Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

I hate cops. The street racing scene sucks now. WWTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate cops. The street racing scene sucks now. WWTF!?

I just wanted to vent my anger b4 i get into trouble somehow. The street racing scene used to be great around here. I live in MD., a little south of Baltimore. We used to go cruising, meet up in the parking lots in a city called Glen Burnie. Lots of ricers, but that's another story. We'd meet up and then go to an industrial park to race. Not anymore. The place got really built up so there's lots of traffic around. So then we went back to just cruising. Meet up at a McDonald's parking lot and chill. Now the cops run us out no matter where we go. It makes no sense to me. We're minding our own business and they kick us out. So what do we do? We go out onto the streets and the guys end up racing. Now what sense does that make? Wouldn't it be better if we were in the parking lot? It's gotten to the point where the State Police are going to be coming out and arresting anyone who is hanging out in parking lots. It sucks. Even people that are just out driving up and down the highway get followed. They've got police choppers and stuff that follow us around. It really blows. Is this happening everywhere? It's getting fristrating b/c it's getting hard to just go hang out with some car guys. They don't realize that not everyone is out there to race. I'll shut up now. Thanx for letting me vent.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:55 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
That's some BS there. If you were racin that would be another story, but not hangin out.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:57 PM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's
When I lived in Keedysville, Maryland (outside of Hagerstown a small bit) we used to race on Dual Highway. This was back in the dark ages when I bought my first 3rd Gen new (I'm an old 31 now). Anyway, we used to hang out at the McDonalds there and then set up to race all the time. Around '93 they really started cracking down and a lot of towns in that area had "No Cruise" laws, too. So, I know what you mean. We couldn't even hang out anymore at the McDonalds (the manager would call the police) or a cruiser from the local PD would see us and off we would go. Then we would hang out at a shopping mall there and the police would run us from there, too.

It's the way things are. Really, though, Mason-Dixon was only a hop, skip and step away.

I often wonder what the street scene is like in old H-town now. I might move back up that way one day.
Old 08-24-2002, 09:49 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: '89 IROC, '14 LTZ Burb, '18 H6 Outb
Engine: 355 TPI /w Vortec
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27
At least your not at that K-mart in TX!
Old 08-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: '89 IROC-Z
Engine: Canfield 195 headed 358ci
Transmission: TH350, Art Carr 9.5"
Axle/Gears: 3.92 Dana 44
Its like that everywhere. I dont like admiting it but I'm a hardcore street racer. What I do on the weekends is stupid and dangerous but NOTHING keeps me away from it. I've seen cars go into the woods at 100mph, I've gotten 5-point racing tickets, I've been through it all on the street and I keep doing it. It seems every 5 years or so street racing gets "hyped up" by the media or something and police crack down on it then it slowly comes back.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 iroc-z custom
Engine: 355 tuned port
Transmission: 5spd baby, only way to go
Axle/Gears: 3.45
i know here in toronto ontario canada, street racing is "supposedly" bigger then the street racing in california, now i dont have any evidence or back proof of this other then i have read it in papers and in mags and tv and stuff..maybe other torontoians can help me a bit?

anyways...no matter where you go you get harrased its the way society is now...we have to suck it up and deal with it...and eventually itll go away(policing the people who arent doing anything wrong) and well be able to do everything again...

but in my 6 years that i have been attending street racing in toronto, i think i have moved locations of meeting to race/car shows at least a couple of hundred times..
even though some of you dont like the fast and the furious, the scene when the cops show up when they are finished racing is totally exactically how it looks here in toronto...you gotta get the f**k out anyway possible...

(on a side note...my buddy had a done up talon full skirt kit and to avoid getting busted he jumped a curb cracked his skirts beyond repair just to get away)

sorry about being so long..just had to let you know that its everywhere that this is happening...even to your good ol friends of the north

iroc2nv
Old 08-24-2002, 02:24 PM

Car: 91 z28
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700r4
when i lived in alberta it usedto be ok. but some kid in a mustng was racin a pick up truck. he was goin up a hil it curved a bit and he lost control and went in to the other lanes head on into a car. he died instantly. the people in the other car had minor injuries. the kid was only like 18 and he had just gotten his licence and the car. so i can kinda see the cops point. they are gonna do what they can t o prevent it from happening. but anyways after that happened if there were more then 4 so called race cars in a pack they would break it up. it was either split up or they would tow ya car and impound it. we also usedto race at industrial areas but a new kid started commin out to cruise with us and it turned out his g/fs dad was a cop and he found out were we raced at. the kid told her dad and bam they knew everywhere we raced. westil lused t og oout sometimes but it usually got broken up. i stil lthink it sucked but they were just doin their jobs.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:35 PM

Oh yea man they're really cracking down around where I live too, Palmerton which is a town about 10 miles south of where I live, They have a NO CRUISING law where u can go past a certain point 3 times within 2 hours. And if you do, You get a big fine, Jim Thorpe which is about 2 miles north of Lehighton is adopting that kind of law too because ppl are sick and tired of it, I just think it's plain stupid! Luckily where I live they aren't planning on doing that, That's cuz my town has about 15,000 people compared to Palmerton's 8,000 and Jim Thorpe's 11,000. It's a pretty rural area up here and ppl don't tolerate loud cars, stereos, hangouts etc.
Old 08-24-2002, 04:14 PM
Supreme Member

yup its bad everwhere. I got a 6 point ticket for doing 2 weaves in MY lane last friday night. and then my friend and me almost had to go to jail for questioning because he slid a corner. 6 points and bout $200 for that. and since I was behind him, I was in trouble too. it sucks alot, we get tickets at least once a month, if not because of drivin because of tresspassing, loidering, or sitting with our stereo,lights, etc or ANYTHING that they can find to fine us. I partialy balme it on the ricers, around here the ricers think its "cool" to get tickets or go to jail. they do stuff so they get in trouble and look bad. I know that for a fact, I've heard lots of em say that.
Old 08-24-2002, 08:24 PM

Car: 84 Trans Am
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Originally posted by Camaro_1986_19
Oh yea man they're really cracking down around where I live too, Palmerton which is a town about 10 miles south of where I live, They have a NO CRUISING law where u can go past a certain point 3 times within 2 hours. And if you do, You get a big fine, Jim Thorpe which is about 2 miles north of Lehighton is adopting that kind of law too because ppl are sick and tired of it, I just think it's plain stupid! Luckily where I live they aren't planning on doing that, That's cuz my town has about 15,000 people compared to Palmerton's 8,000 and Jim Thorpe's 11,000. It's a pretty rural area up here and ppl don't tolerate loud cars, stereos, hangouts etc.
Is that constitutional?
Old 08-24-2002, 08:35 PM

lol i don't know dude, i guess it's the way the different town operates
Old 08-24-2002, 09:25 PM

in shawnee Oklahoma, I have seen many people just setting and chattin which is cool, but on the same street I have seen a few races, IMHO I believe that if you can see them then they are probably are not up to anything which is good, but yeah I can see where they are coming from with that law but I'd say that it is for the better
Old 08-25-2002, 11:44 AM

Car: 91 Firebird GTA
Wow, I thought stuff like this wasn't everywhere! A bunch of kids chill up by me in a type of plaza in Nanuet NY, there are now cops waiting for us in the parking lot-they stop you, check ur car, and if anythings wrong they give out tickets! and all we do there is just chill-its like a car show in a sense; but they don't like it!
it sucks!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails I hate cops. The street racing scene sucks now. WWTF!?-myfbird-web-2-copy.jpg  
Old 08-26-2002, 07:49 AM
Supreme Member

I go to at least two or three different spots every night because the cops keep making us leave. They don't hand out fines or anything, but that might be the next step.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:58 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 00 TA, 91 Formula, 89 RS
Engine: LS1 / 305 / 2.8, respectively
Transmission: T-56 / auto / auto
Originally posted by Camaro_1986_19
THAT IS FRICKING STUPID.

Old 08-26-2002, 11:45 AM

I live in the suburbs of Youngstown, Ohio, in Poland. On 224, the local hang out area, there are tons of parking lots that the local rice used to hang out at, but the store managers complained to the cops and the cops started to crackdown on them. They think that they are stopping street racing, when all they are doing is forcing the ricers to find new hangout spots. An interesting point is that the domestics, have been hanging out in the same parking lot on Fridays and Saturdays for a rather long time, and have not gotten hassled. Of course the cops will not do anything more drastic because Super Nationals, car shows, etc., are a major source of income for this area, so they just sit in there little cruisers and eat jelly doughnuts unless ppl are acting like complete dumbasses.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:02 PM

It happens where I'm at too. The ricers started hanging out in the one Giant parking lot, so us domestic guys started going to the other Giant. Now you can't even drive by there without getting a ticket/followed, etc. I think they're taking over a lot at the Circuit City now, but that probably won't last for long. We also have laws against cruising. I think its stupid. Where else can we go just to stand around and bull**** and look at other peoples cars?
Old 08-26-2002, 10:10 PM

It's like we can't even have our freedom anymore and chill out and talk with our friends
Old 08-26-2002, 10:44 PM

Car: '86 TransAm WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: Custom TH700R4
Down here in the Virginia Beach area, there have been a lot of crack-downs over the last few months. There was a big, informal meet at one shopping center, but enough dumb high school kids caused enough trouble to get it shut down. For a few weeks after the big bust, there were cops there every saturday and you risked a ticket just pulling in to the lot.

The main drag has a 'no cruising' law, which means that you cant go past the same point like twice in the same direction in an hour. Of course, if you just cruise the strip one way, turn around and cruise back, it takes an hour just to make the round trip. There are lots of cops there, mostly busting people for excessive tint, neons, etc. I got a warning there for only having one license plate (but no ticket)

There are a few sanctioned meting places where a group has arranged permission from the buisinesses in the area to meet on their property. There's an auto parts place that is an all-domestic-muscle meet. No imports allowed, and only a couple specific trucks.

Mostly, though, the scene is more confined to 'legit' meets than it used to be. It sucks.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:51 PM

Car: 1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 2dr Coupe
Engine: 403 Olds v8, bored .030 over
Transmission: 350 T.H. 3A, shift kit
Well it's not down here yet...they start tredding on me, I'll stomp on them...and I got a big foot...all the same...everybody join in a little singsong by the Who...

People try to put us down............
Old 08-27-2002, 07:15 PM
Supreme Member

Car: A Camaro
Engine: Weak
Transmission: Weaker
In Milwaukee, the scene was growing, which was cool, except for all of the FnF wannabies. Cops were mostly there to scare people and help out in accidents. They did bust people for cruising and racing, but not a lot. I just arrived here in Tempe, Arizona, and from what everybody tells me, they take pictures of your liscense plate! So cruising is apparently a big deal here. I've heard about some illegals, but I haven't taken the chance to go and check them out. I just really don't need a ticket, plus my car is running sh!tty.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:11 PM

Here in Yonkers, NY, people cruise to the nathans on central ave. Some nights are worse than others, but the standard affair is that there are about 4-5 cop cars at the main entrance checking people as they come in, and a car or two going through the parking lot. Nobody races, there's just too many cops around, but there are dumbasses in slow cars doing stupid crap in the parking lot causing the cops to come down hard. I have a lot of negative opinions on cops, but they should be there to make sure nobody does anything stupid. The cops up there, however, totally abuse their power and bust ***** for no reason. I almost got a ticket for having my car running while putting down my windows and convertible top, and I turned away to say hi to someone and he said I left my car unattended while running with the keys in the ignition. He realized what a stupid Ahole he his when I jingled the keys and told him it was running on remote start. A friend of mine got hassled for sitting on a beach chair he happened to have in his trunk. Even the racing in Hunts Point has gotten bad. You have to wait for 10 minutes to line up with a riced out civic only to get chased by the cops to the next spot and start all over again.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:42 PM

Car: 1978 Chevrolet C10
Engine: 350
Transmission: Turbo 350
thats how it was here in seattle, i hate it my own brother is a *****, i cant understand why my own family member would liek those cars that arent even sports cars when they try to "hook" them up, any ways when i have my car running i would go and meet up with some friends on the weekends up at a fred meyer which hosts a weekend car chow, you can cruse through their huge parking lot and look at cars, but once you leave the parkign lot there will be a cop fallowing you, if you do one thing wrong he will pull you over. i got pulled overfallowing too close, the cop was behind me so he couldnt see how close i was and plus it was comming up to a RED LIGHT so i had to stop no matter what. i dont understand it, if i had a business i would give domestic cars and truck promission as long as they dont abuse that privalage, but if the cops keep chasing us out of our hang out spots were will we go and what will we do, go race or goof off. so i guess im just strupid to not see their side, but i dont care, its crap but they can do that, thats government for ya.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:42 PM

well it wasnt too bad until there were 2 fatal accidents. One guy tried to pass someone in the shoulder, hit some kind of debris, lost control and flipped into the woods and the car blew up and killed him and his girlfriend. Then there was this dumb ***** who ran head on into a concrete bridge at 110 mph! You know, the huuuuge concrete supports that hold the bridge up? Yeah, the dummy ran right into one ! Since then, the police presence has doubled and now they have "copper choppers" too. . Makes it easier for them to chase us i guess.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:05 AM
Banned

Where I live there's a cruise every friday and saturday night. It's like a parade of cars. There's people filling the sidewalks watching the cars and trying to get rides. The streets are packed worse than 5 o'clock traffic. The PoPo drive through and ticket people for lots of stuff, but not just for cruising. There was even an article in my school newspaper last year about it.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:59 PM

Car: 1986 Z28
Engine: 355
Transmission: th400
Round here ther'es not much of a racing scene, we've got a 1/4 mile track in town, only 12 bucks to race.

It's fairly common/big in philadelphia, but i never watch it or participate it, never had the urge to participate, and it seems Juvenile when you can race and not risk fines

I do on occasion like to go to the lil meetings or gatherings in the big parking lots, but sitting at a fast food joint or whatever is really no fun with cars constantly in and out of the parking lot.

If it's a smallish parking lot outside a fast food joint, they can and will enforce the loitering laws anymore, which on one hand sucks but keeps problems and street racing minimal so it's cool.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:03 PM

Car: 91 RS Convertible
Engine: 355
Axle/Gears: 2.73 peg leg
I can completely understand and support cops busting street racing in populated or public areas. Think about it, guys...I know that when you're 17 you and everyone else around you is invincible, but tell that to the families of the people who have died because of street racing. Street racing should only be done as a last resort...only if there is no drag strip anywhere near you, and only in an extremely sparsely populated area while taking the proper safety precautions. Sure, I'm just as guilty as you guys for doing this, but after seeing what a mustang looks like after wrapping itself around a tree at 115 mph, you would change your mind, too.

As far as managers calling cops for people "hanging out" on their property, I can understand that, too, especially if you're not a paying customer. You don't own the property that you hang out on. You are a guest and are expected to treat the owners of the property with respect. Think about it. Would you want 2 dozen old people hanging out in your driveway at 7 am on Saturday morning blaring Lawrence Welk from their brown Buick Roadmasters? Something you could do to improve the situation is ask the manager if it's ok for your car club to meet there at a designated time once or twice a month. A lot of Dairy Queens and restaurants in TX allow this because it's ultimately good for business. If you are a paying customer at these locations. and aren't being disruptive and the managers are still calling the cops on you, don't eat there or buy anything there, ever. Convince your friends and everyone you can to do the same, and, most importantly, tell the manager and the owner what you are doing and why you are doing it. At the very least, he will know why his business is going down. I am in no way condoning cops busting kids simply because there is nothing better to do, or when they've done nothing wrong, but I grew up in a town where people "cruised", and it's the same everywhere...a lot of times kids bring the heat on themselves and deserve to get busted for being disrespectful of others and for endangering the lives of others.

James
Old 08-30-2002, 09:07 PM

Car: 1991 RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Axle/Gears: 2.73
So is there anywhere in America that's still America? You know, free?
Old 08-31-2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Homer
So is there anywhere in America that's still America? You know, free?
"free"

or "lawless"

everywhere in this country is "free" we elect people that make the laws we live by... if enough of us don't like a law we have the right to petition to ammend the law.. (equal rights, pohibition, hell even speed limits have been raised and lowered do to public outcry) no, no where in this country is anarchistic (thank ***) but there are laws NONE of us like.. i street race.. i street race every weekend.. (i know a lot of you are real anti street racing) and i got blocked in about 3 weeks ago.. (keep in mind this is done MILES from ANY house, and on straight roads that stretch further than you could EVER see, and is pretty organized) when the cops came i didn't run, and was very respectful, because the cop is JUST doing his job... i go street racing.. understanding i could get a ticket... that is a risk i accept.. funny thing is that night they let me go... they were REAL nice...so i was pretty happy i didn't run.. i think it would have only pissed him off more
Old 08-31-2002, 07:26 PM

I live in a pretty small town (about 7500 people). Its a small town right off of the interstate and about the only place for 40 miles where you can get food and gas. So we hang out at the sonic drive in right off the freeway and challenge anybody with an eye catching car to a race, if they accept we tell them to follow us. We go out to a frontage road that is straight as an arrow, flat as a board and is about 5 miles long, no houses on it at all and no intersecting roads. The cops have only showed up once within the last year and everyone was parked at the time. So they told us they knew whats going on and if they catch us they will arrest us and impound are cars and all that stuff then they left. But so far we have been fine but its only because we do it so seclusively and no one has wrecked or anything since we have been doing this. There are alot of idiots here with civics and **** that go and cause trouble and if they show up when we are racing we just tell them to leave and they do. Although on special occasions we will embaress them just for the hell of it. If we wanted to be completely risk free we could drive to the closest track which is about 150 miles away. Which we do on occasion to see what kind of times we are running or if we have added new mods and want to see the difference. But until someone gets hurt or in trouble this will continue to happen. My town is small but its growing fast so shouldnt be too long before somthing happens.
Old 09-01-2002, 12:19 AM

Car: '89 RS
Engine: 9C1 w/ TPI
Transmission: rebuilt 700R4
Here in memphis the cops are a joke. All we do is streetrace. We'll race for a few hours...cops will come, we'll leave, park down the street for about 10 minutes, then go back, race a few more hours, cops will come, we'll go down the street and park for 10 minutes (or leave cause it's late), then go back and race till whenever. We have about 3 HUGE spots where it's like that. I guess in a city like memphis, where the crime is bad...there's a lot more important things to worry about. Don't get me wrong....we get busted up nearly every night, and sometimes they'll get some people...but that's usually how it goes. Personally i hate cruising/parking in lots....so i dunno how the cops are about that, but i dont think they say a word.