Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Fun in TGP

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun in TGP

Well I had gone over to a friends house to watch MIBII since he rented it. After that we wasted some time, and then decided to go cruising. Took his TGP since he has not taken it out in awhile. One of the only decent weekends we have had in awhile.

So we head out down the strip, spot a few cars, really do not catch that many lights, grab a bite to eat. He wanted to head home, but I told him that I would give him 50 cents if he goes down the strip one more time. He says okay, and he heads off to Wal-Mart to turn around. Well we had spotted a r^iced out Cavalier going straight, black paint, blue interior light, blue liscence plate cover, fart can, altezzas and a huge white Chevy bow-tie with a "Corruption Racing" banner below it in the back of his window. So we turn around at Wal-Mart and get into the turn lane, and guess who we get behind? The Cavalier. This is a little weird, must have hit no lights and swung around I assumed. So we are behind the Cav and we tail him for a distance not getting any lights, traffic starts to thin out, and we get beside him at a light with a car in front of both of his. For some reason he waited for the truck in front of him to go, then he tried to show off by accelerating really quick, but he did not get very far.

Well, after a few secs of the light changing the car in front of us turns off, and my friend nails it, and gets in front of the SUV, he was doing about 55 or so, and this red Cav that had been behind us flies up on his side like it wants to race. My friend slows down because there had been a State Trooper a little bit ahead with radar 20 mins prior, but was not there anymore. So my friend had slowed down, the red Cav cuts us off, then the r^iced Cav gets in the other lane and starts to f^ with the red Cav trying to showoff. This goes on with 2 SUVs flying up behind the black Cav, we got into the left lane behind the black Cav. We get ready to turn off at our normal turn around spot, the black Cav was in the turn lane, when we were approaching the light when it starts to change, we were behind a SUV about go get into turn lane, when light changes. The SUV gets in the turn lane, the black Cav cuts out of the turn lane and in front of us, beside the red Cav. This should be interesting I said. Well it was like this: left lane was black Cav, us, then SUV, right lane was the red Cav, and some guy in a blue Explorer that had some exhaust work that was trying to race.

Time to bust out the KY Jelly. Light turns, the Cavs chirp their tires, and the Explorer truies to race. The Cavs were a little bit ahead so it was the Explorer actually racing us, we rape him pretty bad out of the hole, and the black Cav had pulled a car or two on the red Cav by 40, and the red one gave up, so we get ahead of the red one and get beside the black one. We are at about 45 or so now, the black Cav is still accelerating, and we go WOT. We pass the r^icer like he is sitting still, by 65 we are 3 cars on him, and get into his lane.

He hangs back of course. Well we are turning around into a gas station, when the black Cav blows by doing 55+ racing the Explorer, and the red Cav was turning other way. The girl in back driver side seat, was looking over at me, and I start waving at her, she smiles, and I start pointing at the driver, after a min she taps the driver on his shoulder and he looks over. I roll the window down, point at him and start laughing, he looked very pissed at this time, because the chick had started laughing . Was a pretty fun night.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:47 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounded like an excellent night!! good stuff!
Old 12-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dumb question: What's a TGP?

Third Gen Pontiac?
Old 12-15-2002, 05:08 PM

Not really a dumb question. Turbo Grand Prix. My freinds is a 90.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:13 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Monte Carlo SS...
Engine: T.P.I L98.
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3:73 Posi
Hey BigErns90IrocZ. I'd be carefull! Don't think all those Cavaliers are really slow. You run into a Z24 with a pepped up Quad 4 and you may be seeing tailights yourself. A freind of mines Berretta GTZ does consistant 13.60's all day. They are pretty fast little cars, and if you car is stock. You may lose. I'm not trying to ruin your fun, just giving you some insite, that's all.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:57 PM

Cav's with Quad-4s are the older generations. He's talking about the 4thgens [the ones that are more roundish].

That Beretta must have some extensive work on it. I've seen a 12 second Quad-4 Grand Am before, crazy.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:00 AM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Chaotic Firehawk
Cav's with Quad-4s are the older generations. He's talking about the 4thgens [the ones that are more roundish].

That Beretta must have some extensive work on it. I've seen a 12 second Quad-4 Grand Am before, crazy.
I think you had better look at the new Cavaliers Z24 and Sunfires GT then. They only come with 2.4l which is a Quad!
Old 12-16-2002, 08:15 PM

Quad-Four was 2.3L. The new Cavs and Sunfires come with a 2.2L. The Z-24 replacement, whatever it is, had a 2.2 Eco-Tech engine. The car still can not bust high 14's. The 5-spd Quad-Fours are few and far between, and if I am in my car(in sig, we riding in my friends TGP at the time) I think I can hang with quite a few cars on the street. And if that is not enough I am saving up for a 383 stroker, so that will make things easier.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:27 PM
Supreme Member

I guess we are both right kinda. The brand new Cavaliers don't have the quad. Doesn't look like they make the Z24 anymore. But teh Z24 model was made up to 98 for sure anyway, and it is more the newer model style and did come with the Quad. and a 5spd. DOn't really matter unless these car were the brand spanken new ones, which we don't know. Oh well, we're both right. Just on different levels.
Old 12-16-2002, 08:31 PM
Supreme Member

Not trying to rub it in here, but.... Here the rounded style Z24 with a "2.4L" Quad. See it to belive it. Sorry I had to. Don't be mad, just look at it as you learned something today. That's all.
Attached Thumbnails Fun in TGP-13-pz24-z24_engine_daytime_front_2.jpg  
Old 12-16-2002, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member

If I remember right, this one run 13's too!
Old 12-16-2002, 08:59 PM

yeah? well all i have to say is that im all for the turbo grand-prix, those came with the 3.1 MPFI with a fairly decent turbo on it, he wouldent have to do much to get that thing blowing away quite a few sports cars

anything with a turbo charger has potential BTW good kills
Old 12-16-2002, 09:41 PM

**wiping tears away from eyes**I am sorry. I checked Kelley Blue Book and they listed the Quad Four as a 2.3L. I wouldnt mind to have one of those suckers, make one hell of a sleeper. Too bad they cant make an engine like that to put in the Metro or something.

Yeah the TGP is a nice car. Supposed to run 15.3's or so. With a chip alone it is common to see mid 14's with them.