Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

A new story (LONG!!!!!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A new story (LONG!!!!!!!)

It was a 1986 chevy camaro.His first love.His passion.His dreams.All combined in one.It had problems.For some reason he saw something other's didn't.I don't know if it was wanting to be able to go run with the guys that dragged on the highway next to my house or what.I longed for a quick car.

So I waited.I fixed up a 1984 chevy truck to be my daily driver/street brawler.It had a 350 4 bolt main.With a steel crank.The cylinders where punched .060 over.I built her with cast pistons because I was a budget.The heads where just regular sbc heads that I ported.An edelbrock performer intake sat atop those heads.A holley 650 sat on top of that.The truck rolled on some steel wheels with mickey thompson Indy profiles on the rear.I earned respect with that truck.Everyone knew that it ran decent.I would run it every chance I got.Not to brag but I can't remember a time where I lost.

The truck was great.There was something missing though.Something I couldn't catch on to at the moment.Now that I think about it I guess it was the fact that my dream never became a reality.So when I was 19.A few buddies and I began work on her.We tore it her down and replaced the qauters,We installed larger fender wells.I bought a 9 inch from the junkyard and attached it to the car with a Chris alston 4-link.She wore wildwood disk all the way around.And rolled on 33/18.50/15 goodyear slicks.The front end got addressed with koni drag struts,V6 springs,new bushings and all new steering components including a manual steering box from an s-10.

Since the car was just a sport coupe they added ground effects.And a spoiler.I painted her white like the original color.The day we pushed it out of the shop was a joyous event.

The car had no heart though.Nothing to make it move.I kept driving my truck until I could get some more money saved up.The camaro was waiting in garage under a tarp.Well eventually I got enough money to buy a GMPP 502 short block.The short block arrived and again I waited.I eventually bought some Trick flow R-series aluminum heads.She also got a bigger cam.And 1.7 ratio roller rockers.On top of the edelbrock victor intake was a King demon setup for alcohol.I mated it to the driveshaft through a TCI built powerglide.With a neal chance 8 inch convertor.

A couple of buddies of mine helped me put it in one day.We installed everything fairly easily.Over the next few weeks the car received many things.Like a fuel cell,roll cage,Auto meter gauges,All the typical drag car stuff.

The night when I finnaly fired her up I will never forget.She rumbled to life.Taking deep breath's and spitting them out through open exhaust.I let her idle in the garage while the cam broke in.That took a while.The thing that happened next was just awesome.I put her in gear and slowly drove her out onto the highway.There weren't any cars coming because it was 1 in the morning.I hit the line lock and heated the slicks up.I rolled up to the line that so many gearheads before had with adrenaline flowing and hearts racing.I hit the transbrake and brought the convertor up to stall.I released the brake and she took off like mad.I knew that the front tires had left the pavement.I shifted the manual valvbodied glide from low into high.The front end raised and never lowered.The tires where barely touching the ground.I let off.I took her back to my garage and let her cool off.

The next day was pretty bland.I washed the car.I went and picked up a 55 gallon drum of alcohol.I filled the fuel cell up.And I was ready to go.First I went out in my truck.I went down main street looking for the local guys.There was one car out that I knew.We caught a light togother.It was a 69 roadrunner.She had a 383 under the hood.Shifed through a 4 speed.Into a 4.10 geared,Detroit locked dana 60.The guy restored the car and loved to show her off.

Well I gave the nod and he did to.I reached down and pulled the lever to open the exhaust cutouts up.The exhaust released right after the headers.This got the guys attention.I brought the convertor up to its 3 grand stall and waited.The other lights in the intersection yellowed.The usual feeling that was so great came over me.The excitment,the rush,the rumble of the small block through open exhaust.The light flickered green.I let the brake loose and the truck grabbed and shot forward.The road runner was a fender up,on me.Then he pulled some more.He ended up beating me by 2 cars.What can I say I was crushed.This guy had beaten me.So we pulled into the gas station.I shook his hand.He told me that he had a car at home that was faster.It turned out to be another roadrunner.Only this car had a built 440 sitting in front of a lenco tranny.I told him about my camaro,and asked if he wanted to run tonight.He said sure why not.I told him give me an hour and to meet me back at this same spot.

Finnaly after all these years it was going to pay off.My car was going to get to run.Once I got home I called a few of my buddies and told them what was going on.They said they would be right over.So about 15 minutes later I hear a mild cammed small block coming.The chevelle pulls in my drive way and they all hop out.I told them where we where going to run and all the details.

I was nervous about driving the car through town on a Saturday night.A big cammed,big block through open headers.Is quite noticable.As are 18.50 slicks sitting under a car.When I arrived at the gas station I was shocked.There was a 69 roadrunner.Sitting on a 16 foot trailer.The car was perfect in every way.So I knew there was going to be money thrown down on this one.500 bucks was what it cost to get his car off the trailer he said.Well that was fine.I agreed.There was one thing though.We needed somewhere to run.We decided it would be best if we took the cars about 30 miles south.There was long stretches of flat highway down there.I told him that I would have to go get my trailer and take my car down that way.He said that it was fine.He was waiting for some freinds anyway.

Well Instead of driving the car back through town.I just took it to a close parking lot.And had one of my buddies stay gaurding her.We went and got my truck and trailer.Came back and loaded her up.Went back to the gas station where I notice another old plymouth.This time a duster 340.I knew this guy fairly well.He ran every weekend.He told me to be carefull.The guy was spraying.And it was alot.Now I was worried.I knew my car was quick.But this car just had the look to it.She looked mean.I gave the money to the guy in the duster.The other guy gave his money also.

We went down south and unloaded in a commuter lot.Just when I was shutting the door to my car I heard the most awesome sound ever.The road runner was alive.And it sounded mean as hell.She Loped and loped.Straining to turn over once more.But she did.I got back in my car and primed the fuel pump.Once she was ready I hit the button.The noise was as equally amazing.

We ran down the highway until a spot was found.A line was marked using orange spray paint.Another car had went and marked the ¼ mile mark.

I rolled up to the line and hit the linelock once again.The rear tires brooke loose.Sending smoke everywhere.I released the linelock and the car leaped forward.Like a mountain lion leaping for a rabbit.I had to back up to the line and wait.The roadrunner did his burnout.He to had to back up.The starter stood inbetween the 2 of us.He raised his arms and I hit the transbrake and brought the convertor up to stall.The motor was screaming like a Wild mountian lion.Giving warning to the roadrunner.I heard the 440 screaming also.My eye's where watching the muscles in the starters arms.As soon as they flinch the transbrake was released and the car launched perfectly.Onlookers said I almost touched the rear bumper.Other's say I did.The pedal never left wot though.The front end came down.The roadrunner was door to door,fender to fender.I shifted from low to high once again.The car was running perfect.Like the same mountain lion.It was chasing that rabbit.Staying with it so gracefully.Stride for stride.

By now my heart was in my throat.My car was running perfectly.Yet there was still this road runner right next to me.I had pulled on him by maybe a half a fender.My mind was wondering if he had sprayed yet or not.Had he released the nitrous yet?Not only was there a grand on the line.There was also my pride.Just then he heard what he feared the most.The distinct sound of N20 running through braided steel lines.Entering the combustion chambers and igniting.The roadrunner now growled more furios than ever.The car now accelerated by him.First it was 2 lengths.Than 3 than 4.He was still pulling.

What happened next will never leave my mind.The roadrunner swerved into the median at nearly 140mph.The resulting cloud of fire,dust and flying metal was an image that is a street racers worst fear.We where almost finished.Another 60ft and the roadrunner would have had me.But no.He had wrecked.I couldn't slow down fast enough.But I was the first to arrive.What once was a 1969 roadrunner.A racecar.A car that was the dreams of so many gearheads.Was now a burning hulk of twisted metal.The cage had held up decently.And by the grace of ***.The driver still had a pulse.

By now other people had arrived.And called the police.I was torn now.If I don't pull this guy out of the car.He has no chance.If I do though.he may live.I would probably go to jail.My car would be gone from me forever.The desicion was probably the hardest one I have ever made.I decided to do it though.When I got closer to the car The heat was almost unbearable.Something inside of me kicked in.I hadn't ever fealt this feeling before.Haven't felt it since that night either.It is hard to explain.Almost like a sence of being immortal.Being untouchable.By the time I pulled him from the burning car.The police had arrived.They took over from there.I thought this is my chance to get away.There is no way a cop car could ever catch my car.I stayed though.Don't know why but I did.The cop asked me some questions.And told me to stand over by my car.I did just as he asked.After the helicopter came and took the other racer away.The attention was now on me.I was handcuffed and takin to the station.They interagated me for what seemed like eternity.I went to Jail to stay the night or so I thought.I ended up going to jail for 4 years.The police used me as a dummy in a sence.To show what happens when they catch street racers.

The guy ended up living.He was paralyzed from the waste down.He now runs a Speedshop somewhere out west.We write on occasion and have become freinds.The day I was realeased from jail.I went home to my folks.I walked out to the garage and opened the door.No one had told me.That my car was impounded.My parents got it out though.I opened her door and sat in that seat.I began having flashbacks of that night.The night that changed my life.My dad walked through the door.And looked at me.He told me he had drained the fuel.And all she needed was some fresh oil and alcohol.I told him I didn't want to start it right then.I wasn't ready.

A couple weeks later I finnally got the nerve to do it.So I went and bought some fuel and oil.I changed everything.The moment I hit that button.And the big block came to life.The feeling had returned.This feeling I cannot describe to you.U have to feel it for yourself.U will know it when U feel it.It goes deeper than anything else ever has.It is what people live for.

Atleast I know that is what I live for.I will never street race again.After that night I promised myself that.I still have that car.Maybe one day I will race it on a track.But I doubt it.I have the memories of being young and in love.Not in love with a person.Not in love with a car.Something else.The adrenaline.Of pulling up next to a rumbling v8 and throwing some revs.Looking at the person in the opposite car.And knowing that they to are feeling the same feeling.That U are about to embrace in a ritual.That so many before U have also.

The feeling of street racing.

Last edited by 86budgetSC; 10-01-2002 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:48 PM

Car: 85 IROC
Engine: L-69 305
Transmission: T-5 manual
very nice man :rockon:

any of it true
Old 09-30-2002, 10:55 PM

nope nope.All came from my head.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:19 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 84z, 65 elcamino
Engine: l69 and a hyped up sbc in the camino
Transmission: t5 m21
Axle/Gears: 373s 411s
dat story is the **** rite there i give it 10 thumbs up if there is such a thing. can i use this for my english class
Old 09-30-2002, 11:22 PM

Well I doubt your teacher would know about cars enough to understand it.But I probably would have tried the same thing.

But why not
Old 10-01-2002, 12:17 AM

That's a great story. I think we have a writer here at third gen.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jocww
can i use this for my english class
Sitting from a gramatical standpoint, I would opt against using it for English class.

Good racing story in any event.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:41 AM

Haha Iroc22.I am workin on my grammer.I am horrible at it.

And while I have your attention.I know you are a moderator.DO U care if i post these stories.I don't want anyone mad at me.I like these furoms.So if anyone doesn't want me posting these I will stop.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2002, 12:47 AM
Supreme Member

I'm fine with these stories because they are on topic of street racing. Whether it's fictional or non-fictional, it's still street racing related. Even if other mods lock your stories, I'll open them back up.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ye, that was a good story. I was actually mad when you said they put you in jail for 4 years. I had to step back a second and realize you where making it up. You should have not let us know if it was true or not.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Excellent story. And, other than many grammatical errors, very well written.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:47 PM
Supreme Member

hey why dont you write some more stories they keep me intrested while im in class
Old 10-01-2002, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the replies.Last night I let my mom read it.She was impressed.I also let her read some of my other writings.My buddies also tell me that I can write pretty well.

Last night I was thinking before I went to bed.I am thinking about writing a book.Like 15 chapters at 5 pages a piece.It would take a long time.But Maybe I could it published.Then I could make some money.And make these dreams I am having a reality.

What do U guys think?
Old 10-01-2002, 01:53 PM
Supreme Member

naw man u dont want your dreams to become a reality cuz then you might just go to jail for 4 yrs and that would suck big time. but i think it would be tight to make a book. and when you do could you please just email me it.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:07 PM

Car: 1996 Camaro RS
Engine: v6
it came from the heart. thats all that matters

-fly
Old 10-01-2002, 02:16 PM

Well I am not going to let anyone read it until I am done.

It will be about being young and stupid,Cars,And girls.

Basicly everything a teenage boy thinks about.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:18 PM

Car: 1996 Camaro RS
Engine: v6
Originally posted by 86budgetSC
Well I am not going to let anyone read it until I am done.

It will be about being young and stupid,Cars,And girls.

Basicly everything a teenage boy thinks about.
lol how old are you budget?

-fly
Old 10-01-2002, 02:29 PM

I'm 17.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Supreme Member

me 2where u from
Old 10-01-2002, 05:57 PM

I'm from missouri.I live south of st louis.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

too far for me to come over to your house and steal your stories
Old 03-01-2004, 11:03 PM
Supreme Member

hey 86 is it ok if i use this in my college class i mean not all of it just some of it
Old 03-02-2004, 01:12 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 86 Berlinetta 84 MonteCL
Engine: 3.4 MPFI 3.8 229
Transmission: 700r4 T350
If i woulda been the guy in the story...

I woulda bailed . But, it really was awesome, great visualization.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:44 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: '86 T/A
Engine: 350/LT1 Intake
Transmission: 700R4 - Built
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42
Good story!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member

have you finished the book yet
Old 03-03-2004, 03:52 AM

Car: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Transmission: 5 speed
That was a great story! Keep them coiming!
Old 03-04-2004, 08:18 AM

Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350
not bad man, keep it up.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:57 AM

Car: Hugger Orange Camaro
Awesome story bro,... you told it pretty well I must say.DUECE
Old 03-04-2004, 11:17 AM
Supreme Member

Do you guys realize that this story was posted almost 2 years ago? I think this was the last story 86BudgetSC wrote on here. I havent seen him post on this board in over 6 months or more.

jocww is digging up threads from the grave
Old 03-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Base Firebird
Engine: TPI 350
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: D44
wow... 09-30-2002.... just under a month before i registered.... as mentioned many times earlier, the many grammatical errors could be revised.....

yet, a great story.... i thoroughly enjoyed it.....

cmon budget! come back from the dead! write sommore wicked *** stories!

Last edited by 90firebird; 03-05-2004 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
maybe I'll try my hand at writing one a little later, see if I can get yalls approval
Old 03-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by iroc22
Do you guys realize that this story was posted almost 2 years ago? I think this was the last story 86BudgetSC wrote on here. I havent seen him post on this board in over 6 months or more.

jocww is digging up threads from the grave
using my resources. hey finally cleared all the junk from around the model a and i got to sit it in it finally after 8 yrs of sitting in the garage. so hows urs doing
Old 03-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by jocww
using my resources. hey finally cleared all the junk from around the model a and i got to sit it in it finally after 8 yrs of sitting in the garage. so hows urs doing
Rolling chassis so far. Once my Dad finishes his 34 coupe then I'll have some garage space to work on it again. Also cam, intake, heads and exhaust on my IROC are priority too.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: A Portly 85 Z28
Engine: 4.530 X 4.250 BBC
Transmission: under rated for this application
Axle/Gears: also under rated
it`s funny, my car IS my first love! alway s was!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Supreme Member

model a is more important
Old 03-14-2004, 03:20 PM

Car: 1987 IROC, 1989 IROC
Engine: built 305, stock 305 tpi
Transmission: Corvette 700r4, t-5
Axle/Gears: 4.10 posi, 3.08 posi
that would be the coolest race ever to watch. And a 440 spraying that would have to be the fastest car ever (well not counting IHRA, NHRA, ect) unless it had a super charger to .
Old 08-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Supreme Member

Re: A new story (LONG!!!!!!!)

texas did you ever end up writing any stories?