Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

92 Z28 vs 89 LX 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 05:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92Z28, 99SS, 83Z28 & 86GTA
Engine: 421, LS1, 327Turbo & 383
Transmission: T-56, 4L60E, T5 & 4L60
Axle/Gears: 4:10, 3:42, 2:73 & 3:27
92 Z28 vs 89 LX 5.0

Ok, I got myself a trash talker at work and he's telling me he can obliterate my car with his. Point being??? So were gunna race in a Month or two. But I was just wondering how it should turn out. I know Stangs can be quick and all, raced enuff with the 305 to respect them.

His car is a 89 LX 5.0, currently a Auto with ""just"" headers and added 3.73's. He claims 13.9's to me but to another fellow worker he addmitted he has never tracked it but he can say that he is that fast because of other cars he has raced. lol Now he say's he will have a 5-speed in the car for the race [got himself a donor 5-speed] and last week said he got a set of slicks. Last night he now tells me he will be adding a 150 shot of NOS. ""For a guy that would woop my car easy, y's he adding so much for the race?"" This guy has also tried telling me he has beat his friends 454 Vette and his uncles mod'd 95 Stealth Twin Turbo 6-speed with ease ""took the stealth right off the line for a good 20ft then they were neck and neck but his superior*torque* pulled him to a 2 car victory""BS!!, and that his car ""stock"" can rev to 8000RPM???? Have my doubt's!! That u "cant" run 10:1 compression or higher on street gas ""LMAO""!! I think he is just a big trash mouth.

Origanaly when he started his trash talking he thought I still had the G92 305 TPI. But then he mistakenly herd about another fellow employee's 327 that will be put in his 85Z28 sometime this year. So he now thinks I got a 327, but claims he will still woop me silly with his origanal setup. I think thats y he got the slicks and wants to add his NoS."" getting scared"" As for my real engine I wont tell him any better, just waiting for raceday. Now I would like to shut his trash talking mouth up but TBH dont really care if I win or loose as his car look like crap anyways. It puts a new meaning to the nick name Rustang. Mines mint! Prolly Y he called me out.

My set up is as follows but still being assembled. Waiting on heads and Injectors. Goal to be finished is late April.

383ci stroker
H600CP .030 Hypertech pistons
Xtreme Energy Hyd Flat tap. Cam 256/268 212/218 .447 .454 110
""yes mild for a 383 but bad emisions here and have to drive car 1 hour to work and then back again""
1.6 RR's
Stock 305 TPI Intake and runners
Semi ported plenium
Stock 48 mm TB with SLP Foil
24lb Accel or SVO injectors ""havnt picked what kind yet""
K/N Filters with cut air boxes and ram air
3.42's in the rear
Alum driveshaft
5-Speed
255/50 R16's Firestone Firehawk's
Pro Lightning 72cc heads 200cc Intake Runner
SLP 1 3/4" Dual Cat Headers Ceramic coated
3" cats back with DynoMax muffler
Spohn LCA brackets
Spohn SFC's

How do u think it will turn out??
Thanx

Last edited by Hawk92z-TDZ; 03-21-2003 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:12 AM

i personally think u'll win, but simply cuz this guys full of it.
Becareful... if nos comes in... thats the end of the story... instant HP in a can, literally.
U sound like u have more mods than he does, and chances are he'll chiken out. He'll especially lose if he drops the 5 speed. I highly doubt he'll master shifting at the right moments without missing a gear, or shifting too early by the time u two race.
Don't sweat it... honestly, people like that are just annoying...
i ran into a guy like that with a camaro 305 tbi
i raced him before i dropped my 3.4L
i beat him on the freeway... so much for his trash talk...
my fav. thing from him was "i can beat u cuz i have a v8, and well i dunno... i'm afraid of racing after my accident with the buick."
4 hrs later, we're doing 110 on the freeway...
some people are not worth racing honestly
Old 03-21-2003, 12:36 PM
Supreme Member

Ya I am just getting sick of here'n it day after day. Would like to beat him he'd shut his trap. I built my car they way I want for me, not to be the fastest car out there. I know I wont be, I just wanna have fun. I am hoping to get some good 13's out of it this year, thats it. Ultimate future goal is 12's and I am done.

U really think his stock motor with handle 150 shot of NoS? I dont know much about NoS other then what u see in the movie's. Was hoping to still get him with my N/A so I can rub it in even more so.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 350 firebreathing inches of Small Block Chevrolet
Transmission: A 700R4 that has trouble handling the formentioned 350.
What's the big deal with New Old Stock around here. Who cares if he has NOS.

The term is nitrous or N2O, Not NOS. NOS is for stupid movies and uneducated ricers.

And it's not just HP in a bottle you can't just put it on, you should really change plugs, rich'n the carb, and run higher octane fuel. It's not just as easy as HP in a bottle.

Later, Garrett
Old 03-21-2003, 02:51 PM

good point, most people say NOS meaning Nitrous Oxide System.
There are many more components in a N02 system than just a juice bottle and a few hoses. If you dont have all the right components your just wasting your money and burning your pistons.

Anywayz rape that damn trash-talkin, stang-drivin punk!!
Old 03-21-2003, 03:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
I think the Stang will win handily. Number one you're choking the heck outta your engine with the stock TPI setup, and then you go with 200 cc heads. Talk about a mismatch. And you mention emissions, but for crying out loud the cam you list is mild for even a near stock 350, much less a 383 (at least it will work semi decently with the stock TPI intake, but that doesn't say much).

I'm curious as to why you've selected that small of a cam (not much bigger than the one I put in my 305...), and why you aren't interested in some intake options like the Stealthram or a converted LT1 intake? We have fairly strict emissions here with a two stage dyno test, and I pass with a hotter cam (XE262, decent but still mild...), a freakin carb, and no emissions devices other than the cat... I think you're selling your engine short, could be alot meaner and still pass the test. If it comes down to a visual test you could mock up EGR functionality with the other intakes I would think... Or you could at the very least go with some upgraded TPI parts on there...

Last edited by Ray87Z; 03-21-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:16 PM

90% of the time when a guy is cocky and talking so much trash he isn't as fast as he claims he is. I don't think he is running 13.9's anyway but i still think he's a BSer

It's the guys who are quiet and humble that you need to watch out for! (hint hint! )
Old 03-21-2003, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Ray87Z
I think the Stang will win handily. Number one you're choking the heck outta your engine with the stock TPI setup, and then you go with 200 cc heads. Talk about a mismatch. And you mention emissions, but for crying out loud the cam you list is mild for even a near stock 350, much less a 383 (at least it will work semi decently with the stock TPI intake, but that doesn't say much).

I'm curious as to why you've selected that small of a cam (not much bigger than the one I put in my 305...), and why you aren't interested in some intake options like the Stealthram or a converted LT1 intake? We have fairly strict emissions here with a two stage dyno test, and I pass with a hotter cam (XE262, decent but still mild...), a freakin carb, and no emissions devices other than the cat... I think you're selling your engine short, could be alot meaner and still pass the test. If it comes down to a visual test you could mock up EGR functionality with the other intakes I would think... Or you could at the very least go with some upgraded TPI parts on there...
Now am I just reading u as snitty?? Or u just a jerk? Get up on the wrong side of the bed?? Never claimed I would have a perfect setup for the race. I listed what I would have done come race day not what I wish I would have or what I will still upgrade. Come on man no need to be rude. I know the stock TPI is killing my system, but thats how far I have gotten on my upgrades. If I can save up enuff to do more then I will but for now thats all I will have. I am not made of money, one step at a time. Who ever said I wasnt interested in the Mini Ram or Stealth Ram???? Want to state something more obviose with my T-5 be'n stock?? I'm working on that too. Tell me some stuff I dont know for cry'n out loud!

As for the heads every dealer/mechanic I have talked to said they would work great. If u think they wont be, fine but at least be polite about it. Maybe explain Y? But turns out I wont be getting them as they're back ordered for at least a month. Gotta make a new selection.

Now as for Cam, it was there technicians at Comp Cam's that reconmended that cam after our discussion over the phone. I have to drive that car a min of 2hours a day just for work plus my own leasure time as its my only set of wheels. So gasmilage is a factor with the emisions. In a couple years I might go bigger but for now thats what I got.

I am not after the fastest car on the block award, the 305 even had me smiling. I am not dissing your upgrades so back up off mine! I asked for a prediction of a race and listed what I would have done for it to give u guy's a chance to take a guess. U claim he will hand it to me, well thats the only bit of info I wanted out of your mouth.

CamaroFreak406 sorry but I did state all I know of "N02" is from the movies. I will try and use that over NoS from now on. Didnt know it made a difference.

Mustang5L5 thanx for the warning,

Talk about nailing some insults to an question Take it easy on me please. Not like I am bragging on how fast I will be. lol

Last edited by Hawk92z-TDZ; 03-21-2003 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by mustang1/4
good point, most people say NOS meaning Nitrous Oxide System.
There are many more components in a N02 system than just a juice bottle and a few hoses. If you dont have all the right components your just wasting your money and burning your pistons.

Anywayz rape that damn trash-talkin, stang-drivin punk!!
Hehe, I will try. All I can do is give it all I got.

He said he was putting some kit in that would cost him $800, all I know.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:18 PM

Hawk, what about going with a set of 180cc heads? They will match your setup better. Did you order the Pro Lightnings from enginekits.com? Good luck with the race!!

~Gary
Old 03-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 94 Z28
Engine: LT1 w/ headers, catback, CAI, tune
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.23s
What exactly did I say that was rude? I said I think he will win, and why, and asked why you've choosen the setup you have which was mismatched, added my experiences with cams and emissions compliance, and left it at that.

For the heads, I thought I made it fairly clear that the 200cc ports were way big for a stock TPI setup, thus the major mismatch comment. With your given drivability and emissions priorities that is poor choice IMO.

I misread your initial comment about you knowing the cam was small but were going to run it anyway to include the stock TPI, so I was asking exactly why that was...

I suppose my "for crying out loud" and "freakin" comments might have come off as rude, was just trying to stress you were going overly small in your quest for emissions and driveability IMO. You can achieve that without sacrificing soo much power, especially with the 383 that is more forgiving of the cam and such...

Sorry you feel somehow threatened by comments about future mods you said you were are trying to get done... It's your car, have at it by all means.

Last edited by Ray87Z; 03-22-2003 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:15 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by 406TA
Hawk, what about going with a set of 180cc heads? They will match your setup better. Did you order the Pro Lightnings from enginekits.com? Good luck with the race!!

~Gary
I called them, summit and Proshaver and someother place I cant remember at the moment and they all told me that the heads were back ordered for at least amonth So I started reconsidering the 190cc AFR's I was origanaly thinking on except for price ""eek"" darn dear. Gunna have to tighten up the old belt to aford aset this summer.

I talked to the 5.0's younger brother today. lol He told me he raced his brothers mustang with his 3.1 cavaler and took him in first, held him in second and still put up a fight in third. So much for wooping a Stealth eh Then again they both could be full if it.

406TA thanx for wishing me luck, any guesses on race outcome?
Old 03-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Ray87Z

I suppose my "for crying out loud" and "freakin" comments might have come off as rude, was just trying to stress you were going overly small in your quest for emissions and driveability IMO. You can achieve that without sacrificing soo much power, especially with the 383 that is more forgiving of the cam and such...

Sorry you feel somehow threatened by comments about future mods you said you were are trying to get done... It's your car, have at it by all means.
Dude U came off very rude, expesialy with the "for crying out loud" and "freakin" comments.

Threatened isnt the problem. If u got some advise by all means give it to me, but be polite and explain Y. I have never taken any auto mechanics classes. This is my first major enigine job I have done myself. Yes to me this is major. Every other time I have had someone else do everything. I have started from scratch and am learning alot but still some things I got no clue what U mean. How was I too know that 200cc was such a missmatch, with everyone I have asked sofar they said they would do fine. Your the first to tell me other wise. But then everyone else knew I was gunna upgrade my stock TPI intake setup soon as I can and took that into consideration. I thought that changing the 305 TPI would be a sort of given.
I will also be charging the car eventualy, thats Y the 72cc or 74cc ports to keep my compression down. One step at a time, trying to do each step right the first time. Even if it means temporarily mismatching for abit. Would U like to reconmend a cam size for the future? Since its such abig deal to ya, I am kinda of curious as to what U would want me to go? Remember I am a SD car. With no place to drive the car onto a dyno and get a custom chip burned. I have yet to be able to find a place that will do it in Ontario. Leaves me with mail in chips.

Anyways back to origanal question, Who U guy's think would win??
Old 03-22-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 350 firebreathing inches of Small Block Chevrolet
Transmission: A 700R4 that has trouble handling the formentioned 350.
Originally posted by Hawk92z-TDZ

CamaroFreak406 sorry but I did state all I know of "N02" is from the movies. I will try and use that over NoS from now on. Didnt know it made a difference.
Sorry about kind of jumping down your throat but people call it NOS all the time and I was raised that NOS meant New Old Stock and the term NOS is wrong. I guess I just snapped and couldn't take it anymore.

If half of what this guy says he has is true let me save you some time and hand you your *** right now.

But Good Luck, Garrett
Old 03-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Supreme Member

First off a 13.9 with just gears on an auto would be an awesome time and although it isn't 100% impossible (very lightweight in perfect conditions) I doubt this guy would even come close.

You should take him pretty good in my book from what you have told us.

PS, a 302 Ford small block can take a 150 shot. I have seen 225 shots done on 150,000 mile 302s and although I assume it did blow up at one point, the whole day Isaw it it was running 11s on a stock motor and doing it pretty easily! All roged internals will let you do nie things and take the abuse pretty good.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Thanx 5.0mustang, lol
Being how U own a 89 Mustang LX, I will defenetly beleive U know what your talknig about.

U guy's notice the Mustang owners think I got him but the F-Body owners think he has me. Ironic, eh. Just thought that was kinda funny.

As Irony continue's a fellow approuched me today laughing asking if I was to be ****'s next victom. Thinking I was about to get trash talked again I decided to get cockey and yip'd back no chance in hell. But the guy kept laughing and said he was the guy that sold the other guy his gears. He said the guy is running a bone stock 302 with 1 1/2" headers, a shift kit and the 3.73's. He also told me that he's been in the car on many occasions and that he would guess it at mid to low 14's. This fellow also show'd me pics of his Mustang. I gotta aimit it was sweet looking. Fancy wings, groud effects and some #'s up by the lights. He said it was rare. Show'd me time slips of 12's also. This guy seemed like a good sh*t. He was polite and seemed to know his stuff. We yap'd for almost 2 hours. He thinks I should be able to take him too, with no N02 involved. He also chalanged me, but in a funny way. We both laughed as he knew, I know and all u guy's know my car isnt no were near the 12 mark.

Thanx for your input guy's, in a month or so I will wake up this old thread and let ya's know what happen'd.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:10 PM

Hawk, If you plan on changing the heads and the TPI setup, then I think you should ugrade the cam too. With your current setup, the cam you have should be fine. Don't the stock TPI's run out of steam around 4500rpm's anyway?

Anyway, concerning the heads, if you can't get the Pro Lightnings, take a look at the Trick Flow 23* heads. They are direct replacements for the standard sbc are emissions legal, and flow very well. The AFR's you are talking about are awesome but pricey ($1200+). goautocenter.com has an ad in the back of CHP Magazine for the Trick Flow heads at $400 each(complete). You could use the $400 or so you saved on a new cam and FI setup. I have the Comp. XE274 cam in my 406 sbc and love it! Plenty of power right up to 5500rpm's (as high as I've had it) and great idle. You could even go with the XE268 cam with the new heads/FI and kick some a**!!

Another option is to call Harold at Ultradyne Cams and ask for his opinion on your cam choice (he recommends cams all the time at teamchevelle.com). Harold is the owner/cam designer and used to be the cam designer at Comp. Cams. I can get you his ph # if you need it.

BTW, I think you'll take the Stang. The guy sounds like a BS'er to me! Good luck!

~Gary
Old 03-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

Thanx 406TA, I'll check out them heads.
When I first was looking at cams I was thinking of the XE262 and the XE268 but decided on the smaller XE256 after talking to the comp cams rep. I still wonder if I made the wrong choice sometimes but the choice was made so now I deal with it. Once I get everything else finished and set up then I think I will change the cams.
I am not even sure what to go for intake right now. The little research I have done sofar hasnt show'd any particular intake better then any other. The Edelbrock intake and runners in Summit look kinda kool, so does SLP's runners. I like the stock look but also like the SuperRam and the Mini Ram. My ultimate goal is to charge the car so MiniRam would probly be the best way to go. But that wont be for a couple years and alot can happen between now and then.
I would be interested in talking to Harold at Ultradyne Cams sometime to see what he would suggest. I just think it will be another year untill I get enuff money to change cams again and get the Intake setup. Plus after paying for the cam I would like to get atleast a years worth of use out of it hehe

Thanx for the vote of confidence on the race, and thanx again for the advice.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Supreme Member

Ok, we finaly raced. 3 times, Once from a stop and twice from a roll.
Eat him alive on the rolling races but he got the jump on me from the lights (traction) and I had to play catch up. I did catch up and pass him farly easy. At least I shut him up at work finaly

I got a traction problem I gotta clear up, thing will lay rubber in first no matter how fast I am going. Sweet for showing off but bad for racing. It even lay's twin 6 foot patches of rubber going into 4th. I find that kinda cool.

Congrats out to those who thought I would win.

P.S. I ended up going with the 190cc AFR heads. Next year when I get the new intake and runners I think I will switch to a roller cam also. Gunna try and stay with a stock look except for the charger.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:41 AM

Awesome job Hawk!! I bet it feels good to shut that guy up, huh?!? Your car is going to be a monster with those AFR heads, roller cam and new intake!! You need to get some better tires for the back though. If you drive the car quite a bit get a set of Nitto Drag Radials because they will last longer than the BF Goodrich DR's. Or you could get a set of Hoosier QT Pros or M/T ET Streets and mount them on a spare set of wheels to use for racing. Don't skimp on tires, you need them!
Old 05-24-2003, 10:02 AM
Supreme Member

Thanx and ya, Shutting that guy felt way better then I can put into words on this board

Thanx for the tip on the tires, gunna price them out and grab a set.
Old 05-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1992 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305CID (LB9)
Transmission: World Class T5
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt, 4.10 gears
Nice job. Way to shut that guy up. That stuff feels good. I recently asked a guy to race me. He has a Honda Prelude he's always going on about.

His response "Not until I get my NaWzzz installed!" I told him I'd race him anyway for the fun of it. He still will not race me. So I gave up on it.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:23 PM

Car: 93 Mustang GT
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: T-5
For comparison. My 89 LX AOD with just catback, and cold air ran a lousy 15.54@92.4 with stock 2.73's my system and 17" rims. My 60ft were in the 2.4's from the bog off the line! I sold the car and the guy that bought it instlled 4.10's and put the stock 15" rims back on...he rana 14.5@96 I think after that. He has a mid to high 14 second car would be my guess. My GT ran a 14.90@94 with pulleys and K&N, thats when AOD still..all else stock and it has 3.27's.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:23 PM

lmao, u didnt just beat him u smoked him. So when u gunna race Joe's Accord?
Old 05-24-2003, 11:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Mustang
Engine: Bolt Ons
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: 3.73
If he did have a stick and a 150 shot with slicks then you have an 11 second car! With those mods a 5.0 will pull easy 12.4s or less! Good running car you have there!
Old 05-25-2003, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by FastEddy85z-TDZ
lmao, u didnt just beat him u smoked him. So when u gunna race Joe's Accord?
Prolly wont be this year, as with the layoff I got no way of gettnig ahold of him. Besides I think he will smoke me.

25thmustang If he did have a stick and a 150 shot with slicks then you have an 11 second car! With those mods a 5.0 will pull easy 12.4s or less! Good running car you have there!
They were Mickey ET's Street tires and I think he was full of it with the N02 because I never herd him hit it and he wouldnt show me under the hood. If he really had the N02 I am sure he would of beat me. I havnt tracked my car yet but the few peeps I have taken for a drive think its got easy 12's with traction. Gunna find out this summer for sure.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Mustang
Engine: Bolt Ons
Transmission: Stock
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Prolly wont be this year, as with the layoff I got no way of gettnig ahold of him. Besides I think he will smoke me.

They were Mickey ET's Street tires and I think he was full of it with the N02 because I never herd him hit it and he wouldnt show me under the hood. If he really had the N02 I am sure he would of beat me. I havnt tracked my car yet but the few peeps I have taken for a drive think its got easy 12's with traction. Gunna find out this summer for sure.
Sounds good man! Nice run. I bet he didnt spray you, but did he have the 5-speed in?
Old 05-26-2003, 11:56 PM
Supreme Member

Ya, but he claims the syncro's are going so he couldnt power shift. I beat him by like several car lengths, power shifting wouldnt of made any diference. But 150shot of N02 sure would of
Old 05-31-2003, 02:19 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '83 Z28, '07 Charger SRT8
Engine: 454ci, 6.1 Hemi
Transmission: TH350, A5
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi, 3.06 posi
Ya, but he claims the syncro's are going so he couldnt power shift.
Good kill :hail:

What he says about the synchos could be right, 'cuz my Z28 has the same problem going into 2nd from both 1st and 3rd... but I just think he's full of it
Old 05-31-2003, 07:53 AM

Car: 93 Mustang GT
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: T-5
When my clutch cbale was screwed up I had to granny shift and ran a best of 14.34@99 with a 14.9@96 (missed 3rd) and a 15.6@87 (missed 2nd,3rd,and gave up!). Fixed clutch cable and ran a 13.80@100.3, 13.88@100.9,13.81@101.0 .So shifting makes a huge difference if you can't shift as fast.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

My friends syncro's are gone in his 85Z, it makes all kinds of grinding noises and spits it out of gear on him once and awile.

This guy's sounded find. He was just making excuses, Y would u put in a bad tranny after all? That trany was only in the car for a week before we raced. He has since been beat by a 14.5 sec Talon and a almost stock 88 LX 5-Speed. He told the talon that he lost because he spon the tires too much and he's accusing the other stang owner of using his nawzzzz even though the bottle wasnt hooked up let alone the fact that it was empty.

Either way I am done with this clown, when he open's his mouth I just laugh and ask him how my tail lights look

I might have a race with a fast Accord that I will be ask u guy's input on soon. This guy's at least pretty nice and straight forward. He even show'd me some of his old dyno sheet's.