Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

3.5SE Altima vs GTA

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.5SE Altima vs GTA

All I have to say is....wow! I was crusing last night and I saw these xeon lights in my side mirror when this car almost hit me from behind. So I get to the light and these guys rev up at me and its a brand new 3.5SE Altima standard tranny....so I hear these things run pretty quick....So there I am at the light waiting to turn left and I take off my signal and decide to run the guys, my car is at about 240 F cause the water pump is ****tin out, and I have a full tank of gas....the light turns green and they chirp the tires and got about 1 - 1 1/2 car jump cause I really didn't wanna race and before I knew it, I was on their ***....so we get to the next light not even 1/8mile down, and I pull up next to them and go..." damn man I thought that car actually had nuts" so I heard them yellin, so I put on my signal to turn left and the street is a 6 lanbe road I turn on, its pretty big and around 2:30AM so its empty, and I turn and I dont even floor it, then I see the Altima about a car behind me flooring it gettin ready to pass me, and I jump on the throttle and sure enough it had b*lls, he stayed on my door the whole time!!! I was like damn!!!! Pretty scarey there for a minute.....I wanna run them again when I tune up my car, get the headers and get some new tires! thats it for now....AARON
Old 09-16-2002, 01:10 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 84z, 65 elcamino
Engine: l69 and a hyped up sbc in the camino
Transmission: t5 m21
Axle/Gears: 373s 411s
they are gutsy i heard they can almost keepup witha s2000
Old 09-16-2002, 01:13 PM

They are pretty quick, but nothing we can't handle. I've taken a few already. Stix are obviously a little quicker. Headers and tb will help you if your worried.

Last edited by firebirdkid; 09-17-2002 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2002, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Even car mags (not normaly the fastest testers) pulled mid/low 14's with those things.

They are pretty much an even match for a L98 thirdgen. I know its scary to have a 4 door, comfortable, yuppie mobile keep up with your american muscle.

I bought my LS1 because of cars like that.

-Doug
Old 09-16-2002, 08:26 PM

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L 350 V8 TPI
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Ya and thats why i must mod my car to keep up with today's grocery cars. Pathetic aint it? I mean honestly guys, when i got my GTA i thought to myself, hey now i'm in alot better position on the road than my 93 Grand Prix. But really though, most cars out there can compete with me, grocery cars, economy cars, VANS! Sheeze its rediculous how times have changed and all these "family" cars make our third-gen look like nothing.

Nowadays u gotta be pushing 350HP+ just to be over the comfort level of all the stupid sedans and grocery cars, no joke. Thats the only reason i'm jealous of LS1 guys, they dont have to worry as much, but still even for them there still many sedans and family cars that give them runs to.

IMO i would of like car manufacturers to make sports cars, and muscle cars blow the **** out of any family car out there. That in no way would they even think of making a family car come close to making them as quick as sports cars. I mean, other than control and looks, why else would u buy a sports car, for SPEED. But then u buy one today, and what u know, that 60 year old grandma has a Grand Prix GTP that can take u in your third-gen....pathetic.....well probably not, if its a 60-year old grandma, but u get my point.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:34 PM

Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
Ya the six's are something to watch for, but the 4cyl cars make my LO3 rs look fast. Granted the one i race probably had 200lbs of stereo equipment, but still 3 carlengths in less than 1/4 miles (probably 1/8) running on plugs that were probably the originals and a plugged cat is more than enough compensation. Nice run (not sure if i can say kill since he held with ya).
Old 09-18-2002, 08:37 AM

Come on. We're talking about a 10-12 year technology gap here. New sports cars blow away new family cars. Old sports cars... well, they're old. Drop a few grand into your motor and you'll be a lot more comfortable. Few grand too much, you say? Have you seen the sticker price on those new v6 Altimas? You can't expect to keep up with today's technology with 12+ year old stuff. You're going to have to put some money into your 3rd gen if you want to keep up, and if you look at the overall picture, you'll see that you're still ahead of the game even when you do.

Sure, you can go buy a new LS1 fourth gen. Hell, I would if I could afford it right now. But I can't, so I'll do the next best thing, buy what money I can afford into my third gen. There's a certain pleasure in beating someone with a 14 year old car that you've put your own sweat and effort into that just isn't there with an off-the-lot new sports car.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:25 AM
MX265

There are a few reasons that most people race their 2nd and 3rd gens at the local tracks, such as Dixie Speedway. A few reasons might be they are easy to work on, stiff and dependable structure, decent handling for most racks and availablility of parts. I think the biggest reason though is the HP to Dollar ratio and ease of modification. With a reasonable amount of money and time, we can obtain a serious amount of HP. People are spending serious bucks trying to get HP out of some of the newer cars. When they go to modify or repair something, it is usually a PITA to get it done. On our 3rd gens, we pop the part out and throw in a new one. So yeah, a grocery car may be ahead of the game compared to a stock 3rd gen, but with a little effort, not many cars are going to find it easy to keep up with us.