Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Crazy idea i got last night,kinda has to do with street racing,and it is theoretical!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 baby!!!
Transmission: stock 700r4
Crazy idea i got last night,kinda has to do with street racing,and it is theoretical!

~~ok i dont know how long this will last here,but it does have to do with street racing,and it is a good topic.i just want ideas/feedback here,so Mods if you could keep this open for a little bit i would appreciate it!!~~

Ok last night about 1 am Im watching tv and had this crazy idea that I think I might just try to pursue.Ok to start things off we all know that street racing is a big problem in the States,and it just seems to be ever growing and unfortunately ever more unsafe.And I think that we all know the main reason for this:the lack of tracks that are accessible to the average street racer.I know that I could be considered one of the lucky ones in the fact that I have a track thats only 45 minutes from me.Just long enough to where its a burden to get out there.Alot of kids dont want to drive the 45 minutes out to the track just to race a few times.There are a few reasons for this.
-One of the biggest is the fear of breaking something on your car that could leave your car stranded at the track.If you are NOT one of the lucky ones to have acces to a trailer,then you could end up paying some pretty steep towing prices just to get your baby home.I know around here there are quite a few kids using nitrous and alot of turbo cars that do have a good risk of breaking.and we all know that if something bad can happen,it will,and at the worst possible time .
-Another reason to deny a trip to the track is the fear of weather.I know its happened to me and many others.You get out to the track,possibly make a run or 2,and BOOM here comes the rain.So theres your $10 or more entrance fee and whatever money you spent on gas and food all down the drain because your local weatherman cant get the damn forecast right.
-One other reason is that fear that lingers in our minds before we even get out to the track."How many people do you think are going to be there on this GORGEOUS saturday night??" And sure enough you arrive and theres what seems to be 200 cars there to share the pits,staging lanes,and TRACK with you.I know this also happens to all of us.Sure its fun to go to the races and see alot of the big boys play in their big ol' honkin hot rods.In fact i know i LOVE it.But the fact is that sometimes I just want to go and race my own car.And I want to do it more than 3 times in a night.But alot of times this just isnt possible due to the fact there are about 10 different classes that have to run,with what seems to be 50 cars in each class.I remember one time I went to the track and got 2 runs in because it was sooo packed.Total waste of my time and money.
Ok well hopefully you've made it this far.I'll try and get to the point right now.My idea is to try and somehow get a track opened up around where I live,in Rochester NY.Hopefully within 20 minutes or less of my general area,which is,luckily for me and others where I live,where a HUGE majority of Rochester's street racing scene gathers.And why did I post this here you are probably asking?Well all I really want is an opinion from everyone here on this idea.Do you think it could be pulled off successfully?Or will I be laughed at profusely by the same people that want street racing to stop all by itself?I would really love to try and make this happen.I am not an advocate of the Anti Street Racing Brigade,nor am I an advocate of street racing.Although I admit that I am guilty of it.Sometimes it happens.You see someone on the street,someone challenges the other,and its on.And hopefully its done in a somewhat safe manner,like only racing up to 40 or so.But there is also alot of street racing matches that are setup hours before the race itself.And then its taken to a spot that hopefully the cops wont find out about or just wont happen to find that particular time.If youre lucky.If youre not,youre more than likely screwed.Huge fines,cars impounded,and even having your license revoked being a consequence in drastic cases.And as we all know,sometimes the result ends up being something you cant help.Death.One word,one time,cant change it.We lose friends and family.We feel guilty because we know we could have changed what happened.What I want to do here is take an action and actually change these terrible things before they happen.I want to make a place where we can race safely and legally,with the only consequence being maybe our own pride being taken away because that turbo civic actually beat me.Or I knew I should have cut a better light.Or I new I shouldnt have dumped my clutch that high.Simple things that CAN be changed around.Two nights later when the track is open again.
So,what do you guys here think?
Old 11-22-2002, 02:24 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
Go for it!! The hardest thing to deal with is liability. There are also probably some state required safety things (maybe the track will need an ambulance on site or something). There are alot of hidden costs when it comes to this kind of stuff. I've been toying with the same idea for a while. But instead I would like to build a drift course in the mountains here in Hawaii. So the 1/4 mile guys can keep their 1/4 mile track nice and we can make tire marks all over the drift course and its cool.

It will be hard but you can find strength in numbers. Pass out flyers to all the street racers and try to have a meeting. See what everyone in the community wants or thinks. When you have alot of people working towards a goal like this, its alot easier to accomplish.

The problem with a drift course (my idea) is that there are only around 20-30 hard core guys. Hard to justify cost (in an investors mind anyway). You shouldnt have that problem because it sounds like alot of people want to race there.

Last edited by CrazyHawaiian; 11-22-2002 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Formula
Engine: 355 DFI Superram w/ R-Trim
Transmission: Probuilt 700r4
All it takes is a willpower and lots of money. If you have both, then there's no reason you cant build a track. It takes a LOT of money to afford the liability insurance aside from just maintaining the track, equipment, crew, and safety systems.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:43 PM

Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: L03 305 baby!!!
Transmission: stock 700r4
i have thought about alot of the costs involved,and definetely would try and get the local volunteer ambulance involved.im sure i would have to anyways.theres a firehouse pretty mush 5 minutes from anywhere you are,so thats covered.the liability i know would be tough to get,but i figure that theres gotta be some way to have the state help me out with this.i mean im proposing something here to help make the streets safer,kids safer,and families together.and i know i would be able to get the support of nearly everyone around here that has an interest in racing.the cops keep finding the racing spots,and we cant gather anywhere because they always break it up.i dont blame them,because it almost always turns into a "ok lets get out of here and do some racing!" when everyone leaves.im thinkin about talking to the IHRA or NHRA to see if there is any way to get some kind of cantioning deal goin.and of course theres the sponsor idea.i would DEFINETELY try and get some atleast local companies to sponsor.stuff like parts stores and install shops.even body shops.i really think im going to try and get this goin.im gonna be bored this winter,why not give myself a challenge!!
Old 11-22-2002, 05:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
Anyone see HP TV a few weeks ago. This old guy has his own track in KY. $6 for racing and has a sign, race at your own risk. People seem to love it.
Old 11-22-2002, 06:07 PM

Yeah im about to be one of the luckey ones, see we live on a big *** farm and near the back thears about a mile of field my dad owns. He also owns a heavy machine compney that dose work for the state like pavein roads and all kinds of stuff. So I talked him into pavein me about 1/4 so me and my friends can race safley, he told me if thats the onley place I race he will do it make a divider and buy me some stagein lites. So ill let you guys know how progress goes.

Old 11-22-2002, 06:11 PM

I was also thinking about this.The closest track to me is gateway international.Which is about an hour drive.And is ussually packed anyway.There used to be an 1/8 mile track 10 minutes from my house but it flooded.

I have personaly seen crazy amounts of racers gathered at one place.The cars where crazy also.Completly unsafe envirment.The thing is we keep it low key in remote area's.The police are non thw wiser as to the size of the problem.Now they maybe I am not sure.It seems like they would step it up a bit.(And they have.They have a 4th gen t/a undercover now on the streets)

The thing is let's say I go to the city board.I tell them that we need to get a track going.Then basicly I just told them the problem is larger than what they know it is.Then the police crackdown on it alot harder than they are already are.We don't get a track and we all get busted.

So there is a good side and a downside to everything.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:01 PM

Lucky for me, the local track (in Vegas) is only about 10 minutes away. But before I moved to Nevada, the closest track was like 3 hours away.

Tim:rockon:
Old 11-23-2002, 12:10 AM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Mark A Shields
Anyone see HP TV a few weeks ago. This old guy has his own track in KY. $6 for racing and has a sign, race at your own risk. People seem to love it.
i saw that!!

but i agree tracks should be close enough so everyone can enjoy and only take 20 to 30 miuntes to get to..

however, street racing is most likely not going to stop..
Old 11-23-2002, 01:39 AM
Supreme Member

www.hrracing.com
they have had a topic of starting a 1/4 mile track in my area.
there are about 3-million people in my area and no track to go to. there is a huge import scene in VA beach. the strip is always over crowded with people crusing up and down it all night long, most are imports. up where I am at (newport news) the domestic scene is bigger (so I am told, I've never crusied, always doing other things) mostly the domestic scene is 4th gen f-bodys and mustangs.
anyway they say the start up would be like 7-9 mil for a 1/4 mile track.
from what I remember Rochester NY is a crowded area (i used to be from NJ) and land would be more $$$
If I wanted to go the closest 1/4 it is in richmond raceway and that is about 1 1/2 away.
biker
Old 11-25-2002, 01:18 AM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
time, money and insurance are tough enemies to building a race track.....

there is a far worse one, and the sole reason that there are not more tracks....

whiny baby bitches...

the biggest problem is people that live in the town where a supposed track is to be built....cause everyone that doesnt care about cars or racing is going to be vehemently opposed to it. and then there are zoning laws on top of it. its ridiculous how whiny and gay people are, but thats the problem
Old 11-25-2002, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: Check The Sig
etown is like that. for thoes that have been there or live in NJ... they know that parts of old bridge are upper middle class... the funniest thing to me is when i was going to the Matco Supernats, you could probably hear the dragsters screaming! noise ordances and stuff like that will hurt the track. the good thing about etown, is that there is air port right next store... funny to watch cars go faster then the planes takin off! i would like to see a track in Conn. Now that i am up here for college, i miss having a track to go to every friday night. I have seen Conn. Its nothing but farms... well most of New England is kinda empty, i dont understand y there wouldnt be one.... i know there is some place in New Hamp. but thats wayyyyyy far.... im not a big fan of 2 hr drives to nowhere land.... lets put one in Conn! or Mass!
Old 11-25-2002, 03:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: F1R Procharged 383
Transmission: Tremec 600
Axle/Gears: moser 12 bolt, 4.11's 33 spline axl
well al my friend, your right, there is alot open space up here in parts of new england....the problem is (especially massachusetts) that the population is largely extreme liberal. so basically its filled with tree-hugger little *** c*ck knockers. and they come out in droves to protest and vote it down everytime someone wants to build a race track