic/civicbay.jpg

you can see it at my site below.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:13 AM
Supreme Member

heres that pic. link didnt work.
Attached Thumbnails Beat an RS with the civic. lol-civicbay.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 07:56 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by prOject-IrOc
vtec kicks in at about 5100rpm. so when i shift, i am usually about 4500rpm, so untill i get back up to 5100rpm, im out of vtec.
strange.... the honda my brother has stays in it all the time... ahwell.

Redballboy: if your car is stock, i know of a dead stock 2002 VW jetta VR6 thats faster... you'll get him out of the hole, but at about 330, he'll catch ya and keep going.

edit:
my point is, by todays standards, most 3rdgens are slow.. like econobox 4bangers for the 305s and V6s for the 350s.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1986 Iroc
Engine: Afr 408
Transmission: T56 Magnum
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3.70s
I own an LG4, there is no way I'm racing anyone, as I shouldn't, the 305 is not fast by any means of the imagination, but I definitely think that stock honda's aren't fast either. Nonetheless, this is a funny topic which deserves a funny post
Attached Thumbnails Beat an RS with the civic. lol-vtec_kickin.jpg  
Old 03-10-2004, 08:54 AM

STFU! You speak for no one.
Ya know if you wanna start with me again, just come on down here to Tennessee and we'll see how big a boy you are!!! And don't use the dumbass excuse that it is too far to drive. You fu*king immature piece of ****!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:02 AM
Supreme Member

Ya know if you wanna start with me again, just come on down here to Tennessee and we'll see how big a boy you are!!! And don't use the dumbass excuse that it is too far to drive. You fu*king immature piece of ****!!!

Yep I'm the immature one.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:56 PM

Car: 88 IROC - 86 Trans Am
Engine: L98 Carbed - 350 Carbed and boosted
Transmission: auto - T5
FYI v-6 3rd gens had dual exhaust just like the v-8s. (starting in 85 or 86?) So you couldve raced a 3.1L
Old 03-10-2004, 05:37 PM

Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350
well he did say it was a shamefull burnout (small,pinched) thats a big hint its a v6. but then again a out of shape v8 will do the same.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Supreme Member

it didnt sound like a v6. had the v8 tone.

but are you sure they have v6 with dual exhaust? i dun think i have ever seen that.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

strange.... the honda my brother has stays in it all the time... ahwell.
than he <i>MUST</i> have an aftermarket vtec controller or something. Any stock civic, the vtec is gunna kick in only at 5000-5200 rpm.

You can hear when vtec kicks in, you can hear the extra valves opening. It gets noticably louder.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:48 PM

ya everyone ive seen, i even help replace the muffler on my buddies 88 2.8 L. the car came stock with a single in dual out muffler just like the v-8. the same part number as the lg4 and lo3 if i remember correctly

what do u mean its the extra valves opening when the vtec kicks in???? for one thing only the civic SI has the dohc vtec. idk if u have that or the ex which is sohc vtec. all the valves are always opening throughout the rpm range. lol the other set of valves dont open at a certain rpm like the secondaries do on a 4 barrel carb. Its like the toyota version of vtec states in its name, vvti (variable valve timing). it basically changes the timing and I think cam duration throughout the rpm range for maximum performance and efficancy. and I dont think it kicks in either. u just feel the response more at higher rpms. correct me on this if I made any mistakes guys

Last edited by 86transamws6; 03-10-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 86transamws6
what do u mean its the extra valves opening when the vtec kicks in???? for one thing only the civic SI has the dohc vtec. idk if u have that or the ex which is sohc vtec. all the valves are always opening throughout the rpm range. lol the other set of valves dont open at a certain rpm like the secondaries do on a 4 barrel carb. Its like the toyota version of vtec states in its name, vvti (variable valve timing). it basically changes the timing and I think cam duration throughout the rpm range for maximum performance and efficancy. and I dont think it kicks in either. u just feel the response more at higher rpms. correct me on this if I made any mistakes guys

Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control (VTEC)

hey thanx. Im glad you stopped by to teach me about my car. lol

I know how VTEC works, excuse me for wording it wrong. But lets break it down for the non-ricers.

VTEC increases both valve lift and valve opening duration as the engine climbs through the rpms.

There are 3 different types of vtec in the us. The DOHC is alot more complex than the SOHC, but all in all the same technology.

SOHC VTEC is equipped with multiple cam lobes per cylinder, providing one valve timing and valve lift profile at low speed and a different profile at high speed. Switching from one profile to the other is controlled electronically, and is selected by current engine speed and load. VTEC <i>does</i> "kick" in, or "engage" at 5100rpm. "Varing" the valve lift & timing lets the engine breathe better at higher engine speeds.

You <i>can</i> feel it when it engages.

There are many many places online to learn about the 3 types of vtec, and i am not saying i know everything because i dont. But i do somewhat know what im talking about....well sometimes.

*edit*

VTEC-E is the 3rd type of vtec. It is the "efficency" version, found in HX models (other cars too i believe). There aren't any extra cam lobes in a VTEC-E engine. So each pair of valves work off 2 cam lobes. VTEC-E is found only in SOHC engines.

Oh, one more thing, Honda first introduced DOHC VTEC in the US on the 1990 Acura NSX, it was used bfore that but not in the US. Now it is offered in a variaty of different motors and cars. The del sol, the integra, the rsx, and the nsx, just to name a few.

Last edited by prOject-IrOc; 03-11-2004 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:24 AM

Variable valve Timing and lift Electronic Control (VTEC)

hey thanx. Im glad you stopped by to teach me about my car. lol

I know how VTEC works, excuse me for wording it wrong. But lets break it down for the non-ricers.

VTEC increases both valve lift and valve opening duration as the engine climbs through the rpms.

There are 3 different types of vtec in the us. The DOHC is alot more complex than the SOHC, but all in all the same technology.

SOHC VTEC is equipped with multiple cam lobes per cylinder, providing one valve timing and valve lift profile at low speed and a different profile at high speed. Switching from one profile to the other is controlled electronically, and is selected by current engine speed and load. VTEC does "kick" in, or "engage" at 5100rpm. "Varing" the valve lift & timing lets the engine breathe better at higher engine speeds.

You can feel it when it engages.

There are many many places online to learn about the 3 types of vtec, and i am not saying i know everything because i dont. But i do somewhat know what im talking about....well sometimes.

*edit*

VTEC-E is the 3rd type of vtec. It is the "efficency" version, found in HX models (other cars too i believe). There aren't any extra cam lobes in a VTEC-E engine. So each pair of valves work off 2 cam lobes. VTEC-E is found only in SOHC engines.
Ya know guys, last time I checked we were in a ThirdGen message board, not a Honda message board talking about VTEC bullsh*t!!! And I would be willing to bet money that the camaro you raced was a V-6!!
Old 03-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Supreme Member

Ya know guys, last time I checked we were in a ThirdGen message board, not a Honda message board talking about VTEC bullsh*t!!!
This is a third gen street racing board! Do you think that third gens only line up with other third gens? lol.
This is a topic about a third gen racing a civic it's perfectly normal to be talking about the cars that were involved in a street race.

Last edited by SOLID LIFTER; 03-11-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:20 PM

lol sorry about that prOject-IrOc, I thought you really meant the extra opening. I believe you about v-tec kicking in at 5100 rpms, its just Ive heard a couple times that its varying throughout the rpm range, not just on or off. I must be thinking about a different type of varying valve timing. maybe the celica gts engine with the vvtii? (the last "I" standing for intelligant) oh ya did u guys hear about the 2005 mustang gt? it has the tritan style heads with 3 valves per cylinder and their version of a variable valve timing. not that I'm impressed by that, I just think that WHEN GM brings back the f-body and if they still use pushrod style smallblocks the mustang and f-body would perform even differantly from each other than they have b4 in the past.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:38 PM

Car: '86 Z-28
Engine: 350 bored .030 over
maybe its cause im used to the torque in my camaro, but when i drive my buddy's GSR, the vtec just makes it louder. from what i understand, the variable valve lift and duration help to maintain the torque that they would normally lose in higher RPMs. thus, its not increasing power, its maintaining it for a more linear powerband. that is what i learned from my friend with the GSR. i dont spend most of my time studying imports, so im definitely not triyng to school you on something i dont even own, project-iroc. nice kill
Old 03-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Supreme Member

Ya know guys, last time I checked we were in a ThirdGen message board, not a Honda message board talking about VTEC bullsh*t!!! And I would be willing to bet money that the camaro you raced was a V-6!!
dude, whats your problem? Jus calm down and breathe a lil. I think I know what board we are on, I come here everyday. And maybe the Camaro I raced <i>was</i> a V6.....but I don't really care. I won, and I went home happy.

Thanks for the support SOLID and others who don't have anger problems.

<b>86transamws6</b>, no problem...sorry if i came off cocky at all (i just reread my post), anyways yah I think that is how toyota's vvtii works.

Originally posted by Meatikis
maybe its cause im used to the torque in my camaro, but when i drive my buddy's GSR, the vtec just makes it louder. from what i understand, the variable valve lift and duration help to maintain the torque that they would normally lose in higher RPMs. thus, its not increasing power, its maintaining it for a more linear powerband. that is what i learned from my friend with the GSR. i dont spend most of my time studying imports, so im definitely not triyng to school you on something i dont even own, project-iroc. nice kill
Ya, it's not a huge feeling of power you feel, but it basically does maintain the torque at higher rpm's. It's kinda like putting a big monster cam in at 5000rpms, while keeping good drivability (no cam lope) below 5000rpms.

Thanx for the compliments guys.

Last edited by prOject-IrOc; 03-11-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-12-2004, 01:17 PM

Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 350 TPI
91gta_tpi,
It's always good to learn about your competition that way you rarely ever get caught off guard on the street.

On the V6 dual exhaust thing - I've seen several earlier(<87) V6 models that came stock with a single out exhaust. The later V6 were probrably the only ones who got the dual out.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 TTA
Engine: LC2
Transmission: Worn-out 200R4
Axle/Gears: BW 9-bolt, 3.27's
I learn something every day! So, if I'm understanding this right, VTEC is like having two cams in your engine, and the ECM selects which one to use depending on runnning conditions, right? You could do something like that with variable height lifters, right? I had some crazy mad-scientist idea of having lifters with solenoids in them so they would extend a bit longer than normal, but only when the cam underneath them was pressign on them, thus giving the efect of having a bigger cam. However, I don't know of many solenoids that you could stick in the lifter cavities that would survive, plus you'd have to figure out timing events and a whole bunch of other stuff just so it would work. (Unless I'm stupid and there's already something like that on the market....)
Dunno. Good kill, though, FWIW.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Engine: 2.0 turbo
Transmission: m5
Axle/Gears: 3.91 LSD
I dunno about the variable height lifter idea but the new Mustang will have variable valve timing similar to VTEC. That should be something.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:00 AM
TGO Supporter

Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Sounds like IrOc might have irked a few RS drivers, LOL
Old 03-27-2004, 03:58 PM

Car: 1991 z28
Engine: l98
Transmission: 700r4
Ok, guys, comming down to earth, and lookin at the big picture.

As far as thirdgens are concerned. V-6 are slow, you may be able to get a 3.1 into the 15's. Depending on what year and trim level, the 305's are considered slow by V8 standards. Lg4's and the 88-92 LB9/ auto combos along with the LO3 were limited on performance also. If you got a LB9 5 spd, with the g92 then you have a 305 with a l98 cam in it, lookin at a low 15 to mid 14 sec car. And with the fact that mose of these cars have over 100k miles on em, many were base models with weak geared rears, its not a suprise that these cars are slow. HOWEVER!!!! If you have one of these cars, you can take a minimum of 2000 to 5000 and you can drop a small block v8, of any size, re-use your EFI or carb and have a real *** kicker. Toss a paint job in, freshen up the interior, and for under or around 10 grand you got a sweet car.

Imports are more plentiful now, so the choices are almost limitless as to what you want. Insurance is cheap, they're great on gas, theres no wonder why so many kids want them. If they spend 10k to match our cars fine, even if they make em faster, thats fine.

But our cars have one thing that hondas, acuras, nissans, and hundai's (sp) will more than likely never have. 20, 30, 40 years from now someone somewhere will always be restoring, wrenchin, spinning tires, doin burnouts, makin the front wheels lift off the ground in an f-body. While the before mentioned imports are sitting in a scrap yard, being recycled into soda bottles.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 RS Camaro (Jet Black)
Engine: 95 383 CI (6.3) LT1
Transmission: 95 T-56
Originally posted by Thomas Aquinas
I own an LG4, there is no way I'm racing anyone, as I shouldn't, the 305 is not fast by any means of the imagination, but I definitely think that stock honda's aren't fast either. Nonetheless, this is a funny topic which deserves a funny post
LOL
Old 03-28-2004, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Berlinetta 84 MonteCL
Engine: 3.4 MPFI 3.8 229
Transmission: 700r4 T350
Have to agree

With most of what was said. HOWEVER, just the other day I was at the track running my puny little V6 (I know ...), anyhow, I saw Numerous Imports there, Alot of VTEC Civics, to put it short, they were about 5 tenths behind me consistently. There was a B16 Civic Hatchback w/ 5 spd that was 3 tenths slower (It was gutted too...). If you count the things currently wrong with my car (Horrible misfire, Lean as Viel), I felt sorry for them. I DO have a hard time seeing the Civic Beating A V8. The fastest import I saw was an S2000, it was getting spanked by the V8's though.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 TBI
Well it definately sounds like the car was a V6. I have a 91 RS w/ a 305 and I absolutely destroy Civics all day. However, I do find it funny that someone with a V6 would put racing stripes on their car. I've never understood why someone would want to imply that their car is fast, when it's not. It's like "ricing" only for an American car. You know, when you see an American car with Welds on and some racing stripes, but the car is an absolute joke in the 1/4.

Anyways, good kill. I actually like some Civic's when they're done up nicely and tasteful.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:45 PM

Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: 5.7L/L98
Transmission: 700r4
Hey project-iroc this is the statement that threw ws6transam off,
"you can hear the extra valves opening" and obviously there are no extra valves, its in the cam as you stated.

Anyway it must have been a v6 you raced because your civic is probably in the mid 16 sec range. Either way no excuses for anyone willing to line up. Civic beats Camaro a header you won't see on these boards to much Good Kill!!
Old 04-02-2004, 01:54 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1999 Chevy Cavalier
Engine: 2.2
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: it's part of the transmission
If I see ever see a thirdgen with a broken wing, I'll go after it with my corolla.....oh wait i have! a V6 firbird couldn't seem to keep up!! lol....and it's only an 85 HP corolla!!! com on now!

he thought I was trying to race because I was reving my motor to clear smoke and keep the motor from stalling at a light...so I played along, I bet he has nightmares about a little corolla going by powershifting each gear....

Hasn't anyone heard the expression "it's not the car, it's the driver" That is so true!! learn it, live it, love it!!
Old 04-02-2004, 06:34 AM
Supreme Member

You can hear when vtec kicks in, you can hear the extra valves opening. It gets noticably louder.

Originally posted by omcrider
Anyway it must have been a v6 you raced because your civic is probably in the mid 16 sec range. Either way no excuses for anyone willing to line up. Civic beats Camaro a header you won't see on these boards to much Good Kill!!
ty ty, yah i guess it coulda been a v6... , im pretty sure it was a v8 but i guess i can't prove it. oh well, i won.

it's funny cause since i put the exhaust on my civic, everything and their mama tries to race me (especially trucks) . i think they get mad cause my car is louder than theirs.

Originally posted by junkyarddog
he thought I was trying to race because I was reving my motor to clear smoke and keep the motor from stalling at a light...so I played along, I bet he has nightmares about a little corolla going by powershifting each gear....
hahahaha

Last edited by prOject-IrOc; 04-02-2004 at 06:40 AM.